Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 12:13 PM

234 posts, read 304,040 times

Advertisements

And OP, Coeur D’alene really is a beautiful spot. I visited there several times when I lived in WA. It’ll be cheaper than down here, but you can easily spend 400/500k up there for a house as well. It’s nice that it’s still pretty close to a city the size of Spokane for shopping and medical care. If I was going to move to Idaho, that is where I would go.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:29 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Curious what towns or cities people have moved out to Idaho from CA and what was the experience like? Can anyone suggest a city similar that has the gold country feel to it. How were you received once you got there? Starting to do some real looking as CA is becoming more of a challenge every day.
I will not address politics that people insist on bringing up. I was a life-long Californian, as was my father before me. Upon retirement, I packed up and moved to North Idaho. I'm in a small town a few miles outside Coeur d'Alene. "How was I received once I got here?" With open arms. So much so that after only being here for three years, the people of my town voted me on to the city council. I'm in my fourth year now and love it. You couldn't get me to come back, even if you gave me an beach house in Malibu in which to live.

Wallace, in the Silver Valley and close to the Montana border is a town that if you were to wholesale move it to the Mother Lode, it would not be out of place. There are some other small towns in the Silver Valley that are old mining towns, but they don't have the character that Wallace has. (There are still operating mines in the area.) Interstate 90 runs through the Silver Valley.

Don't know much about southern Idaho, but take a look at Salmon in the east-central part. That is very similar to what you are seeking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
And OP, Coeur D’alene really is a beautiful spot. I visited there several times when I lived in WA. It’ll be cheaper than down here, but you can easily spend 400/500k up there for a house as well. It’s nice that it’s still pretty close to a city the size of Spokane for shopping and medical care. If I was going to move to Idaho, that is where I would go.
FYI, I rarely find the need to head in to Spokane for anything. Good medical here in CdA and plenty of shopping. We even have a Costco . . . and NEVER a line at the gas pumps. One can purchase a modest, comfortable, fairly-new construction home in the $350K range. However, inventory is low, so it's a 'seller's market' and all that goes along with that.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-19-2020, 12:59 PM

234 posts, read 304,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

FYI, I rarely find the need to head in to Spokane for anything. Good medical here in CdA and plenty of shopping. We even have a Costco . . . and NEVER a line at the gas pumps. One can purchase a modest, comfortable, fairly-new construction home in the $350K range. However, inventory is low, so it's a 'seller's market' and all that goes along with that.

Good points. Yea I didn't want to try and make it seem like CDL was a po dunk little town. It's definitely not, it's very much a resort/vacation type of area and there is money there. I just know that there are some high level hospitals in Spokane that people from northern Idaho can take advantage of because they are so close. (Sacred Heart and Deaconess)

Old 07-19-2020, 04:29 PM

521 posts, read 733,693 times
We are moving from San Diego to Coeur d'Alene in August. Beautiful area and we are very excited. I believe there used to be a hate group (Aryan Nations) near Hayden, which is a city near CDA. But apparently it is no longer based out of that area anymore. Definitely less diversity than SD but most of the people there seem extremely nice and helpful.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:35 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,056,308 times
Shouldn't this thread be in the Idaho listing?

Old 07-19-2020, 06:50 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Shouldn't this thread be in the Idaho listing?
Not with all the people moving there. Four families of friends left SD County for Idaho.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:01 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,056,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
We are moving from San Diego to Coeur d'Alene in August. Beautiful area and we are very excited. I believe there used to be a hate group (Aryan Nations) near Hayden, which is a city near CDA. But apparently it is no longer based out of that area anymore. Definitely less diversity than SD but most of the people there seem extremely nice and helpful.
You will be STARED at everywhere you go, a lot. Don't speak Spanish in public unless you have to. People will tell you "go back to Mexico" or will think you should live in Spokane. It's a very different mindset up there. Native Americans who live near there get ignorantly called "Mexicans".

My nephew moved from Castaic to Post Falls and he said that it was some of the worst discrimination he's ever seen in his life. He has since come back to California and has no desire to ever go back to Idaho. Way too many racist ex-California residents have moved up there. My nephew thought it was "beautiful" too, but that wears off when you've got to deal one with microagression after the next, and put up with people's not so subtle comments.

All of these people saying not to move to Idaho and change it, have done just that, though. I teach History and Political Science and if you go back to the 1970s and early 80s, Idaho was a semi-progressive state that elected Democrats, even liberals like Frank Church. All of these waves of conservative Californians have made Idaho turn from a moderate independent state to a place where you better not criticize Donald Trump.

People will try to deny this on these boards, but I have seen it myself when I visited.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:09 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,763,030 times
The only place in Idaho you'll find a moderate support for Democrats is in the Boise area. However the term "Leftist" would NOT be in favor. Currently there is a move to remove the current Democratic mayor out of her position. It is said because she is TOO far to the left. Unlike the other cities such as Seattle, Portland and the like that have had violence erupt due to their protests, Boise has had peaceful ones without the violence. Besides, the police (NOT defunded there) won't allow it. Idaho has it's act very much together where peace and order is concerned. The rest of the State for the most part is quite conservative. Personally, that's why I'm here

Old 07-19-2020, 09:54 PM

607 posts, read 2,369,366 times
Didn't want this to turn into a NIMBY post. I'm not looking to bring CA to ID in anything other than a move to get away from the madness here. Just trying to see if there are smaller towns (maybe 5000 or less) because of the nuances of small town living: That might have 4 seasons, trees instead of plains feel to it. That is a great place for kids, and has good schools (high school/college), health care and shopping within a reasonable drive.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:56 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
I had a friend that moved to Sandpoint to take care of his mother, and had culture shock. Especially in the winter when the snow was up above the window sills. He said it was the first time he had ever shoveled snow, and it would be the last time, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California