Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:49 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,360 times

Advertisements

What would be your parameters?

My list included

No jails or probation camps
(what is missed were juvenile group homes which are scattered around and not advertised.. now I can spot them a mile away with a local practiced eye)

No natural hazards,, dams (flooding), one way roads (exits in fires), power stations (ugly/emfs), railroads (haz mat incidents)

Industrial waste/dumps etc

Good water (in my case community water.. with a fire hydrant)
This became paramount after I lived through a couple of wildfires

Easy commute to town with level 1 trauma facility
hey.. we all get older.. in my case I wanted no more than 30 minutes.. I got 15

Easy access to recreation
In my case it ended up being 10 minutes door to boat launch

Area of nicer homes
This is subjective,, and where I live homes are all over the map

Nice local college
I have that.. Shasta

Quieter community..
I could care less about night life.. the only night life I want to see are the animals.. and NOT the two legged ones

Affordable land
By California standards.. which again is wholly subjective

What would each of you like to see???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
High speed internet access. (more important than air, water, food, shelter,...)

Sustainable wealth or a job for cash flow.

Close to a fire station. (you can define close).

Cell coverage.

Gasoline or diesel generator, preferably with 220, three phase to run your well pump.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,728,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
High speed internet access. (more important than air, water, food, shelter,...)
Really ??? Give me a break Charles !!! Twenty years ago, nobody had internet access and they all managed to survive. How did you get by without it?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
None of that sounds like rural living to me Y'all got modern conveniences right nearby.

I do appreciate having broadband access. It's not provided by any big company, just a local geek who wanted broadband and got a T-1 line and he broadcasts wirelessly from his hilltop.

Then again, I consider any town with a traffic signal to be a big city.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Really ??? Give me a break Charles !!! Twenty years ago, nobody had internet access and they all managed to survive. How did you get by without it?
Survive with what quality of life? People survived before penicillin, surgery, antibiotics, and toilet paper too.

It was a lot harder to make good decisions back then. When making a purchase, people often relied on the advice of sales weasels. It's so easy to research now - the world's biggest high speed library.

In my next life I'd like a on board wireless card on my brain.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In my next life I'd like a on board wireless card on my brain.
I tell my husband he needs a USB port in his head he can plug his flash drive into.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,360 times
Power is important...

PG & E is outrageous in price... and if you have to bring it very far it can be prohibitive.. way more than I have found in other states... 50k a mile..or more...and thats a starting price

In my case I have lines all over my property.. but I got to buy a transformer... about 3500.00 8 years ago.. and some pole wire separators to protect the birds of prey (which PGE passes directly along to each customer) another grand for two pieces of wood.. and then there was the 100 ' underground wire pull and drop from the pole.. total bill.. about 8 grand...

They made me pay up front.. including a 5k deposit.. which they ended up keeping for three years while they declared bankruptcy (which we all know was bogus and was a way to force higher rates). I finally got it back through class action court action.. but I consider them dishonorable dirtbags as a company

Ok if it comes through I have no use for PG and E... well.. its true..I dont. Im pre plumbed for major solar.. but I havent pulled the trigger on the 30k for a full time system as we arent sure we are staying here

I forgot to add about fire protection.. which up here is PARAMOUNT to safety... I get served by three entities (Shasta College, Jones Valley VFD, and CAL FIRE) so Im pretty lucky

Everything out here is on satellite... we laugh about phone service which can be iffy.. every time we see the PAC BELL truck at the end of the road we know we are going to have phone trouble because they are out of lines and hook up to any dial tone not in current use

Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM

16 posts, read 47,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
None of that sounds like rural living to me Y'all got modern conveniences right nearby.

I do appreciate having broadband access. It's not provided by any big company, just a local geek who wanted broadband and got a T-1 line and he broadcasts wirelessly from his hilltop.

Then again, I consider any town with a traffic signal to be a big city.
I was gonna say the same thing - what you want is to live in a city where all those things are available. OK, you might have to punch your own well, but seriously - if you want true "rural" you're gonna have to decide you can do without some of your city conveniences - otherwise, honestly, I can't see you moving to a rural area and being anything but disappointed, or worse, stuck someplace you're miserable. Because the rural parts - they aren't gonna change much at all, and even minor changes will be resisted kicking and screaming!

TVS

Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
Enough trees of burnable / lumber quality wood, with minimal harvesting restrictions, to allow self sufficiency.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
this thread is four years old.
Yeah but I got repped for my last post on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California