Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 09:22 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maganita View Post
Thank you. I do get a bit lost here. I'm not old enough yet for Medicare in CA. On Medi-cal strictly. My understanding is Medi-cal has a limit of either $1,500 - 2,000 monetary value (minus home and car). I would be very pleased if this inheritance didn't count against me....guess I'll look up that link (unfortunately printer is broken...of course)

I am aware of if I use Medi-cal long term care (which looks immenent in the future....have not planned very well here due to my disabilities and erratic work history) they can grab assets from me).

Any possible way to share the link above so I can click it?
No medi-cal does not count an inheritance unless you are also getting medicare. I posted a link to that earlier, but don't hire an attorney, call your local DCSS office. California started using MAGI (adjusted gross income) to determine qualification for medi-cal 3 years ago, they don't count assets - just your reported income. It gets stickier if you get medi-cal and medicare because then your assets are counted. Here is the link I posted earlier, it lists what is counted and what isn't: https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/med...art_010119.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 11:47 AM

63 posts, read 46,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No medi-cal does not count an inheritance unless you are also getting medicare. I posted a link to that earlier, but don't hire an attorney, call your local DCSS office. California started using MAGI (adjusted gross income) to determine qualification for medi-cal 3 years ago, they don't count assets - just your reported income. It gets stickier if you get medi-cal and medicare because then your assets are counted. Here is the link I posted earlier, it lists what is counted and what isn't: https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/med...art_010119.pdf
Ok, thank you...yes I'm not sure why I missed that...I think I got confused. i'm assuming I will be on medicare when I turn 65....so theres another concern there (down the road but wish to plan for it)....where they can take assets if use them as long term care (not house, car, limited amount of money)....but thats specifically for when I go to a "home".

I will check out the links above....I did just talk to access coordinator at my local clinic and she told me pretty much what you said above. Strangely, when I research Medi-cal in CA, it just really did not clarify this....only a few days in fear. I'm so happy...largely as the community health care clinic I go to is linked to a "wellness center" which has been awesome over the years. Acupuncture, qigung, yoga, mega different kinds of wellness classes, smoking cessation classes, access to integrative doctors. Currently I am attending weekly posture classes re zoom, for significant issues in my lumbar region, and they are amazing.

Thank you so much for you help, even if it took me a couple of times!!

Old 08-14-2020, 02:57 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maganita View Post
Ok, thank you...yes I'm not sure why I missed that...I think I got confused. i'm assuming I will be on medicare when I turn 65....so theres another concern there (down the road but wish to plan for it)....where they can take assets if use them as long term care (not house, car, limited amount of money)....but thats specifically for when I go to a "home".

I will check out the links above....I did just talk to access coordinator at my local clinic and she told me pretty much what you said above. Strangely, when I research Medi-cal in CA, it just really did not clarify this....only a few days in fear. I'm so happy...largely as the community health care clinic I go to is linked to a "wellness center" which has been awesome over the years. Acupuncture, qigung, yoga, mega different kinds of wellness classes, smoking cessation classes, access to integrative doctors. Currently I am attending weekly posture classes re zoom, for significant issues in my lumbar region, and they are amazing.

Thank you so much for you help, even if it took me a couple of times!!
No problem at all, glad I could help you. When you are medicare eligible (at 65) your assets including the inheritance will count toward your qualification, so at that point if you still have money from the inheritance if I were you, I would probably forego medi-cal and pay for part B medicare and a good supplement which will cover all of your medical needs with not much out of pocket. But if you are over 65 and end up in long term care they will go after your inheritance to pay for your care. But there are attorneys who have ways around that so when you turn 65 you might want to consult with one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: