Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 09:28 AM

8,344 posts, read 6,438,626 times

Advertisements

They have to be employees of the company now, with all the rules and requirements that entails. No more work the hours you can or want to. No more independent jobs as a side job.
The Democrats are so beholden to the unions they do anything the unions say so the unions will continue to fund their election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 09:38 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,459,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The Democrats are so beholden to the unions they do anything the unions say so the unions will continue to fund their election.
Example: State employees union, which is totally useless, but funds a whole lot of reelection campaigns.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:43 AM

590 posts, read 932,485 times
Another bill not voted on by California citizens. The Dems are just gleefully rolling in the slop as they use their super majority to push bill after bill through without involving voters.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:05 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
They have to be employees of the company now, with all the rules and requirements that entails. No more work the hours you can or want to. No more independent jobs as a side job.
So, why don’t Republicans do things to cause the unions to support them?

And, while we’re playing “20 Questions” ... what possible negative difference does this make in the daily lives of the average forum poster?

Old 09-12-2019, 10:18 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,290,056 times
they just need to change their business model, like AirBNB

Old 09-12-2019, 10:31 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,954 times
This isn’t going to kill off Uber and the likes. In the end, for you and me, all it’s gonna do is raise our costs to use these services. As for the workers, they’ll now get minimum wage, sick/vacation hours, access to worker comp, unemployment, etc, but don’t be surprised if what they’re making now goes down. I’m sure these companies will restructure the current commission rate to help offset these new costs so all are not passed onto the consumer making them think twice about using their services.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,336,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
Another bill not voted on by California citizens. The Dems are just gleefully rolling in the slop as they use their super majority to push bill after bill through without involving voters.
But but but....look at much more efficient one party rule is. No partisan gridlock. At least they get things done. Maybe not all the things you like, but at least stuff gets done.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 AM

740 posts, read 457,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So, why don’t Republicans do things to cause the unions to support them?

And, while we’re playing “20 Questions” ... what possible negative difference does this make in the daily lives of the average forum poster?

Because there are people who actually do this these things for a living and they like it the way it is. I don't work for any of these companies but as an entrepreneur, I run my business as an independent contractor (1099) and that is the way I like it. If I wanted to be an employee, I would go and get a freaking job. I hope this sh*t doesn't creep into my industry or I'm going to be pissed as hell.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 AM

102,219 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Because there are people who actually do this these things for a living and they like it the way it is. I don't work for any of these companies but as an entrepreneur, I run my business as an independent contractor (1099) and that is the way I like it. If I wanted to be an employee, I would go and get a freaking job. I hope this sh*t doesn't creep into my industry or I'm going to be pissed as hell.
No, not all of them like the way it is. This will be a huge boon for massage therapists, who will finally have stable employment with benefits. The massage field is very weird, with some employers requiring they put in unpaid time, unpredictable scheduling, and so on. The gig economy isn't all its' cracked up to be, not by a mile.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:34 AM

590 posts, read 932,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
But but but....look at much more efficient one party rule is. No partisan gridlock. At least they get things done. Maybe not all the things you like, but at least stuff gets done.
It's not whether I like what they're passing or not, it's the fact that my constitutional right to vote as an American citizen has been removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California