Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2022, 10:22 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times

Advertisements

“A best selling author from the SF Bay Area has been in Puget Sound nearly a year living the boating lifestyle..”

Dude, I so want that gig .

Old 07-11-2022, 11:00 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Why people are moving to California, I couldn't tell you.
Whatever doesn't fit your narrative.... is a mystery?

Quote:
Tulemutt has been continually chastising ex-Californian's for bashing California
in the state forum and HE DOESN'T EVEN LIVE IN CALIFORNIA???
So you can leave the state, and bash it on CD, but for someone to leave the state,
and say positive things about it, is somehow improper? How does that work?

Old 07-12-2022, 02:05 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Whatever doesn't fit your narrative.... is a mystery?

So you can leave the state, and bash it on CD, but for someone to leave the state,
and say positive things about it, is somehow improper? How does that work?
You misunderstand me twice.

First point. How do I know why people moving to CA want to go there? I am not mind reader and can't speak for them.

Second point. I wasn't the one telling people they can't post in the California forums unless they live there. Tulemutt was, among others.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 07-12-2022 at 02:32 AM..

Old 07-12-2022, 03:03 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,561,780 times
Quote:

First point. How do I know why people moving to CA want to go there? I am not mind reader and can't speak for them.

Second point. I wasn't the one telling people they can't post in the California forums unless they live there. Tulemutt was, among others.
Feel free to post where Tulemutt or anyone said what you claim.

I think it's fair to question why someone would come into a forum for the sole reason to bash after they've moved away (which is probably what you're referring too).

I also agree that you and others aren't mind readers, but when it comes to the reasons why people leave, many of you appear to be know-it-alls (and you're not).

I think one could surmise that the majority of people that leave were priced out. Unfortunately for the narrative you and others try to push, being priced out isn't synonymous with "hating" a place.

And it has been mentioned before, but bears repeating, if not for the financial side of the equation, I think it's clear the vast majority of Americans would prefer to live in California for all the wonderful amenities it offers.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:17 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Wait, wut?

Tulemutt has been continually chastising ex-Californian's for bashing California in the state forum and HE DOESN'T EVEN LIVE IN CALIFORNIA???
Quote:

Let’s revisit one last time and put the issue to rest shall we?

I don’t “bash ex-Californians” … for anything.
1. I welcome their absence and thank them for leaving. Always.
2. I also hold them to account for accuracy of their critiques.

Same for people who have never set in California …
1. Thanks for not coming …
2. Validate any critiques.

As for where I live? I live wherever I feel like being at any given point in time. I’m retired. I hold CA residencies, driver’s license, voter registration, library card, etc.

Like poster MechAndy - whom I note is never challenged on his ‘dual residency’ or legitimacies of posting - I also have a place in northwest Washington State. Furthermore, I have a place in Hawaii, as well. When Covid hit I retreated to my Washington island property cabin for almost two years where I took care of my ailing wife (who passed away there). Now her property and the cabin I built for her are mine and one of my sons is taking it over while I resume my nomadic ways (with a lovely new girlfriend from up in Washington).

California (since mid-1960s). Washington (on and off almost as long). Hawaii (in service and off and on extended stays at times since mid-1960s).

All interested parties up to date now?

Carry on

Old 07-12-2022, 09:04 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Beach, I always thought you were a free market guy, now you want the government to step in and control what people can sell their houses for, or should the government build tens of thousands of units of low rent housing and then pick the winners and losers as to who would be able to rent one, that sounds awful leftist/woke/YIMBY to me
For decades, California local gov'ts have constrained housing growth. I want that to stop, & promote the free market so builders can build new homes of all sizes and shapes...including homes <$500k.

There has been NO free market for new homes in Cali for decades due to local govt intervention.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:32 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
For decades, California local gov'ts have constrained housing growth. I want that to stop, & promote the free market so builders can build new homes of all sizes and shapes...including homes <$500k.

There has been NO free market for new homes in Cali for decades due to local govt intervention.

If you wanted to stop it, then perhaps it would have behooved you to stay in CA

Old 07-12-2022, 10:11 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
"People who move to California are different from those who move out. In general, those who move here are more likely to be working age, to be employed, and to earn high wages—and are less likely to be in poverty—than those who move away.
Those who move to California also tend to have higher education levels"

https://www.ppic.org/blog/whos-leavi...hos-moving-in/

Old 07-12-2022, 10:14 AM

42,844 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

nope, that is not responsive to what I said. Housing prices are set based on supply and demand, not on a whim of local government. That is how the free market works. You inferred that we need to step on that and set fixed prices for homes, or mandate what kind of housing a builder can construct (i.e. low income or luxury).

Old 07-12-2022, 10:16 AM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
"People who move to California are different from those who move out. In general, those who move here are more likely to be working age, to be employed, and to earn high wages—and are less likely to be in poverty—than those who move away.
Those who move to California also tend to have higher education levels"

https://www.ppic.org/blog/whos-leavi...hos-moving-in/
You also have a lot more in the way of foreign born immigrants coming in and more in the way of Americans moving out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California