Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:55 AM

2,224 posts, read 772,177 times

Advertisements

Well said gizmo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 06:46 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
True words when you are in your 20's. I felt the same way until I was in my 30's and wanted different things out of life. CA is really all that depending on where you live, what stage of life you are in, your finances, when you bought your home, your career and how far you have to commute in traffic. Otherwise, CA can start to feel like you are spinning your wheels and you aren't getting anywhere. Although, that feeling is also pretty normal on any given day on the 405 or other horrible parts of the freeway I was a true CA snob and I thought no other state could possibly compare until I moved away this summer. I now realize it really is how you look at things and I have decided to start looking at all of NC's wonderful features instead of what makes it "not CA." So, it kind of goes both ways and I will be the first to admit, I was starting to get really negative about CA. I felt like CA was holding us back from being a successful, prosperous family. We were making around $90, 000 a year, but we were living in a rental and working like dogs. Yes, we could have left our beautiful, overpriced coastal town and moved somewhere cheaper in the desert or something, but to us that meant we were leaving the part of CA that we loved, so we might as well move to another state.
I'll keep that in mind...thanx

Old 12-29-2006, 07:23 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,146 times
I would love to live in CA but its terribly expensive. Northern CA in a medium city best suits me. I dont want LA because of crime and urban sprawl. Yuba city looks good but id still need half a million for a nice big house

Old 12-29-2006, 09:01 AM
jmc

101 posts, read 862,684 times
Quote:
Part of their California "withdrawal" is to bad mouth the place.
Wow, well said!!! We are leaving California within days, moving east for a job transfer. I love California and will miss it...it was my dream to move here, and at 28, I DID move here! One of the best decisions I've ever made. Excellent posts above...CA has it all but comes at a financial price. For those of you who call this place home, enjoy sunny CA for me as we relocate to the east coast.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:04 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,146 times
You can always vacation in CA. I cant even afford Florida much less CA but theres alot I dont like about FL, hurricanes being one of them! Ill be sure to visit FL often but live elsewhere

Old 12-29-2006, 09:30 PM

38,870 posts, read 22,857,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy29 View Post
California basically has every type of
Even though this state may have over 37 million people,you'll be surprised to still find many areas that are Sparsely Populated or Rural.
I read somewhere that the majority of California's population live within 90 miles of the coast. The rest of the land, along with the climate in those areas, is not considered "desirable", and would therefore be less expensive than the coastal areas. Bottom line--the population of this state is anything but evenly distributed!

Old 12-30-2006, 08:36 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,798 times
If you can "afford" to live in California then it is the best place to live! We moved out to Texas 2 years ago to retire and are planning on moving back to California ASAP! If you cannot afford owning a home in a nice area in California then I can understand the people that do not like California. Like Fastfilm, If I lived in the gettos and could not afford to move out of it then I would not be happy either. I only lived in nice areas so that was never a issue for us. I love the weather, the coast, the mountains, and the people-diversity (people from all over the world live in California). It is not for everyone but boy how I do miss it.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
If you can "afford" to live in California then it is the best place to live! We moved out to Texas 2 years ago to retire and are planning on moving back to California ASAP! If you cannot afford owning a home in a nice area in California then I can understand the people that do not like California. Like Fastfilm, If I lived in the gettos and could not afford to move out of it then I would not be happy either. I only lived in nice areas so that was never a issue for us. I love the weather, the coast, the mountains, and the people-diversity (people from all over the world live in California). It is not for everyone but boy how I do miss it.
We lived in a nice area when we were there (providing there can be anything nice about Fresno ), however I still do not wish to ever live there again. Some of us prefer not to have wall to wall people, concrete jungles and brown skies.

You're right it's not for everyone. After being born and raised there, left as soon as possible and we've never regretted our choice.

There's no problem with folks liking it, it simply isn't my choice of the good life

Old 12-30-2006, 03:16 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Well if you want to escape the prices head out to Fresno or Modesto. Both cities are high in poverty and crime is rising, but it shouldn't be too bad. I have family you lived in North Hollywood. They wanted more house for their buck, so they moved out to Perris, California. It is a little more than an hours drive from Downtown, but they like it. I think a lot of people are moving farther and farther out, and more urban centers are popping up.

I like California a lot, though. My mom is from Los Angeles. I have a ton of family all over the Los Angeles area, and some in San Francisco. I have a few cousins in Fresno, too. California has beaches, plains, deserts, mountains, it is all there. I always like visiting the place and seeing all of the natural beauty. Everyone must drive on 210 in San Francisco. It will take your breath away.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:17 PM

150 posts, read 799,110 times
Yes, it is 'all that'. We only left because of the costs associated with maintaining our pleasant, but not sybaritic, lifestyle. I'd have stayed forever in Ventura County. Every now and then my husband has to remind me of the expenses we would incur compared to living in Oregon and I return to earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California