Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 08:14 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
As long as the CA weather stays good there will continue to be homeless people. If you were homeless would you rather spend your summers in 115 degree heat in Phoenix (which kills bunches of homeless and illegal immigrants each year) or 85 degree weather on the beautiful CA coast. I cant think of anywhere I'd rather be homeless then the CA coast.

It's not about the weather. It's not about lack of money. It's about policy.

The documentary Seattle is Dying on YouTube also talked about how homelessness has skyrocketed there over the last decade. They pointed out that states like Rhode Island will arrest drug addicts and give them a choice "jail or rehab". For those who choose rehab, they give them the meds to keep them off meth (if that's what they're addicted to), they're required to go to support groups, etc. They get every possible tool for support, but in a jail like setting. And they're required to continue taking the meds and doing the support when they get out.

It's not perfect, but it works a whole lot better than decriminalizing drugs, letting people steal, camp on the street, and generally do whatever the heck they want.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:11 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
In my opinion, most California transplants make a terrible mistake when they relocate from the most diverse, populous and urbanized metropolitan areas, such as Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego and San Francisco, for example, to small, non-diverse, economically lackluster cities in nearby states, such as Albuquerque, Bend, Boise, Carson City, Eugene, Spokane, Tucson and Yakima among others. Usually, these transplants cite arid weather, mountainous topography and geographic proximity to California as the primary reasons why they selected their new Western locale, but over time, they realize that these factors are largely unimportant to the social health and economic vitality of their families. For the most part, California and Utah are the only Western states that have the social support infrastructure of Eastern states, mostly due to the longer histories and less dynamic populations of California and Utah relative to other Western states. In my experience, other Western states score markedly low from a social capital perspective, especially Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico.

Based on my personal observations, the California transplants who are the happiest and most well-adjusted in their out-of-state relocations are those who relocate to the older, more established cities of the Eastern United States and, therefore, make more of a 90-degree change than a 180-degree change in terms of social capital and economic competitiveness. Some of the happiest California transplants I have ever met live in cities such as Atlanta, Columbus, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Providence, Raleigh and Rochester among others.
I actually agree with this. I wouldn't recommend my actual town, but the Midwest is a very good relocation destination with low cost-of-living, infrastructure and (outside of a few still-struggling Rust Belt cities) good employment opportunities. Most people will say they can't handle a real winter, which is why they want to stay out west or move to the Southeast US, but I'm happy I came this way. You still have easy access to good restaurants, brewpubs, Trader Joes, the arts, etc in Northern cities of any size without the outrageous cost-of-living. The one thing I always said I missed about the Bay Area was the food, but it looks like most of my old favorites have closed down (probably due to the rents) in favor of monotonous fusion crap.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:33 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,371,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext88 View Post
Fake. This "rich exodus", i.e. Musk et al, all have the funds to pick up and leave and go wherever they want whenever. And when they get tired of Texas they'll all come back.
I guess you don't realize - Musk is the richest guy in CA ($148B) and Ellison is the second richest ($66B) - their taxes leaving CA means more than potentially all the others leaving combined. They have absolutely no reason to come back and pay more taxes.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
In my opinion, most California transplants make a terrible mistake when they relocate from the most diverse, populous and urbanized metropolitan areas, such as Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego and San Francisco, for example, to small, non-diverse, economically lackluster cities in nearby states, such as Albuquerque, Bend, Boise, Carson City, Eugene, Spokane, Tucson and Yakima among others. Usually, these transplants cite arid weather, mountainous topography and geographic proximity to California as the primary reasons why they selected their new Western locale, but over time, they realize that these factors are largely unimportant to the social health and economic vitality of their families. For the most part, California and Utah are the only Western states that have the social support infrastructure of Eastern states, mostly due to the longer histories and less dynamic populations of California and Utah relative to other Western states. In my experience, other Western states score markedly low from a social capital perspective, especially Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico.

Based on my personal observations, the California transplants who are the happiest and most well-adjusted in their out-of-state relocations are those who relocate to the older, more established cities of the Eastern United States and, therefore, make more of a 90-degree change than a 180-degree change in terms of social capital and economic competitiveness. Some of the happiest California transplants I have ever met live in cities such as Atlanta, Columbus, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Providence, Raleigh and Rochester among others.
I would say that this is not a choice that most would make - CA large city transplants are more likely to move to Phoenix, Las Vegas, Portland, Seattle and Denver than these western places or more eastern cities you named. Also a few of these choices are really strange - Who moves to places like Kansas City, Providence or Rochester from San Diego, SF or LA. I think your east coat bias is showing.

I think you put too much stock in what you are calling social capital. Albuquerque and Tucson are very diverse and significantly more interesting than some of these other cities and way more likely to appeal to those coming from CA cities. I have lived or worked in or near some of those cities on both lists - the only ones that I would even consider are Tucson and Carson City on the one list; Jacksonville and Raleigh on the other.

Old 12-31-2020, 05:33 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,018 times
Here is another reason why companies and people will want to leave California. They don’t want to be controlled like the government does in China.

California-based companies must have at least one board director by the end of 2021 who is a*racial or sexual minority. By 2022, that bumps to two such directors for smaller boards and to three for boards with nine or more directors. It follows a similar California-first requirement for female board directors.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I personally don't know of a single person who has left California. Sorry!
You must not know very many people then. Where I worked in CA, about half that retired moved out of state soon after.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaResiding View Post
This story will never end lol. People will always leave California due to a High COL and there will be plenty of people coming in from other states to live in California for their jobs and personal reasons. These stories are never ending. California's population increased by like 7 million in the past 20 years.

Furthermore, if everyone was leaving why does California's population get higher every year
The issue is with the tax base, those coming in do not replace the tax base of those leaving. IRS migration data shows that, over 60,000 Californians moved out of the state in 2018, resulting in a net loss of $8 billion in adjusted gross income. From 2010 to 2018, according to analysis of IRS data, CA state’s tax base shrank by nearly $25 billion.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:43 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I think Elon had seven, and could have afforded a lot more.
oh no! The state will have to declare bankruptcy because Elon moved out

Old 01-01-2021, 12:36 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
oh no! The state will have to declare bankruptcy because Elon moved out
Can be silly and glib about it, but the top 1% pay over 1/2 of California taxes, can't fund services, or union handouts, without their taxes.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:42 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Sorry for being late here. The California exodus is real to a degree but like what happens often, the media makes it sound worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California