Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,387 times

Advertisements

In California? I live in the bay area, so I realize I'll have to travel a bit. But I want to take a short vacation and be able to swim in warm ocean water on a hot day. Can you do this in LA or is the water too cold? Will I have to travel as far as San Diego? Or is the water too cold to swim in at all anywhere in the state.

I miss being able to go to Florida and enjoy the ocean. Where can I find this in Cailfornia? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 11:04 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjack123 View Post
In California? I live in the bay area, so I realize I'll have to travel a bit. But I want to take a short vacation and be able to swim in warm ocean water on a hot day. Can you do this in LA or is the water too cold? Will I have to travel as far as San Diego? Or is the water too cold to swim in at all anywhere in the state.

I miss being able to go to Florida and enjoy the ocean. Where can I find this in Cailfornia? Thanks!
You’d have to wear a wetsuit in Ca. I heard on the radio that a lot of people have been going to Cabo to get away from the Ca lockdown

Old 01-28-2021, 11:57 PM

353 posts, read 437,596 times
Quote:
No where. The closest body of warm water is the Gulf of California which is in Mexico.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:22 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,663,523 times
Sea temperatures at San Diego area beaches have been known to get into the mid to upper 70s in the late summer. But that’s dependent on factors such as El Niño and remnants of tropical cyclones. I recall being at La Jolla Shores Beach in September 2019 and the water was quite warm (upper 70s).

Generally, summer sea temperatures at So Cal beaches range from the upper 60s to the low 70s. The California Current off our coast is a cold current with lots of upwelling of colder water, so you’re going to find average sea temperatures staying in the 50s and 60s. I would head for southern Baja and the Mexican Riviera for warmer sea temperatures comparable to Florida.

https://www.surf-forecast.com/

Last edited by sacreole; 01-29-2021 at 04:44 AM..

Old 01-29-2021, 09:28 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
The Pacific here never gets much above 80 even in El Niño.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:59 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
While I don't check ocean temperatures everyday, I've never seen ocean temps in San Diego above 75 or so, and that was only for a few weeks in late August and early September.

San Diego is definitely not the place for warm ocean water.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:01 PM

353 posts, read 437,596 times
I think the coastal temps in SD reached an all-time record high of 79 a couple of years ago, but that's an anomaly. Pacific temps generally hover mid 50's to mid 60's (slightly higher in the south). Here's a gov reference I found (up to date) Look for "Pacific Coast Central" and "Pacific Coast South" in the chart to see coastal water temps. Only San Diego Bay hits 70 in the summer.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/dat...all_meanT.html

Last edited by Jane M; 01-29-2021 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-29-2021, 03:10 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
The only water that passes as warm in CA is off the coast of San Diego in August. Otherwise you need to head further south to Baja. If you can settle for a pool instead of an ocean, you could try a resort in Calistoga or a clothing-optional place like Harbin Hot Springs (north of Calistoga in Lake County).

Old 01-29-2021, 03:19 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,663,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
The only water that passes as warm in CA is off the coast of San Diego in August. Otherwise you need to head further south to Baja. If you can settle for a pool instead of an ocean, you could try a resort in Calistoga or a clothing-optional place like Harbin Hot Springs (north of Calistoga in Lake County).
In addition to the local hot springs, check out the swimming holes along the South Yuba River just north of Nevada City along Highway 49. The water is a perfect temp during the summer months.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:03 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:

I miss being able to go to Florida and enjoy the ocean. Where can I find this in California? Thanks!
Luckily, the water off California's coast is cool/cold. If it were warm/hot, like Florida's, we'd have storms with names, like Florida has. California doesn't need hurricane's/tornado's.

Wanna swim in warm ocean water? There's Hawai'i.

Neat thing is, you don't have to wait for Summer. You can swim in clear/clean/warm ocean water all 12 months long. I've been down >100' in Hawai'i. There's still light, as visibility is 250'+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California