Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,184 times

Advertisements

I'm from the East coast and never been to California. I was astonished when i saw online about how many asian gangs there are in California. Being from the east coast, i know there were some asian gangs but they weren't big names etc

But when i read about all the crime that is mainly happening in oakland and san francisco and new york, what are the asian gang members doing about it? I did saw they had that group called asians with attitude and i think many are current or former gang members? Also, are any of these attacks happening on Cambodians in long beach? I literally had no idea there was a huge long beach population and they have gangs there like Asian Boyz which apparently are the most dangerous of all gangs?

I got to assume very few of these attacks if any are against the Cambodian community since if the did, they probably would be dead within a few days? If that is the case, why aren't Cambodians helping out the other asians? We mean its all the same ethnicity. I don't think i ever met a cambodian even though im asian but i don't think i saw any that were cambodian. I mean, i do recall knowing a guy who was vietnamese and that was it.

But what active gangs are there in california now? Are there many Chinese gangs? I remembered back then there was Wah Ching but are they still active? I also got to assume the OG's of these asian gangs are giving some of their guys orders on what to do about this situation? I grew up in the east coast and don't know much about gangs but im surprised California has so many Asian gangs but nothing is being by them to target the criminals?

Also aren't some of the asian gangs going to come together because of this? I even heard of another cambodian gang called tiny rascal gang and how they are always at war with the Asian Boyz. I literally never heard of them until i saw some youtube clips on this. I think these groups are mainly cambodian and vietnamese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 05:12 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Well, ok!

Old 03-16-2021, 09:55 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
A few of the girls I was with who were Viet or Chinese and from the Westminster/LB area, or the SGV had family or friends in some of the gangs. One my first date with one girl, she said something to the effect of, "I'm from a typical Vietnamese family. My parents own a nail salon, my sister and I went to nursing school, my brother boosts cars."

From what I understand of it, the way that it works is that those gangs primarily work within their own communities: they sell drugs, steal, rob, extort, etc in their own territory, which is primarily Asian. As much as people may get sentimental over the "community service" aspects of gangs like the Wah Ching, much like how you have some of that with young Italian Americans and the Mafia, at the end of the day they're criminal enterprises. They aren't out there in the AM watching to make sure that no one messes with nainai and yeye, they're following you around after 10pm to see when you park your new Lexus so they can cut the catalytic converter from it.

I can't recall ever seeing black or Hispanic gangsters in the parts of OC/SGV where you'd see Asian gangsters at night, and if any did come, no doubt they'd throw down. But, incidentally, those areas are heavily Asian, that's the territory they staked out. The most friction I saw between Asian and non-Asian gangs was in Koreatown, where you have gang presence from Asian (mostly Korean but also Viet and Chinese, though allied with Korean gangs), black, and Hispanic gangs, all in one district, so territory could vary block to block. I lived in a three-by-six block area that was 100% Mexican territory, but if I crossed Beverly, it was Korean; an obvious way to tell was by the ethnicity of the working girls on the corner. Latinas on the south side of the street, Asians on the north. Black friends wouldn't come to visit me there. There were a few pockets of black gangs over on the other side of Vermont, closer to Rampart, and to the South, where it bumped up against Crenshaw and further down Vermont and Western, connecting to South LA. Recently, a few attacks against Asians have happened in Koreatown and DTLA, where you have all different groups together, but for the most part, the areas where the Asian gangs have a dominant presence are areas that are so heavily Asian, anyone who lives there who isn't Asian won't have an issue with them.

The attacks that happened up North in Oakland and SF are different. The area of Oakland's Chinatown where one of the attacks against the elderly happened is just south of a major thoroughfare and the opposite side of that boulevard isn't Asian at all. A few years ago, a Chinese national was shot to death in his car while being robbed a couple blocks away; in both cases, the attacker was black. Much of the area near there is black and pretty rough, and the district itself isn't that huge; you can walk through the main Chinatown drag and out the other side by mulit-ethnic/multi-class Lake Merritt in about ten minutes. Also, they aren't issues where you've got a non-Asian gang who's going there to start a fight with the community, it's one or two criminally insane jerks trying to exploit people on an individual basis, which makes it harder to fight.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:21 PM

307 posts, read 241,778 times
I lot of people from other states have a hard time picturing Asian gangs. I was born and raised in Fresno and you had Laotian Crips, Hmong Crips, Tiny Rascal Gang, Mongolian Boys, etc. Fresno Police even set up an Asian gang task force..

https://www.kqed.org/news/11788717/w...ction-to-gangs

Old 03-21-2021, 11:45 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Why are Asian gangs surprising or noteworthy? Am I missing something here?

Old 03-21-2021, 11:49 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
In some cites, the population is majority Asian, so it's no surprise that the criminal element is also Asian.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:57 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
on Ch 10 news today they were interviewing a young asian girl and she got asked. Have you or any of your friends been witness to a hate crime. She responded, why yes, I was at a party recently and someone asked here where she was from. She, totally flabbergasted, "I'm from San Diego!"

Old 03-21-2021, 12:56 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
All the people attacking Asians are cowards. Do you see any attackers pushing or hitting an Asian the same size or age as them? The poor lady in San Francisco did a number on a guy half her age and put him in the hospital.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:36 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
Whole lot of Asian gangs in the South Sac-Stockton-Modesto corridor. Many people don't know there is a racist hierarchy with in the Asian community. Where the East Asians are the "white" Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Korean), and the "dark" Asians are South East Asians(Hmong, Vietnamese, Laotian, Cambodian). With Filipinos and Thai kind of in the middle.

The "Dark" Asians tend to have the problems of most refugee communities, as they lost everything during the Vietnam War era and came with nothing. And in many cases many are still relatively impoverished. Lots of 1st/2nd generation types, and the communities can be very insular. They typically do not draw attention to themselves and ask for nothing. They tend to solve their problems with in the community.

The gangs used to be waring factions of bloods and crips, but as of late have mostly evolved into neighborhood crews. Fun fact: most of the actors cast to be gangsters in Grand Torino were actually from the Central Valley. And hence, why they were able to play the roles so well. Because Asian gangs are actually a thing here.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:45 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Because, if you are from Middle America, the South, or some legacy city on the East Coast this is not a thing. Like at all. There are cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, and Cleveland that have an insanely small Asian demographics in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California