Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 06:37 PM

13,666 posts, read 9,744,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
[i]Federal officials on Thursday (5/13) announced a sweeping relaxation of face mask guidelines, including allowing fully vaccinated people to safely stop wearing masks in most places — either outdoors or inside.

Los Angeles County officials, however, said the latest guidance will not be effective in California immediately. ...
Currently filling out my California state income tax forms, it is remarkable how often in the instructions there appears the pert phrase, "California does not conform [to federal law]". In other words, according to the vaunted authorities in California, the federal government go [expletive] itself; California will choose whatever it deems to be fitting.

The States' Rights advocates ought to be thrilled.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,486,565 times
We're not going to eradicate Covid. It will always pop back up and kill. Are we going to act this way with every new virus in the future - masks, closing schools and businesses?

Anyone that afraid of a virus or a vaccine should locked themselves up at home and stop expecting the rest of us to cater to those fears.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:26 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
I walked into a business today without my mask, not intentionally, but I still forget to put it on sometimes, when I get out of the car to go into a store or office. I noticed that no one in the office had one on either, including the owner. That was a first for me; to go into a business and not be chased out to get my mask from the car.

I even stayed outside the door, when I realized I'd forgotten my mask, so I could drop off the items I came to drop off, but they invited me in. That was when I noticed no one was masked. But everywhere else I've been in the last week still has the mask requirement. Which is fine with me, I don't have a problem with it. I'm surprised I'm still not in the habit of automatically putting it on, though.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:31 PM

14,357 posts, read 11,752,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I walked into a business today without my mask, not intentionally, but I still forget to put it on sometimes, when I get out of the car to go into a store or office. I noticed that no one in the office had one on either, including the owner. That was a first for me; to go into a business and not be chased out to get my mask from the car.

I even stayed outside the door, when I realized I'd forgotten my mask, so I could drop off the items I came to drop off, but they invited me in. That was when I noticed no one was masked. But everywhere else I've been in the last week still has the mask requirement. Which is fine with me, I don't have a problem with it. I'm surprised I'm still not in the habit of automatically putting it on, though.
A couple of weeks ago, I went to visit a friend in Yucaipa, spent several hours at her house, and before getting back on the freeway, stopped at a big Arco for gas. Since I always pay cash for gas, I walked into the store and right up to the counter before realizing that I didn't have a mask, and everyone else did. Some of them were looking at me funny, but no one actually said anything. Still, I felt guilty, and went back out to my car and got my mask. So guess after more than a year, I wasn't automatically putting it on, either. And now I hope I never will be.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:45 PM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
...I don't blame the local community/medical leaders from not committing to a full re-open, given this uncertainty. That said, since we're "approaching" herd immunity, even despite this, there's a chance that the spread will become virtually non-existent this summer. If that is the case, we may see the officials ease back completely, once they see the actual data from the case rate of community spread.
The operative phrase being "once they see the actual data."

Covid-19 Outbreak Among 8 Fully Vaccinated Members Of NY Yankee Organization: Implications For CDC Guidance On Masking:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuac...mpression=true

Old 05-13-2021, 08:51 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
Apparently June 15, but businesses can make their own rules so who knows. I'm pretty much done with them unless I go into a store that requires them. Mostly I hang out with family that lives close by, and eat outside with friends so masks are unnecessary. I'm not back to work yet and if my employer reopens I'll only return if I can be mask free because I know I'm not going to spend 6-8 hours a day wearing one.

I've also wandered into stores without a mask accidently , and the other day my friends showed up at a restaurant and walked into the patio area to get to our table and had totally forgot to put them on too, which everyone used to expect as you walk past other tables. Nobody said anything though.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:24 AM

Aside from the needed grocery stores, my husband and I are completely avoiding all businesses that still require a mask, including restaurants. If they're going to continue forcing the useless mask, we'll spend our money elsewhere or we'll stay home. They can go out of business for all we care.

My neighbor took her car in for an oil change. She said she had to sit in her car in a long line, waiting to enter the dealership's service bay. All cars were being disinfected by hand by a masked employee. Each car took 10 - 15 minutes to disinfect. An extra 40 minutes was added to her wait time.
Isn't an oil change still done from... outside of and beneath the car?

Old 05-14-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The operative phrase being "once they see the actual data."

Covid-19 Outbreak Among 8 Fully Vaccinated Members Of NY Yankee Organization: Implications For CDC Guidance On Masking:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuac...mpression=true
From what I understand, those being infected after the vaccination aren't getting sick. They aren't dying. They aren't in need of a hospital. They are merely testing positive. The vaccine works!

The people who should be afraid are those who refuse the vaccine, yet want us all to keep wearing the masks to protect them.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:34 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
From what I understand, those being infected after the vaccination aren't getting sick. They aren't dying. They aren't in need of a hospital. They are merely testing positive.
The point was--and is obvious from the article--that they're still able to infect others. And there are still a lot of unvaccinated people out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The people who should be afraid are those who refuse the vaccine, yet want us all to keep wearing the masks to protect them.
The issue isn't about anyone being "afraid."

Old 05-14-2021, 07:22 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,382,009 times
I just left 7-11. The guy in front of me was maskless, I was maskless then I another patron saw us both and removed his. This mask deal is on its last legs for sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California