Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 04:01 PM

32 posts, read 37,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Watsonville, per se, is not a fire risk.
Thanks ! Good possibility I will be in that area. My friend who lives there has not mentioned that to me as a huge issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Look at crime stats in the neighborhood, is the obvious next step if you like Watsonville and have friends there.
Thanks ! I just checked city data on crime stats, I use to be 40 min from Milwaukee, new the city and never had any issues. The crime there is off the charts compared to Watsonville as well as many other cities per capita.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~ since you have a health situation with cool/cold temps, it makes sense for you to move South. While the areas you mention are beautiful, they have a "wet/coolness" to them. (I like Santa Rosa's "Crescent." myself.)

Wouldn't a warm/hot-DRY environment benefit you better?
That is a fantastic question. With cold air urticaria if I am in a Mediterranean mild climate it works best. If I am in a hot place, and outside for a while then go into a store with cold AC.... I will get the reaction (Hives on my skin) triggered. I know Paso is hot, but it beats 12 below zero in Jan where I live. Now that is a guarantee bad situation. I can wear a warm hood and get away with it most times, but it would be nice to not have to play around with that stuff nearly as much or not at all.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:27 PM

4,345 posts, read 6,321,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianman2112 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to be so detailed I will take that advice about being in town for fire issues, and I do like the idea of being very close to san jose and santa cruz. I just got done talking via zoom with someone who lives in the watsonville area and said I would be just fine. I have noticed that the lows at night are comfortable in paso looking at averages
Yeah, I don't think "most" of Watsonville is at fire risk. I meant that any of these areas nearby hills/woods enhances the fire danger. I would've said previously that living near the coast would be safer, but that's been proven false over the past few years. Personally, I wouldn't live near the hills/woods, but that isn't specific to one of these three areas.

I honestly don't think Watsonville itself is a great community. Its more working class and agricultural focused, so there are issues that go with that. I grew up in a similar town to this and wouldn't move back, given the choice. That said, its very close to some very nice communities where I would consider living, but I'd say the same for any of the three options you have.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yeah, I don't think "most" of Watsonville is at fire risk. I meant that any of these areas nearby hills/woods enhances the fire danger. I would've said previously that living near the coast would be safer, but that's been proven false over the past few years. Personally, I wouldn't live near the hills/woods, but that isn't specific to one of these three areas.

I honestly don't think Watsonville itself is a great community. Its more working class and agricultural focused, so there are issues that go with that. I grew up in a similar town to this and wouldn't move back, given the choice. That said, its very close to some very nice communities where I would consider living, but I'd say the same for any of the three options you have.
Thats about it in a nutshell were I live now. My friend in the Santa Cruz area said "if you can pull it off in Watsonville, you can always move in the future when the opportunity arises" There is a town called Sheboygan WI, and it was like what you describe plus it had the bonus of major winter being right on Lake Michigan....howling winds and sub zero temps. If you ever are to warm just youtube Lake Michigan winter winds... swear it was Mars..lol

Old 05-17-2021, 08:48 AM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Thats about it in a nutshell were I live now. My friend in the Santa Cruz area said "if you can pull it off in Watsonville, you can always move in the future when the opportunity arises" There is a town called Sheboygan WI, and it was like what you describe plus it had the bonus of major winter being right on Lake Michigan....howling winds and sub zero temps. If you ever are to warm just youtube Lake Michigan winter winds... swear it was Mars..lol
Well, to give a slightly different view, there have been posters here, who say Watsonville's fine in the good or decent parts of town. IOW, choose your location carefully, and it can work out. Some transplants have moved there, because it's basically the lower-rent district of Santa Cruz County, where they can enjoy proximity to the beaches and to SC, but at a more affordable price. So, it all depends on your budget and priorities.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, to give a slightly different view, there have been posters here, who say Watsonville's fine in the good or decent parts of town. IOW, choose your location carefully, and it can work out. Some transplants have moved there, because it's basically the lower-rent district of Santa Cruz County, where they can enjoy proximity to the beaches and to SC, but at a more affordable price. So, it all depends on your budget and priorities.

Thanks Ruth, I have been watching youtube videos, city data stats etc etc. And will be mindful with our decisions. I mentioned in another post we use to live close to Milwaukee, and new the the area well. We were always able to stay safe and enjoy the city.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:26 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,511,362 times
Santa Rosa has high fire risk, plus PG&E has frequent rolling blackouts in the area because they're too cheap to update their electrical infrastructure. Something to keep in mind if you rely on an elevator or have medical equipment.

Watsonville and Paso Robles are both ag-oriented, but Paso is more tourism-oriented because of the wineries. You don't have that in Watsonville, which means fewer nice restaurants, interesting things going on, etc. Both serve as lower priced alternatives to nearby "major" cities (Santa Cruz and San Luis Obispo, respectively). Both are a bit quiet for my liking, but I'm not looking for a slower pace of life. But if I were, I would say that Paso Robles is the most appealing of the three options. And even now, if pressed, I would choose Paso first.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Santa Rosa has high fire risk, plus PG&E has frequent rolling blackouts in the area because they're too cheap to update their electrical infrastructure. Something to keep in mind if you rely on an elevator or have medical equipment.

Watsonville and Paso Robles are both ag-oriented, but Paso is more tourism-oriented because of the wineries. You don't have that in Watsonville, which means fewer nice restaurants, interesting things going on, etc. Both serve as lower priced alternatives to nearby "major" cities (Santa Cruz and San Luis Obispo, respectively). Both are a bit quiet for my liking, but I'm not looking for a slower pace of life. But if I were, I would say that Paso Robles is the most appealing of the three options. And even now, if pressed, I would choose Paso first.
Thanks Davdaven ! Interesting with the elec infrastructure. I lived in a town in WI that when ever lighting struck I swear the power went out. Drove us nuts. I am going to hit up google maps and head to these areas and search coffee shops, natural foods etc to get some sort of an idea as to your advice

Old 05-18-2021, 03:51 PM

10,416 posts, read 7,000,562 times
Quote:
That is a fantastic question. With cold air urticaria if I am in a Mediterranean mild climate it works best. If I am in a hot place, and outside for a while then go into a store with cold AC.... I will get the reaction (Hives on my skin) triggered. I know Paso is hot, but it beats 12 below zero in Jan where I live. Now that is a guarantee bad situation. I can wear a warm hood and get away with it most times, but it would be nice to not have to play around with that stuff nearly as much or not at all.
Thank you for this update. This helps us, help you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California