Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2023, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
There are more homeless people in city of LA than in the entire state of Texas

True, but I'm starting to see more homeless people in Texas. Even in the upscale suburbs of Houston I see people walking down the street that I highly suspect to be homeless. (i.e. trudging down the street at 6 AM with 6 pieces of luggage in a very residential suburban area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2023, 08:25 AM

619 posts, read 368,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTXProject View Post
True, but I'm starting to see more homeless people in Texas. Even in the upscale suburbs of Houston I see people walking down the street that I highly suspect to be homeless. (i.e. trudging down the street at 6 AM with 6 pieces of luggage in a very residential suburban area)

Houston reduced they're homelessness recently. They're down to like 3,000.

Austin has a lot though. Skyrocketed after progressives took over for awhile and instituted some California style housing ordinances

Old 07-29-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Well that's just wrong. These people have nothing. They receive nothing from the state. They have no resources which is the entire point of my previous story. Park Rangers are helping these people in as far as giving them water, checking on their well-being and generally just letting them know someone knows they're there. They should be getting a phone at the very least. They receive nothing as it is right now. And the thing is a lot of them aren't drug addicts and aren't mentally ill. They're just displaced and need a hand up. We can't even give them that because these a-hole bureaucrats keep arguing as to how to move 'em, get rid of 'em, basically make them disappear because it's uncomfortable having them around.
They need lower rents

That's not happening in California anytime soon unfortunately

Old 07-29-2023, 09:10 AM

19,358 posts, read 16,911,476 times
Quote:
They need lower rents

That's not happening in California anytime soon unfortunately
That would definitely help a small percentage of them since that's the primary reason they're homeless.

Even I have moments of complete and utter stupidity because I commented on having a cell phone and how it would be a little help. However, when the battery runs down, where are they going to plug it in to charge it? See how easy it is for those who "have" to forget what life is like for those who "have not?"

Old 07-29-2023, 09:14 AM

132,081 posts, read 12,374,277 times
Quote:
That would definitely help a small percentage of them since that's the primary reason they're homeless.

Even I have moments of complete and utter stupidity because I commented on having a cell phone and how it would be a little help. However, when the battery runs down, where are they going to plug it in to charge it? See how easy it is for those who "have" to forget what life is like for those who "have not?"
Some state parks have electrical outlets, as do shelters. Or the library.
But without an address it is hard to get food stamps etc. I read that our town is offering a free ride home to any homeless who want it. They will buy them a ticket home. One person I know who volunteers for the program, said many of them are afraid to go home, they are estranged from family.

I don't think cheap rent will help those with mental health or addiction issues.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Some state parks have electrical outlets, as do shelters. Or the library.
But without an address it is hard to get food stamps etc. I read that our town is offering a free ride home to any homeless who want it. They will buy them a ticket home. One person I know who volunteers for the program, said many of them are afraid to go home, they are estranged from family.

I don't think cheap rent will help those with mental health or addiction issues.
That's true, evening sun. I can't remember but I think I read or heard on the news about state parks and the homeless. Are they allowed to stay there indefinitely or are they mandated, like others, to move along after a month?

Also true, no family to go to either because there is no one or, like you say, they're estranged. Not an easy situation to be in when you're in this world alone and have no job, no home, no one to turn to.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Why would it only be a small percentage?

Old 07-29-2023, 10:13 AM

26,947 posts, read 27,163,314 times
Quote:
...However, when the battery runs down, where are they going to plug it in to charge it? See how easy it is for those who "have" to forget what life is like for those who "have not?"

Good point.

A landmark new report surveyed thousands of people in California about how they came to be without housing, and researchers conducted in-depth interviews with hundreds of them. For most, high rental costs were crucial.

"People just ran out of the ability to pay, whether it happened quickly or slowly," says lead investigator Margot Kushel of the University of California, San Francisco.

Some said they'd had their work hours cut. Others lost a job because of a health crisis. Many crowded in with relatives or friends, who were also likely to be poor and struggling. "And we found that those relationships, when they fell apart, fell apart quickly," Kushel says. "People only had one day's warning" to leave. Even those with their own lease had on average just 10 days to move out.

Their median monthly household income in the six months before they became homeless was $960, she says. The median rent for a one-bedroom apartment in California is $1,700.

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/12/11868...ng-encampments

Old 07-29-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Why would it only be a small percentage?
Because, like it or not, there are people who would not or cannot be responsible for taking care of themselves. Just as evening sun stated a few posts ago, cheap rent won't help those with mental health or addiction issues.

Old 07-29-2023, 10:35 AM

Very good report, CA4Now. It's a disaster that has reached a fevered pitch. I don't know what we can do to change it, either. Some areas in the state, like yours, are inundated with homeless, whereas my area isn't terribly overwhelmed which makes it a bit easier to get some off the street. We have a small organization that secured a patch of land and placed some small units on them. They aren't big but they're nice, clean and the outside area looks like any other small community. The people that live in the units are still employed and working on getting back on their feet. So far, it's working well. Although, they have to meet a certain criteria; one of them being that they are still employed without any addiction problems.

I don't know if your area has something like that but if you do, kudos for that because even getting one or a hundred into a place where they can feel normal is a step in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California