Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 10:41 PM

3,353 posts, read 2,346,134 times

Advertisements

I am not sure whats the protocol of releasing inmates in CA whether its county jail or state penitentiary or prison, especially if they have no home to go back to.

But I am thinking they are more likely head to places with a less harsh climate as much as possible and with more access to social services rather than stay in the Central Valley or the desert where their prisons once were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 11:28 PM

42,820 posts, read 26,536,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Depends where.

In LA about 1/3 were transplants from other states and in SF it was almost 50%. A lot of these people are runaways or troubled people from other states that are out on the streets within a few years of moving to those areas. You can find the links I posted from the NYTimes and LAtimes in the homeless containment thread.

I’d imagine in Eureka it’s probably almost 100% are locals.

PS in many areas almost 100% of the “homeless” are local citizens.
This is what I found:
"Contrary to popular myth, the majority of PEH in LA are not coming from other regions: 74 percent of unsheltered individuals lived in Southern California before becoming homeless, and 71 percent have been in LA County for more than ten years. (McKinsey Survey)"

Old 07-02-2023, 11:33 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,108,803 times
Quote:
Someone truly working for $7.25/hour is probably not working in metro Charlotte though. Even fast food people there make $10/hr+ and can probably get a job with tips that pays more. They can then rent a room or have a roommate.

That’s a job doing 0 skill labor in a rural area.
As the other posted I quoted stated, that is 45 min away from Charlotte. The closer you are to Charlotte the more the rent.

Old 07-03-2023, 03:24 AM

That poster isnt wrong if he mentions up to 1/3 or 1/4 is from other areas which means 2/3 or 3/4 is from California.

There are stories of those who were Amish or undocumented babies who really have difficulty living their lives without documents worse than an undocumented alien in some ways. Some had to get on a Greyhound to a warmer state otherwise they will literally die in the cold.

But its more important to find the cause, ie being banished from or disowned by family members or friends, or simply won't help, by a spouse(separated, divorced and ordered to stay away), expelled from a job that once offered them housing or from a cult group or Amish group that had their everything, were Orphaned and aged out of foster care, were imprisoned and released but left to fend for themselves with a criminal record and losing everything they once owned more than a decade ago and not having any relative willing to take them in following release, eviction from where they stayed, etc? How many were caused by government or bad legislation, policies, or lack of protection from the law for civil matters? Bankruptcy may be due to a massive medical issue, accident, or mental health crisis? Even if housing is cheapest it won't solve the problem and we would still have plenty of homeless. Another major cause is the individualistic culture of the US? Drug users are often mandatory to be evicted from many types of housing as well.

I do notice that while having a home or shelter is a luxury yet sleeping outside is criminalized, a discrepency kind of like one is required to go in a toilet or otherwise its a crime just to accommadate for basic bodily functions, yet you don't have a right to access one. What a discrepency.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:22 AM

26,905 posts, read 27,102,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
One explaination I have is that California used to be very aggressive in putting people in long prison sentences for relatively minor offences as part of their get tough movements to combat the crime wave in the 1970s and 1980s. Though they eventually realized its really not sustainable to overcrowd their prisons despite building 19 new ones and turn them into revolving doors. COVID had shown the state the serious repercussions of overcrowded prisons where the aisleways and gyms were filled with inmates. Then those people get released in masses but have no where to go nor home to go back to except onto streets unless housed in temporary housing. Also these days especially with background checks so rigid and transparent and no way to put the past behind them and a very competitive job and housing market. No one wants to associate with an ex convict. They turn to black market and illegal ways ie selling drugs to make a living and get themselves addicted to alcohol or drugs to reduce the feeling of suffering and hopelessness. They are forced to live a never ending life of crime, but the state now thinks twice before putting them back into the revolving door again which costed the state a lot of money. They used to get three meals and a cot but released they have no home to go back to and have to fend for themselves. This also has been an issue in surrounding states as well. And due a much harsher climate and a less caring government who leave them out to die without offering shelter they also Greyhound their way to CA as well.

A lot of issues are caused by years of insensitive laws and policymaking that were kneejerk reactions that have had devastating consequences over the years. I know I might as well type to a blank wall as most city data posters defending certain leaning agendas don't care about the truth anyways.
You're absolutely right about this.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:31 AM

26,905 posts, read 27,102,603 times
Quote:
https://sfstandard.com/public-health...20more%20years.

Here’s a self reported survey of homeless from UC Santa Cruz about the San Francisco homeless:

29% of people in SF that are homeless weren’t in the city when they became homeless. The majority were from other parts of the state. If you read the breakdowns of how long the homeless lived in the city prior to becoming homeless you’ll find the majority were there less than 10 years—not long term locals.
Then post it on the San Francisco homeless thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-...d-trashed.html

As Mars pointed out, this is the California forum.

Quote:
29% of people in SF that are homeless weren’t in the city when they became homeless. The majority were from other parts of the state. If you read the breakdowns of how long the homeless lived in the city prior to becoming homeless you’ll find the majority were there less than 10 years—not long term locals.
Another topic change? No one on this thread was discussiong the homeless moving within the state of California. The title of this thread is "Study: 9 in 10 homeless Californians are native to the state."

Old 07-03-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I am not sure whats the protocol of releasing inmates in CA whether its county jail or state penitentiary or prison, especially if they have no home to go back to.

But I am thinking they are more likely head to places with a less harsh climate as much as possible and with more access to social services rather than stay in the Central Valley or the desert where their prisons once were.
People serving a sentence in a California jail are released at the front door of the jail. Prison inmates are assigned to a parole agent or PRCS in the community. Parole officers try to find transitional housing for inmates who are homeless, but they are not mandated to find them a place to live. Like other homeless people, they are likely to go to a place where they have friends or family.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In the hour long show that CNN did fairly recently on San Francisco, almost all of the homeless people they interviewed were from the Central Valley (San Joaquin Valley).
That doesn't make much sense, I think CNN got some bad information. Homeless people are not irrational, they don't have some grandiose idea that if they leave Modesto and walk? to San Francisco their life will be better. Some rural towns have very aggressive police who will run off homeless people, but that's the only motivation I can think of for leaving the central valley.

Old 07-03-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
People serving a sentence in a California jail are released at the front door of the jail. Prison inmates are assigned to a parole agent or PRCS in the community. Parole officers try to find transitional housing for inmates who are homeless, but they are not mandated to find them a place to live. Like other homeless people, they are likely to go to a place where they have friends or family.
I assume they don’t have any friends or family that allows them to bunk indefinitely thus they end up on the streets. Their folks may be dead, or their family had been broken in the first place and don’t give a rats arise, or still incarcerated themselves. If they owned a home decades ago it would had been foreclosed long ago. With no way to find a job(prison on resume, horrible ever
More transparent background checks) or afford rent(and landlords are reluctant to accept them as well) they are stuck and would need to search for social services which are very hard to find in smaller towns despite cheaper land, and the burden is on taxpayers these days but governments are reluctant to change bad policies until they really suffers.

This also explains why so many homeless in DTLA as not only there are social help concentrated there the main jail is there. I know people from broken families who disowned them after they went to jail and they were left to fend for themselves following release from LA main jail.

Old 07-03-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I assume they don’t have any friends or family that allows them to bunk indefinitely thus they end up on the streets. Their folks may be dead, or their family had been broken in the first place and don’t give a rats arise, or still incarcerated themselves. If they owned a home decades ago it would had been foreclosed long ago. With no way to find a job(prison on resume, horrible ever
More transparent background checks) or afford rent(and landlords are reluctant to accept them as well) they are stuck and would need to search for social services which are very hard to find in smaller towns despite cheaper land, and the burden is on taxpayers these days but governments are reluctant to change bad policies until they really suffers.

This also explains why so many homeless in DTLA as not only there are social help concentrated there the main jail is there. I know people from broken families who disowned them after they went to jail and they were left to fend for themselves following release from LA main jail.
Some have family or friends they can connect with, but not all of them, and the longer the term they served the more likely it is that their spouse divorced them or moved away, their parents may be dead or unable to take them in, so yes they definitely contribute to the homeless. The same thing happens in California jails, all inmates are released from the main jail downtown but they might have lived in and been arrested in Folsom, ElkGrove, Rio Linda, or Citrus Heights. The ones without money or connections in the immediate area of the jail will probably remain downtown for a while because the county doesn't even give them money to get back to where they lived before they were arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California