Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:30 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,464 times

Advertisements

I wish they would put that into action where I work Sheri ...lol.....but they don't ...they are still afraid they'll get sued. I've seen many people who should have been fired where I work ...but they keep getting away with the same crap. NEVER have I seen anyone miss out on a break either. The company I work for has a "branch" in California that got sued for not paying overtime to it's workers.....haven't had that problem here in Texas. Go figure.

Wages are only lower in SOME fields. Compare it to the cost of living and it really doesn't matter anyway. In many instances your still going to come out ahead in Texas. My husband and I both make more here and our living costs are about 1/3 of what we'd be spending in Cali. That's MY experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
I just wanted to know what peoples' experiences have been having lived in these two states.
Well ... I'm a hard core California person so ... Texas didn't work for me at all. Not just the work culture but ... the culture overall. Obviously, other people love it and, obviously, many Cali expats have moved there to save money ... mostly on housing.

But it's not just Texas but the same question applies to any cheap state. You basically get what you pay for. People's personal experiences will vary but, the fact is ... cheap states are typically right to work states where the employment laws generally don't benefit workers as they do in California.

California is more expensive for obvious reasons and, it always will be. For me it's worth the price but ... for others it's not.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:17 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Wages are only lower in SOME fields.
Shannon: the data is pretty clear ... the wages are lower. Of course there's also the cost of living argument and how far California's higher wages go but ...

There's no question that Texas wages are lower. Sure, maybe there's bigger bang for the buck but, as always ... it depends on what you want.

I'm glad you don't have problems with your employer but, generally, if you want meal breaks and other basic employee rights ... Texas is not a good bet overall, IMO.

If a really cheap house is your priority then, obviously Texas is the place to be.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:11 PM

303 posts, read 845,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Shannon: the data is pretty clear ... the wages are lower. Of course there's also the cost of living argument and how far California's higher wages go but ...

There's no question that Texas wages are lower. Sure, maybe there's bigger bang for the buck but, as always ... it depends on what you want.

I'm glad you don't have problems with your employer but, generally, if you want meal breaks and other basic employee rights ... Texas is not a good bet overall, IMO.

If a really cheap house is your priority then, obviously Texas is the place to be.

Agreed. This ex-Californian (an ex-Californian not by choice) sees moving back home to California as far more worth it than staying in the "everything's bigger" culture of Texas. Sure it may be more expensive back home, but I will be miles happier there than I ever was in Texas.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Texas is a right to work state so, employers get away with a lot more there. Yeah ... housing and gas is cheaper, but the wages are also lower. This is one of the many reasons I left Texas.
Do you know what a Right to Work State means? It is all about not having to put up with union BS.

A Right to Work law secures the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union. However, employees who work in the railway or airline industries are not protected by a Right to Work law, and employees who work on a federal enclave may not be.

I guess since I detest unions I am gald to be in a Right to Work State

You might want to investigate for yourself.

Right to Work States | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation

I have not worked for these low wages for so long that I guess I did not realize people were raising families on these lower wage jobs. That being said I would rather be living in TX making a lower wage job where housing and rent is 1/3 of CA, not to mention state income tax and gas prices. But to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: