Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 09:22 PM

1,069 posts, read 787,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
We'll still have to gather the scraps of kitchen waste somewhere, which could very well smell bad. The city of Los Angeles suggests a couple of odor-reducing techniques (besides emptying pails more frequently): layering food waste with yard trimmings or freezing food scraps in a reusable container prior to collection day.
Ahahahaha... sure, let's freeze our garbage before throwing it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 10:25 PM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Ahahahaha... sure, let's freeze our garbage before throwing it out
Who has spare freezer space for this? Certainly not those living in apartments.

Old 12-31-2021, 01:58 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,451,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Who has spare freezer space for this? Certainly not those living in apartments.

Everyone can just buy deep freezers to store their trash and fill them up as they go. Problem solved. You're welcome, environment!

Old 01-01-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Everyone can just buy deep freezers to store their trash and fill them up as they go. Problem solved. You're welcome, environment!
A community freezer for every apartment complex paid for by the tax payers Cause ya know, all our energy for freezers comes from renewable energy not coal.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 01-01-2022 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-01-2022, 10:35 AM

130,213 posts, read 12,093,129 times
My freezer is always full, to cut down on shopping trips. I have no room for garbage to be frozen. Our green bin is already full, it only gets picked up every two weeks. I doubt they are going to give us new, bigger ones.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:22 PM

1,069 posts, read 787,201 times
I also find the recommendation to freeze food scraps strange from an energy perspective. It uses energy to freeze garbage, in addition to the increased frequency of opening the freezer every time one has a food strap. Individually, it's probably negligible. But if millions of people start do it it will increase energy consumption.

However, I don't expect many people will bother with this strange suggestion. Most will buy small composable food waste bags and a separate bin. These bags are made from food (corn) and have to be manufactured, packaged, and shipped to the consumer. Is the energy expenditure and resulting CO2 emissions worth it? I honestly don't know. But can't help wonder if it would just be cheaper and more environmentally friendly to improve capture of landfill gas.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I also find the recommendation to freeze food scraps strange from an energy perspective. It uses energy to freeze garbage, in addition to the increased frequency of opening the freezer every time one has a food strap. Individually, it's probably negligible. But if millions of people start do it it will increase energy consumption.

However, I don't expect many people will bother with this strange suggestion. Most will buy small composable food waste bags and a separate bin. These bags are made from food (corn) and have to be manufactured, packaged, and shipped to the consumer. Is the energy expenditure and resulting CO2 emissions worth it? I honestly don't know. But can't help wonder if it would just be cheaper and more environmentally friendly to improve capture of landfill gas.
It appears we won't have a choice. SFH will be issued one more bin and demand we use it. I'll use it as a water barrel. Gotta love the heavy handed politics in CA.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:44 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,742,177 times
Quote:

This is the funniest thing about all of these conservation efforts. You save energy in one place but use more in another. There is no good solution except fewer people

Old 01-01-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
This is the funniest thing about all of these conservation efforts. You save energy in one place but use more in another. There is no good solution except fewer people
Welp, housing prices keep going up it might fix itself here.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:54 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,742,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Welp, housing prices keep going up it might fix itself here.
I wish but I doubt it. Then we’ll still have people elsewhere in the world. Nothing short of a Thanos style solution will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California