Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 11:19 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times

Advertisements

We're planning a birthday trip for my wife at the end of April and want to go to Santa Barbara. We were looking at the Hotel Milo since it's right on the beach and pet friendly. It's about 5 1/2 hours from our place in Henderson, NV. We also plan to drive up the coast a bit and maybe make a side trip to Solvang. We were in SB and Solvang on our honeymoon (31 years ago!) and thought it might be fun to check it out again.

My main question involves the safety of staying at the beach and in that area in general. I am a photographer and would like to do some shooting at the beach and also at the marina, pier, etc. I normally walk around, sometimes alone, and while I can take care of myself I don't want to take any risks with expensive camera gear.

I only ask because the articles I've read seem to indicate that the area around that hotel isn't exactly the best part of town anymore. That may or may not be true, and I'd rather hear from someone that lives there or has been there recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 11:44 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
We're planning a birthday trip for my wife at the end of April and want to go to Santa Barbara. We were looking at the Hotel Milo since it's right on the beach and pet friendly. It's about 5 1/2 hours from our place in Henderson, NV. We also plan to drive up the coast a bit and maybe make a side trip to Solvang. We were in SB and Solvang on our honeymoon (31 years ago!) and thought it might be fun to check it out again.

My main question involves the safety of staying at the beach and in that area in general. I am a photographer and would like to do some shooting at the beach and also at the marina, pier, etc. I normally walk around, sometimes alone, and while I can take care of myself I don't want to take any risks with expensive camera gear.

I only ask because the articles I've read seem to indicate that the area around that hotel isn't exactly the best part of town anymore. That may or may not be true, and I'd rather hear from someone that lives there or has been there recently.
In general, Santa Barbara is a very safe city. That could be my "big city" bias but honestly I wouldn't sweat it. I would be curious to see/read the articles calling it an unsafe area.

The area in question (near the Hotel Milo) is referred to as West Beach and is a very safe area. Lots of pedestrians in the area so you won't feel alone. Also, that hotel is just blocks from the Funk Zone which has blossomed in the last 10 plus years to become the go to area for locals and tourists with art galleries, restaurants, bars, etc. The Hotel Californian is one of the newest and priciest hotels in Santa Barbara and is located there.

Old 01-13-2022, 12:55 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,704 times
I have never felt unsafe in SB, especially near the beach.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:05 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,463,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I have never felt unsafe in SB, especially near the beach.

Fairly safe but homeless presence has grown in downtown SB since the pandemic.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:49 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
If you're going to travel North, then Vandenburg is kinda unique, for photography.

Farther North, you have Pismo Beach.

A little more North, and you're at Morro Rock/Bay.

Next would be Cambria (I'd rather stay here than SB.)

Finally, a photog's dream...Hearst's Castle.

Granted, this is kind of ambitious, if you want to stick around Santa B, then check out the Mission there. Good photo ops there.

Since you'll be in the general area, you might want to visit the Reagan Library, for add'l photo ops. (The Air Force One Tour is pretty cool.)

Old 01-14-2022, 11:39 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
FYI, Hearst Castle is closed with no timetable for opening. They are repairing the road up to the castle.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:27 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
The only place to avoid on the beachside is E. Yananoli street East of Garden as a group of day laborers and, I think, some homeless hang out there near a portapotty. The rest of the area is very safe, photogenic, and very tourist-friendly. There's no reason you'd go back there anyway, as it's just an ugly collection of warehouses next to the freeway.

I think you've picked the best place in an already-beautiful town to stay. You will have no issues walking around the beach or your hotel, day or night.

Thievery is the most rampant crime, so don't leave your fancy camera gear sitting on the bus bench (or even at your restaurant table) or something dumb like that. It's a city, so lock your car doors after parking it and don't attract trouble by leaving a purse or laptop sitting out in plain view.

If you see a zombie (Drug-addled stumbling/jibbering vagrant) just avoid. There are less of them in April as its still pretty cold, so you probably won't unless you go looking for them.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:39 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
FYI, Hearst Castle is closed with no timetable for opening. They are repairing the road up to the castle.
"CALTRANS?" Oh no. This could take forever...

Old 01-16-2022, 10:55 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
"CALTRANS?" Oh no. This could take forever...
The contract was awarded to John Madonna Construction.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:59 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
Resurrecting a months old thread to see if the wine country near Santa Barbara is a better place to stay than the city/beach area. We’ll be vacationing for 3/4 days in mid-May and our favorite wine is sparkling. Don’t know if it’s best to hit up the wine tasting rooms downtown and stay there or stay up in the wine country and visit some wineries.

The hotel prices are less expensive in the wine country but if the beach and downtown area is better for what we want then we’ll look there. We’ve been to Santa Barbara before, about 5 years ago but just drove around a bit—didn’t stay as we were heading up to Carmel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California