Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 06:49 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,236,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I have medicare and get top notch health care, by the time this gets in i'll be really old and need good health care, not **** poor goverment dictated care. Newsom is going to kill me.
First, he'll bankrupt you if you stay in CA, THEN you'll die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 08:09 AM

1,108 posts, read 529,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Much as I would prefer ½ or more of the state businesses and population would move … um, in one recent year alone (2016), over 92,000 new businesses started up or moved to California … so I’m guessing those few thousand you predict leaving won’t be missed …. Dang it
only the successful ones that pay the most taxes and fees will leave while the start-ups figure out how they are getting screwed and finally decide to leave.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:43 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac View Post
The CA Appropriations Committee passed AB1400.
It's the new status symbol for a state to have its own universal healthcare, dontcha know?

Old 01-22-2022, 08:56 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
It’s amazing how politicians (especially dems) don’t bother with the future they just look at what will get them votes today.
As if the Repubs have the future welfare of the country in mind, when they rob the federal budget blind to fund tax breaks for people who don't need them. Time after time.

We're entering a time when natural disasters leaving entire communities homeless will become the new normal. This will create tremendous economic uncertainty (read: instability). The Forest Service and National Park services need funding for forest fire prevention, i.e. tree thinning, removal of trees already dead due to climate change, not to mention for public services that have been cut. The nation needs to rebuild and improve its infrastructure, especially the electrical infrastructure, to prevent fires, and that's a nation-wide issue, not just in California.

Coastal highways will need to be moved inland. This already is an issue in the Carolinas and Humboldt County, where storm surges, to say nothing of hurricanes on the East Coast, routinely floods some roads. The CDC needs to be re-funded as we enter an era of tropical and other diseases threatening the economy and worker productivity.

Cutting back on federal budgets (except for that one sacred cow--the military) has hobbled, and continues to hobble, the government's ability to prepare for and mitigate these many threats to a stable life and anything vaguely resembling a stable economy.

It's quite clear which party is planning for the future (or trying to), and which one is blowing off these very serious concerns, pursuing a path that undermines the country's future.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:31 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
only the successful ones that pay the most taxes and fees will leave while the start-ups figure out how they are getting screwed and finally decide to leave.
Anything to back your guesswork up? Because that’s what I’m calling it: *guesswork*.

Understand a few things:
* more venture capital investing in California businesses than in ALL other 49 states COMBINED.
*WORLD’s 5th most powerful economy
* state revenues are delivering budget surpluses at this time.
* California is, @ 40 million consumers, the nation’s single most valuable consumer / retail marketplace BY FAR … and wealthiest to boot.

If existing businesses can’t figure out how to best profitably adjust their expenses and revenues within this state and its market, then, sure, they absolutely should move to more favorable conditions for their circumstances. No question. Why wouldn’t they? Businesses have ALWAYS had to adjust strategically EVERYWHERE around the world.

But if you or anybody thinks the number one marketplace in the world’s number one economy, which happens to have several of the nation’s best ports to Asia (world’s leading and most aggressive manufacturing region) is gonna collapse any time soon … well: lolololololololololololololol …

Old 01-22-2022, 09:51 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
As if the Repubs have the future welfare of the country in mind, when they rob the federal budget blind to fund tax breaks for people who don't need them. Time after time.

We're entering a time when natural disasters leaving entire communities homeless will become the new normal. This will create tremendous economic uncertainty (read: instability). The Forest Service and National Park services need funding for forest fire prevention, i.e. tree thinning, removal of trees already dead due to climate change, not to mention for public services that have been cut. The nation needs to rebuild and improve its infrastructure, especially the electrical infrastructure, to prevent fires, and that's a nation-wide issue, not just in California.

Coastal highways will need to be moved inland. This already is an issue in the Carolinas and Humboldt County, where storm surges, to say nothing of hurricanes on the East Coast, routinely floods some roads. The CDC needs to be re-funded as we enter an era of tropical and other diseases threatening the economy and worker productivity.

Cutting back on federal budgets (except for that one sacred cow--the military) has hobbled, and continues to hobble, the government's ability to prepare for and mitigate these many threats to a stable life and anything vaguely resembling a stable economy.

It's quite clear which party is planning for the future (or trying to), and which one is blowing off these very serious concerns, pursuing a path that undermines the country's future.
Who are the repubs funding tax breaks for? A billions with a B infrastructure bill was just passed so time will tell if anything gets improved from it. I have my doubts

Old 01-22-2022, 01:14 PM

1,108 posts, read 529,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Anything to back your guesswork up? Because that’s what I’m calling it: *guesswork*.

Understand a few things:
* more venture capital investing in California businesses than in ALL other 49 states COMBINED.
*WORLD’s 5th most powerful economy
* state revenues are delivering budget surpluses at this time.
* California is, @ 40 million consumers, the nation’s single most valuable consumer / retail marketplace BY FAR … and wealthiest to boot.

If existing businesses can’t figure out how to best profitably adjust their expenses and revenues within this state and its market, then, sure, they absolutely should move to more favorable conditions for their circumstances. No question. Why wouldn’t they? Businesses have ALWAYS had to adjust strategically EVERYWHERE around the world.

But if you or anybody thinks the number one marketplace in the world’s number one economy, which happens to have several of the nation’s best ports to Asia (world’s leading and most aggressive manufacturing region) is gonna collapse any time soon … well: lolololololololololololololol …
i dont think for a minute that calif is going to collapse - i think more and more high earners that pay alot in state taxes are leaving and eventually there will be another budget crisis like years past. yes there is a surplus but for those of us who lived through the tough years where budget gimmicks and deficits piled up like the trash in the railroad tracks in LA will return again.

i love the state and was born there raised my kids there had my company there buts its no longer the sought after place you make it out to be - you might think so living on a boat and not paying tens of thousands of taxes each year but a hell of alot of have left and are leaving - your think DTLA OR SF OR SD is a great place to live and work? its not the paradise you want to spout off about 1000's like me know it too. try sending your kids to LAUSD see what kind of education they will get! try letting them ride there bikes after dark in Norwalk or Santa Ana or Downey or South Gate where i grew up in- you just wont accept the fact that the state is going down hill - unless you like stepping if human waste while walking in SF or having your kids pick up a needle in a park in Covina - you got give a crap about what your kids or grandkids will be exposed too- but i sure as hell do

Old 01-24-2022, 08:38 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
i dont think for a minute that calif is going to collapse - i think more and more high earners that pay alot in state taxes are leaving and eventually there will be another budget crisis like years past. yes there is a surplus but for those of us who lived through the tough years where budget gimmicks and deficits piled up like the trash in the railroad tracks in LA will return again.

i love the state and was born there raised my kids there had my company there buts its no longer the sought after place you make it out to be - you might think so living on a boat and not paying tens of thousands of taxes each year but a hell of alot of have left and are leaving - your think DTLA OR SF OR SD is a great place to live and work? its not the paradise you want to spout off about 1000's like me know it too. try sending your kids to LAUSD see what kind of education they will get! try letting them ride there bikes after dark in Norwalk or Santa Ana or Downey or South Gate where i grew up in- you just wont accept the fact that the state is going down hill - unless you like stepping if human waste while walking in SF or having your kids pick up a needle in a park in Covina - you got give a crap about what your kids or grandkids will be exposed too- but i sure as hell do
High earners will come and go as they always have. But most of the folks (by FAR) who are leaving these days are low and lower-middle income … who are steadily being replaced by higher earning, higher educated people … you can look that up.

Another budget crisis in the future? Oh noes! Tell me it won’t be so! Sky is falling!
What happened each of the former budget crises? … Oh yeah, we muddled through on our way to current surpluses and 5th world economy status. Phbbbbbttt.

I’m not “making [California] out to be” anything other than what it is.

And, you have no idea what taxes I pay or have paid in the past … but I’ll give you a couple things to chew on:

*You made your own decisions on what you wanted to do with career and real estate - while I made mine.

*You could have joined the military for a career as I did (that brought me to the state in mid-60s)

*You could have opted to live cheaply and minimalistically on a boat (like I did) and invest your mortgage money instead. (Which in my case made me quite wealthy by most Americans’ standards)

You opted for entrepreneurship, self-employment.
You opted to run a business in this state.
The state owed / owes you nothing. You say you’ve retired well … so what’s your beef? You sound like a guy who won the Lottery complaining you didn’t buy and win the Mega-millions.

As for me - and my kids and grandkids - stepping in poop? Well, I watch where I walk and have taught the kids to do the same. There’s exponentially more poop-free sidewalk than messy stretches. It's kinda like real life has always been: ya survey the fields and picks your best paths.

Good luck to ya. Seriously.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:43 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:

I spend a fair amount of time in San Francisco because I have family there. It's definitely not as bad as what you are trying to make it out to be. Most parts of SF are quite livable with no homeless or feces in sight. And I'm not sure what "no longer the sought after place..." means because my husband managed a company in SOMA for about a decade in the 90's. He used to pay homeless people to clean the sidewalk and street in front of the business; pick up the feces, discarded needles and liquor bottles. This has been going on decades, for you to try to make it look like a 'new problem' is either disingenuous or you didn't really spend much time in San Francisco. It got really bad when big money started buying the SRO hotels which had for a very long time provided affordable housing to the elderly, alcoholics, and disabled people. Throwing them on the street initiated what turned out to look like a game of dominos with low rent properties disappearing one after another.

What bothers me about these screeds is that you offer no solutions. It would appear to most people reading this is that you derive some satisfaction in repeating the same hand wringing, pearl clutching drama over and over again.

PS the last budget crisis California had was when Arnold Schwarzenegger was governor, which is probably why we no longer elect Republicans

Old 01-24-2022, 11:21 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Column: No debate on skyrocketing cost of California single-payer bill? So much for good government

A good-government hope was that this effort would result in a thoughtful, substantive legislative debate worthy of the monumental issue of universal healthcare.

That hope was dashed Thursday in a legislative fiscal committee, which failed to carry out what should be its primary duty: to dig into the innards of a spending bill and examine whether it makes financial sense.

The contentious bill, AB 1400, sailed through the Assembly Appropriations Committee on a party-line 11-3 vote without any discussion at all. Shameful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California