Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you Prefer: Placerville or Yountville?
Placerville 5 62.50%
Yountville 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 09:40 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyd View Post
Healdsburg is an interesting town in Sonoma county along the highway 101. An interesting place. Lots of very expensive houses, but a long time ago they made the decision to allow unusual housing that would accommodate regular income working people. Things like in-law units that get rented out. Creative alternative housing, along with rooms to rent in larger houses, etc. Also gets touristy, but a much more relaxed and calm than the other side of the hill/mountain in Napa Co.
On my list! Good suggestion!

We've know people from there...going way back...but have not been there in over 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 09:54 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
Placerville is trump country. It would be difficult to get out during a wildfire. Similar to the Paradise situation. It’s a beautiful area.,

Old 02-08-2022, 10:36 AM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Placer-Ville or Yount-Ville?
Why the need to hyphenate? Aside from being wrong....

And no, you can't "take it back to the 1970's." (Altho, COVID would have been a good try, if it weren't for those pesky vaccines that saved all those millions...)

Old 02-08-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If that's what you're looking for, and prefer Napa to Placerville, look at Calistoga. It's not quite so hick-ish these days, lots of high-end homes, but there are still some old funky farmhouses, if you don't mind doing a bit of updating. And there are in-between types of places, that have been updated, like this one:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M19746-46068

And it's still farm country.
Thanks for the link. But that whole valley is too expensive for me. I'll just continue with our day trips to the area. It's so close to Sacramento we go a lot, but actually not since that last big fire.....time for a visit soon before it gets too warm,

Maybe we will break the bank and do The French Laundry, never been, but got close dining at Bouchon a while back.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:27 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
I'm waiting for Oro-Ville or Marys-Ville or Vaca-Ville. You know, all the high class hotspots in NorCal.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I'm waiting for Oro-Ville or Marys-Ville or Vaca-Ville. You know, all the high class hotspots in NorCal.
Cute...I don't know much about either except Vacaville has some nice areas.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:47 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Cute...I don't know much about either except Vacaville has some nice areas.
If you haven't explored Oroville and Marysville you haven't lived.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:22 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
If you haven't explored Oroville and Marysville you haven't lived.

I like Oroville, it has some beautiful lake features & pretty hills.

However, for OP, if you are trying to explore Norcal before you leave CA, I recommend a trip to Lassen Park, it is beautiful, & has some geothermal features. I think I read that the mudpot there, boils hotter than the ones in Yellowstone. Best to start off at the visitor center & see the video before you drive through the park, or do it one the way out. Snow normally closes it for winter, but sometimes in Spring & early summer, you will still have snow on the sides of the road. A few miles outside the park, you can walk through a lava cave ( free) I think it's called Subway Cave. I love it there.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I like Oroville, it has some beautiful lake features & pretty hills.

However, for OP, if you are trying to explore Norcal before you leave CA, I recommend a trip to Lassen Park, it is beautiful, & has some geothermal features. I think I read that the mudpot there, boils hotter than the ones in Yellowstone. Best to start off at the visitor center & see the video before you drive through the park, or do it one the way out. Snow normally closes it for winter, but sometimes in Spring & early summer, you will still have snow on the sides of the road. A few miles outside the park, you can walk through a lava cave ( free) I think it's called Subway Cave. I love it there.
Oroville is definitely on my list! thanks for the post.

I really do want to take the time to discover that whole Oroville area- Feather River, etc. But I'm focused on Highway 49 first, all the places really close to Sacramento: Auburn, Placerville, Sutter Creek, Jackson....doing little day trips, 1/2 day trips.

Then expanding out going south of Jackson on Highway 49, so far we've done Angeles Camp and Sonora and all those "deserted" highways up the Sierra's between Tahoe and Yosemite (avoiding Tahoe and Yosemite for now). As we go further south, we do overnight trips, last trip was Sonora and up 108.

Keeping it local tomorrow doing a day snow shoe trip up Highway 88 to the closest snowpark, 20 miles below Kirkwood.

Sidenote: I have Bay Area relatives who moved to Oroville....decades ago....everyone thought why the hell did they move way up there.....one of the reasons is they always would take camping trips up Highway 70 beyond Chester and to Lake Almanor I have found memories of those camping trips. (I rarely seem them, been to their place in Oroville like only 3 times)

Old 02-09-2022, 10:55 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Oroville is definitely on my list! thanks for the post.

I really do want to take the time to discover that whole Oroville area- Feather River, etc. But I'm focused on Highway 49 first, all the places really close to Sacramento: Auburn, Placerville, Sutter Creek, Jackson....doing little day trips, 1/2 day trips.

Then expanding out going south of Jackson on Highway 49, so far we've done Angeles Camp and Sonora and all those "deserted" highways up the Sierra's between Tahoe and Yosemite (avoiding Tahoe and Yosemite for now). As we go further south, we do overnight trips, last trip was Sonora and up 108.

Keeping it local tomorrow doing a day snow shoe trip up Highway 88 to the closest snowpark, 20 miles below Kirkwood.

Sidenote: I have Bay Area relatives who moved to Oroville....decades ago....everyone thought why the hell did they move way up there.....one of the reasons is they always would take camping trips up Highway 70 beyond Chester and to Lake Almanor I have found memories of those camping trips. (I rarely seem them, been to their place in Oroville like only 3 times)
If this is a thread about exploring NorCal (I thought it was about relocating, or buying a 2nd home), the Smith River area up in Del Norte and thereabouts should be at the top of your list. Google for some photos. That's all you'll need to convince you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California