Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 08:23 PM

16 posts, read 21,552 times

Advertisements

Me:
Looking for a rental $2500 per month budget, 2 bed/2 ba house/backyard with a dog.

Seeking moderately liberal, safe and friendly walkable community that likes dogs. Has mountain biking nearby. Seeking town less than 100k people that has a good scene, foothills desired.

No kids, late 40’s, music scene would be great (not hard core country)- Folk/rock/bluegrass.

So, does Chico, GV or NC make sense? If not, any recommendations?

Many thanks!

Last edited by Suttersmill; 05-08-2022 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Edited housing needs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 09:37 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suttersmill View Post
Me:
Looking for a rental $2500 per month budget, 2 bed/2 ba with a dog.

Seeking moderately liberal, safe and friendly walkable community that likes dogs. Has mountain biking nearby. Seeking town less than 100k people that has a good scene, foothills desired.

No kids, late 40’s, music scene would be great (not hard core country)- Folk/rock/bluegrass.

Many thanks!
They are all good options. Look at Auburn as well.

All generally are below the snow line, although at least once or twice throughout the winter: Nevada City, Grass Valley and Auburn will get a few inches up to a foot. Auburn less likely than the other two. Chico very very rarely, will get snow, maybe an inch once every 10-15 years.

Chico is not a foothills town; it in the Sacramento Valley, and a pretty cool college town, Chico State affects the overall culture of the town. Chico State forever has been known as the "Party College" over many of the other California State University Colleges, not to be confused with the University of California college system. Chico State will have students from all over California, including a good share from SoCal and Oregon. But most will be from Sacramento and the Bay Area.

Grass Valley and Nevada City are right next to each other, less than 5 miles apart but two distinct separate downtowns (main streets). Grass Valley is the more conservative one; Nevada City always had a liberal bent to it but still the overall area including Auburn to the south are much more conservative than the rest of California. New money and a "progressive/leftist" crowd has been pouring in recently.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:10 PM

Thank you. Yes, they all are relatively good choices. Any insight into my specific asks?

Old 05-08-2022, 10:11 PM

114 posts, read 111,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suttersmill View Post
Me:
Looking for a rental $2500 per month budget, 2 bed/2 ba house/backyard with a dog.

Many thanks!
Chico's more valley than foothills, but it's become very liberal over the past 20 years unfortunately. There's always been a decent indie music scene too, so you're liable to find what you're looking for there too.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:23 PM

Lol- become very liberal unfortunately ! FWIW, I’m not in favor of homeless overrunning a town or meth heads. Who the heck wants those folks?

FYI, I read that the Chico city council flipped from Dem to Rep because of the homeless issue. Fine by me! When I say liberal I mean a town where carry/conceal and etc is not allowed. While I’m a straight male I support the rights of others in their sexual preference. I’m probably more libertarian - don’t tread on me (and others)

Old 05-09-2022, 12:28 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
They only place you will find true libertarians in California are in the outer parts of Sacramento County and primarily the counties north of it, and the Sierra foothills towns and counties southeast of Sacramento. But, excluding the coastal northern counties of Sonoma, Mendocino, Humbodlt, and Del Norte.... all too liberal to be considered libertarian.

See my thread about Gold Country Sierra Foothill towns with a poll, all those towns all have significant libertarians - These are the counties and towns that want to create their own new state, called the State of Jefferson.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:57 AM

I was wondering if my “more libertarian” comment would be misconstrued as “I am a libertarian”. Anyway, that was not my intention. I hope I can get feedback about quality of life, mountain biking, music, affordability, walk ability, etc.

Last edited by Suttersmill; 05-09-2022 at 01:17 AM..

Old 05-09-2022, 08:58 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
They only place you will find true libertarians in California are in the outer parts of Sacramento County and primarily the counties north of it, and the Sierra foothills towns and counties southeast of Sacramento. But, excluding the coastal northern counties of Sonoma, Mendocino, Humbodlt, and Del Norte.... all too liberal to be considered libertarian.

See my thread about Gold Country Sierra Foothill towns with a poll, all those towns all have significant libertarians - These are the counties and towns that want to create their own new state, called the State of Jefferson.
The proposed Jefferson is mainly the counties on the OR border. I wasn't aware that it stretched south as far as Gold Country, but I now see that one map includes Modesto. And it includes Humboldt, and by some reckoning--Mendocino. Those aren't libertarian counties. So politically, it's a mix. Also includes part of southern OR.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:07 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Nevada City and Grass Valley share a music scene and coordinate festivals between the two of them. A popular venue in Grass Valley is Rhythms Music Cafe, and there's an instrument shop called Foggy Mountain Music, which tells you something about the musical interests in and around town. Here's what the Nv City Chamber of Commerce says:
Quote:
The music scene in Nevada City and Grass Valley attracts a regional audience who come to enjoy top local, regional, national and international talent. From folk and bluegrass to rock and classical, you'll find it here. Major venues include Miners Foundry and the Nevada Theatre in downtown Nevada City and the Center for the Arts in Grass Valley.
Like to Center for the Arts, Grass Valley:
https://www.rosevilletoday.com/music...-grass-valley/

You could pay a visit and check out that cafe and music shop, talk to the proprietors and find out more. Or just call them, and let them know you're considering moving to the area, and are looking for a good music scene of a certain type.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:37 AM

658 posts, read 1,336,519 times
Auburn, GV & NC are great locations with relatively quick access into Sacramento and East Bay areas. What about Placerville, Sutter Creek & Jackson areas?

Last edited by trailtramp; 05-10-2022 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Added text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California