Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 09:34 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,449,517 times

Advertisements

It was the first week of September last year that Woodland Hills hit 121f.
September is a hot month. Always has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 09:56 PM

295 posts, read 245,940 times
It depends on the area in California, but in Los Angeles, we often have heatwaves in September. I live closer to the coast and even my area will be in the 90s next weekend.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:19 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's well-known that September is typically THE hottest month for the most populated parts of California.
As far as the entire state goes, July looks to be the hottest month of the year.

https://weatherspark.com/y/21771/Ave...of%2071%C2%B0F.

And July 2018 was the hottest month in California history.

July ('18) was California's its hottest month in 124 years of recordkeeping, according to NOAA’s monthly summary of U.S. climate released.... https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Ju...t-Mid-Atlantic

But that was before 2021. As far as the earth goes, July is hot. It’s official: July was Earth’s hottest month on record:
https://www.noaa.gov/news/its-offici...onth-on-record

Old 08-30-2022, 08:25 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
As far as the entire state goes, July looks to be the hottest month of the year.

https://weatherspark.com/y/21771/Ave...of%2071%C2%B0F.
Honestly, isn't it meaningless to average out the temperature for the entire state of California at any time? It's too large and we have too many wildly varying climates. At this moment it's 89 in Needles, 70 in San Diego, 58 in San Francisco, and 40 in Bodie --- "average" of 64!

Experience tells those of us who live in the metro areas of Southern California that September is typically the hottest month. The meteorologist I linked to in post #19 agrees. It doesn't matter that it may not be the hottest month in the Sierra Nevada or the Mojave Desert or even the Central Valley because that's not what we're talking about.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:11 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Honestly, isn't it meaningless to average out the temperature for the entire state of California at any time? It's too large and we have too many wildly varying climates. At this moment it's 89 in Needles, 70 in San Diego, 58 in San Francisco, and 40 in Bodie --- "average" of 64!

Experience tells those of us who live in the metro areas of Southern California that September is typically the hottest month. The meteorologist I linked to in post #19 agrees. It doesn't matter that it may not be the hottest month in the Sierra Nevada or the Mojave Desert or even the Central Valley because that's not what we're talking about.
Good point. You got me curious. I looked up Arcata. Currently 55, a high of 65 is expected. However, I've been checking wildfire news around the W Coast this morning. There is a warning out for CA and OR (governor of OR declared a state of emergency, even, due to ongoing fires and anticipated worsening of combustibility) regarding an impending high pressure dome over the area, that will send temps higher and increase the fire risk.

So that's probably what the OP is picking up on. Whether it results in temps that are normal for Sept. or exceed "normal" in the Bay Area is irrelevant, from that perspective. Fires are ongoing in southern OR and Humboldt, though the latter has managed to contain the main complex of fires by 80%. But officials are worried, that September will bring more fires.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-30-2022 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-30-2022, 09:14 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter that it may not be the hottest month in the Sierra Nevada or the Mojave Desert or even the Central Valley because that's not what we're talking about.
Although it was keeping with the topic of the thread, which is referring to the entire state.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good point. You got me curious. I looked up Arcata. Currently 55, a high of 65 is expected. However, I've been checking wildfire news around the W Coast this morning. There is a warning out for CA and OR (governor of OR declared a state of emergency, even, due to ongoing fires and anticipated worsening of combustibility) regarding an impending high pressure dome over the area, that will send temps higher and increase the fire risk.

So that's probably what the OP is picking up on. Whether it results in temps that are normal for Sept. or exceed "normal" in the Bay Area is irrelevant, from that perspective. Fires are ongoing in southern OR and Humboldt, though the latter has managed to contain the main complex of fires by 80%. But officials are worried, that September will bring more fires.
It probably will. Sept-Oct is the height of the fire season partly because it’s typically so hot. Of course there are other factors such as wind and aridity.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:30 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
It depends on the area in California, but in Los Angeles, we often have heatwaves in September. I live closer to the coast and even my area will be in the 90s next weekend.
We've had over 100 even in the middle of the winter with Santa Anna winds.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:29 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,405 times
August is the hottest month here in the central valley of California.
And, next week we will be feeling it. High temps of 112*.

September it will start to cool off, finally.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
August is the hottest month here in the central valley of California.
And, next week we will be feeling it. High temps of 112*.

September it will start to cool off, finally.
Um, August ends tomorrow. Most of this heat wave will be in September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California