Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 09:38 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
What's to prevent me from just buying a 40kW diesel genset to counteract all the potential shortages?
Yeah, most people won't do that but I can't see the state really stopping the truly determined. I can see a future where individuals are forced to produce all their own power or provide themselves whatever it is the state takes away.
Well, the cost of dyed diesel will make this a tremendously BAD investment. Plan on burning 50 gallons of fuel per day. (That's at 50% duty.) Here in the LA area, dyed diesel is currently $5.63 a gallon. Do the math on that one, for the month...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 12:35 AM

580 posts, read 513,929 times
Electric heaters are horrible and costly to maintain. The heater and AC basically is the same unit. The AC unit pulls in cold air from outside and coils heat it. So it takes way longer to heat your house versus heating it with gas. And since the unit is now on in the winter and summer, the wear and tear is insane.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:16 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
I installed a whole house generator on my CA house.
It’s on the far side of the house close to the property line near my neighbors house.
That darn thing is loud.
We can’t hear it but I’m sure my neighbor can and I bet he doesn’t like it.
I’m sure that soon these will have restrictions too.

Back to topic,
We summer in Washington.
There is no natural gas on the Olympic Peninsula.
Electric water heaters is what we have there and they suck.
They never really get too hot and they take too long to regenerate hot water.
That really sucks when you have a house full of out of state guests.
I might go tankless or design a better tankless for my needs.

In closing I don’t think it is fair that one person can have this much power over millions of people that have no say in his policies.
He did a similar thing with the gas tax too.
Things like this should require a vote.
There should be no taxation without proper representation used to be taught in our schools.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:31 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Electric heaters are horrible and costly to maintain. The heater and AC basically is the same unit. The AC unit pulls in cold air from outside and coils heat it. So it takes way longer to heat your house versus heating it with gas. And since the unit is now on in the winter and summer, the wear and tear is insane.
Interesting. We almost went with a heat pump when we had to replace our last unit just recently. We do have solar so may have been a good deal. But still I opted to go with gas furnace.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:33 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
I'm renovating this year:
Gas water heater.
Gas furnace.
Gas range.
Gas fire pit.
Installing solar with a battery back-up.

I might need to replace the water heater with electric some day, but that's NBD. I'll spend a little extra on the gas range to make sure it lasts forever (or is repairable). Same deal with the furnace.

I'd say I'm looking forward to cheaper gas as demand falls, but that's not realistic. My area will be totally built-out by 2030, and all those gas appliances will already be installed.

I agree that banning gas for heating and cooking is going to backfire and annoy people into eschewing REAL conservation efforts, just like that plastic straw nonsense.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:58 AM

19,217 posts, read 16,696,914 times
@wac_32, if you can avoid installing an electric water heater, do it. I've had both electric and gas and gas is, by far, more economical. Electric "anything" is expensive in a home. I don't know why the state is doing this. I don't think they understand how expensive electric appliances are to operate.

Also, between a gas furnace and electric, I prefer gas. It's a different type of warmth. Hard to describe but it's much more comfortable and heats the home quicker than electric, not to mention less expensive too.

Stupid state. Their new rules are going to be very bad, imo.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:33 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
@wac_32, if you can avoid installing an electric water heater, do it. I've had both electric and gas and gas is, by far, more economical. Electric "anything" is expensive in a home. I don't know why the state is doing this. I don't think they understand how expensive electric appliances are to operate.

Also, between a gas furnace and electric, I prefer gas. It's a different type of warmth. Hard to describe but it's much more comfortable and heats the home quicker than electric, not to mention less expensive too.

Stupid state. Their new rules are going to be very bad, imo.
If I need to I'll heat water by wood over electric

Old 09-27-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If I need to I'll heat water by wood over electric
I didn't include wood burning stoves since they aren't predominantly a source of heat here in CA. But they're good and I like them, too. The old cast iron we had in our home in the country heated the entire house. The only problem we had was we cut the wood ourselves. That is a lot of work. Cut, split, stacked. Yuck. Handled that stuff as much as we do groceries.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:42 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I didn't include wood burning stoves since they aren't predominantly a source of heat here in CA. But they're good and I like them, too. The old cast iron we had in our home in the country heated the entire house. The only problem we had was we cut the wood ourselves. That is a lot of work. Cut, split, stacked. Yuck. Handled that stuff as much as we do groceries.
It's a great workout and now I have some younguns to sling that axe. Who am I kidding. We have a wood splitter.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's a great workout and now I have some younguns to sling that axe. Who am I kidding. We have a wood splitter.
Good for the kids! We had our kids helping too. They learned to appreciate where the heat came from on those cold chilly mornings. You can't be a splitter. Being quite the handyman, my late husband built one as did my brother. That makes short work out of the job but you still had to haul it and stack it after splitting. We'd go through close to three cord a season. Gets cold around these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California