Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 08:29 PM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Wrong mogul dreaming.

No, I'm pretty sure I'm talking about what I'm talking about. It's good on California that they've been such an engine of the US economy that they've been able to lift up many stubbornly underperforming economies within the US. Though I guess there's a question if constantly sending that support over to these net receiver states means helping them perpetuate bad policies. It does make you wonder if perhaps there should be more terms enacted on those states in order to receive such funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 09:47 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I’ve always found this very misleading. Would California’s economy be so large if it wasn’t part of the United States?

In 2022 the US GDP was $26 trillion and California’s was $3 trillion, or 11%.

The US population is 330 million and California’s population is 39 million, or 11%

See a pattern here?

I’m a huge California homer, but this is like those who think they hit a triple when they were born on 3rd base.
I think that's a good point. Perhaps California is not an overperformer, while other states are either over- or underperforming. We are simply the biggest. But per capita, we are still creating much more GDP than, say, Germany, which has twice the population of CA. Or countries like India, which have a smaller GDP with a billion people in it. So that is still very high performance by world standards for sure.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:04 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, I'm pretty sure I'm talking about what I'm talking about. It's good on California that they've been such an engine of the US economy that they've been able to lift up many stubbornly underperforming economies within the US. Though I guess there's a question if constantly sending that support over to these net receiver states means helping them perpetuate bad policies. It does make you wonder if perhaps there should be more terms enacted on those states in order to receive such funding.
Or, for example, for the national taxpayers to bail out Silicon Valley Bank and the VC funds.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:48 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Or, for example, for the national taxpayers to bail out Silicon Valley Bank and the VC funds.
I can’t resist asking: in what way is a fed bailout of SVB a California bailout? … and as long as you are clarifying: what VC funds are being bailed out and in what way are they a CA bailout?

Old 03-18-2023, 05:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I can’t resist asking: in what way is a fed bailout of SVB a California bailout? … and as long as you are clarifying: what VC funds are being bailed out and in what way are they a CA bailout?
I wouldn’t call it a “California bailout” myself.

That said CalPers and Newsom’s wineries had well over the 250k in that bank and were at risk of losing millions.

Lots of VC company founders would get nonsensical perks for putting money in there too. Interest rates for account holders of a certain size were over 5% when federal interest rates were near 0, and many of these people got amazing home loan deals as well. The bank also dealt with some crypto investors and companies. So it was a garbage bank offering unrealistic benefits to entice large depositors to keep lots of money in the bank. The fact that SVB was buying 10 year treasuries at 1% when 90 treasuries were only a fraction of a percent lower is even more confounding.

I’d call it more a Democrat bailout to rich donors than anything else. While there were a few notable Republican investors the bank’s clients were mainly Bay Area startup founders who are 90% Democrat (and often large donors). There’s no doubt many Northern California businesses and startup founders benefitted immensely however.

Of course, the Fed was happy to throw over $200 billion in liquidity back into circulation. And they wonder why inflation is out of control

Last edited by njbiodude; 03-18-2023 at 05:38 PM..

Old 03-19-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I wouldn’t call it a “California bailout” myself.

That said CalPers and Newsom’s wineries had well over the 250k in that bank and were at risk of losing millions.

Lots of VC company founders would get nonsensical perks for putting money in there too. Interest rates for account holders of a certain size were over 5% when federal interest rates were near 0, and many of these people got amazing home loan deals as well. The bank also dealt with some crypto investors and companies. So it was a garbage bank offering unrealistic benefits to entice large depositors to keep lots of money in the bank. The fact that SVB was buying 10 year treasuries at 1% when 90 treasuries were only a fraction of a percent lower is even more confounding.

I’d call it more a Democrat bailout to rich donors than anything else. While there were a few notable Republican investors the bank’s clients were mainly Bay Area startup founders who are 90% Democrat (and often large donors). There’s no doubt many Northern California businesses and startup founders benefitted immensely however.

Of course, the Fed was happy to throw over $200 billion in liquidity back into circulation. And they wonder why inflation is out of control
Ok? The thread topic is about California’s (the state) achievements in economic status. SVB failure is a management issue of a private financial institution. Democrat (and Republican alike) investors who are / were account holders also are not the state of California. Nothing about what moguldreamer or you are commenting on has anything to do with the state’s GDP advancement. *shrug*

Old 03-19-2023, 11:01 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I’ve always found this very misleading. Would California’s economy be so large if it wasn’t part of the United States?

In 2022 the US GDP was $26 trillion and California’s was $3 trillion, or 11%.

The US population is 330 million and California’s population is 39 million, or 11%

See a pattern here?

I’m a huge California homer, but this is like those who think they hit a triple when they were born on 3rd base.
Excellent job! repped.

Old 03-19-2023, 11:50 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
The thread topic is about California’s (the state) achievements in economic status.

Sort of, but not really if you read the link that accompanied the first post (and it doesn't seem like many did). The theme of that piece is the apples to oranges nature of comparing California, a single state in the U.S., to global competitors, particularly Germany. The emphasis is on the reliance of strictly using GDP as the main comparator and how that's fraught with error. The author pens it nicely when he refers to the two having dissimilar "economic wiring" among other things. It's a good read. You should check it out.

Old 03-19-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Sort of, but not really if you read the link that accompanied the first post (and it doesn't seem like many did). The theme of that piece is the apples to oranges nature of comparing California, a single state in the U.S., to global competitors, particularly Germany. The emphasis is on the reliance of strictly using GDP as the main comparator and how that's fraught with error. The author pens it nicely when he refers to the two having dissimilar "economic wiring" among other things. It's a good read. You should check it out.
Yes. And I did read it when first posted. And even in the expanded topic view you frame, the comments I referenced are non-sequiturs.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:23 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,389 times
Quote:
Ok? The thread topic is about California’s (the state) achievements in economic status. SVB failure is a management issue of a private financial institution. Democrat (and Republican alike) investors who are / were account holders also are not the state of California. Nothing about what moguldreamer or you are commenting on has anything to do with the state’s GDP advancement. *shrug*
Tech is being wrecked by higher interest rates and likely after this SVB debacle higher lending standards for a while too after banking trouble. SVB had an incredible amount of wealthy Democrat account holders that helped them get bailed out but that doesn’t mean banks are going to be lending like it’s 2021 anymore anyway. Some had less than 5% of assets in cash—not going to fly going forward.

If you haven’t learned big tech is going through layoff after layoff as these companies’ stocks crater.

A solid 1/5th of the state economy is tech and even more finance, legal etc goes to support the industry. So yes it could delay California’s ability to be the “number 4 economy”. Biotech and pharma aren’t part of this calculation and also are a substantial part of the state’s GDP. The latter industries are also hurt by rising interest rates.

Last edited by njbiodude; 03-20-2023 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California