Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 09:47 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Can I claim new patio chairs that got knocked over?
Sure. Start making your list now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 12:14 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,501,453 times
Quote:
State of emergency and it hasn't even got here. https://www.gov.ca.gov/2023/08/19/go...es-california/

Sure. Those were the solid gold ones, right?

Old 08-20-2023, 05:57 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,208,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
The only people freaking out are the news people because that's their job.

2-3" of rain and 25mph winds. Pfffff. Big deal.

There will be some localized flooding and some trees will fall over but that happens during major winter storms every year. Meh.
The media has always been alarmists about hurricanes. I have been through a lot of hurricanes and tropical storms. Just be prepared for a lot of rain and some wind.

Old 08-20-2023, 06:38 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Give it a few hours. The storm is expected to hit Mexico south of Tijuana around 11 a.m. this morning, and then enter the U.S. east of San Diego.

Old 08-20-2023, 06:52 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
State of emergency and it hasn't even got here. https://www.gov.ca.gov/2023/08/19/go...es-california/

That’s typical and it’s exactly what happens in Florida as well. It speeds state agency assistance to communities in need. It enables the governor to make resources immediately available to rescue, evacuate, shelter, provide essential commodities (i.e., heating fuel, food, etc.) and quell disturbances in affected localities (like looting in evacuated areas).

Old 08-20-2023, 07:09 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well, even tropical storm conditions can devastate a tent based campground. Since there seem to be many peeps in L A Living in tents now, what's going to happen to Skid Row? Is Hurricane Hilary Clinton going to clean that up ? They already do not have enough shelter space for the people there on the streets....

Here is a scary point. Having been through numerous hurricanes, one of the risks is tornados. Now if one forms over water, it is a waterspout and those are actually common during a hurricane. But on land, suppose one got into skid row and started sucking up all the tents and syringes ? Imagine Sharknado but with Syringes ! Next Sci-fy movie idea?

Actually, as I lament this, and joking aside, I wish all the best for the City of Angels. When I was younger, I had some great memories there, back when it was a nice city, with fewer problems than it has now. I hope, in all seriousness, that the tropical storm brings only a little rain (mostly on the farming areas) and hurts no one.
There are homeless people scattered around all over the city. Not just skid row. The wind won't be that big of a problem nor tornadoes (might be a few most likely out in the desert) but they rain might. I am sure some homeless use the various drainage systems that feed the L.A. river to get around and perhaps stay in. Has to be lots of tunnels that go under streets. They are almost always dry except for times like these. And lots of homeless are detached from reality and won't know this storm is coming. Some will get washed away I would expect.

I remember my dad talking about the tropical storm in 1939. Last event that mirrors this one. Lots of bridges got washed out. The flooding is going to cause a lot of problems throughout SoCal. Where exactly remains to be seen.

Old 08-20-2023, 07:56 AM

50,246 posts, read 47,005,641 times
First round of rain was pretty good. It should get rockin by this afternoon.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:28 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There are homeless people scattered around all over the city. Not just skid row. The wind won't be that big of a problem nor tornadoes (might be a few most likely out in the desert) but they rain might. I am sure some homeless use the various drainage systems that feed the L.A. river to get around and perhaps stay in. Has to be lots of tunnels that go under streets. They are almost always dry except for times like these. And lots of homeless are detached from reality and won't know this storm is coming. Some will get washed away I would expect.

I remember my dad talking about the tropical storm in 1939. Last event that mirrors this one. Lots of bridges got washed out. The flooding is going to cause a lot of problems throughout SoCal. Where exactly remains to be seen.
There are homeless everywhere, not just in the city. All of the surrounding counties as well have thousands of homeless and all those areas are all expected to get a lot of rain. All the major rivers including but not limited to Mojave, San Gabriel, Santa Ana rivers will turn into fast moving and rising water and these are favorite places for the homeless to set up camps.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:28 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
So far, here, it's been a great big nothing burger.

.35" of rain.

Wind is blowing a solid 2kts G7kts.

Seems a bit humid tho.

The plumeria are loving it.

I have my "rain water collection" set-up deployed. (3 trash cans.)

Old 08-20-2023, 08:48 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
So far, here, it's been a great big nothing burger.

.35" of rain.

Wind is blowing a solid 2kts G7kts.

Seems a bit humid tho.

The plumeria are loving it.

I have my "rain water collection" set-up deployed. (3 trash cans.)
Maybe So Cal will get lucky, but the brunt of the storm won't even hit there until this afternoon. The only thing you've gotten so far are some small rain bands ahead of the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California