Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 09:34 AM

2,934 posts, read 2,022,286 times

Advertisements

https://bloomingtonian.com/2024/04/1...united-states/

One year report (2023?)
Is this survey company legit?

Riverside -san berdo #1
Houston #2
Albucracky #3

El Centro makes the list as well

Interesting news if you follow air quality and environmental news

The government report will be out in a year or two. That will confirm if this is legit or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 09:40 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,729,079 times
As a 50+ year resident of the LA metro area, I can hardly exaggerate how much cleaner the air is than it was when I was a child. Whatever else drives me crazy about the government of the state, they have done a great job at reducing air pollution.

I still find it necessary to tell visitors that the haze over the coast is marine layer/fog, NOT smoke or smog, because the assumption of the general public is that LA's air is filthy.

Of course, when there's a nearby wildfire, all bets are off.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:57 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,428,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
As a 50+ year resident of the LA metro area, I can hardly exaggerate how much cleaner the air is than it was when I was a child. Whatever else drives me crazy about the government of the state, they have done a great job at reducing air pollution.

I still find it necessary to tell visitors that the haze over the coast is marine layer/fog, NOT smoke or smog, because the assumption of the general public is that LA's air is filthy.

Totally agree with all of this. Been her my whole life and can absolutely attest that the air now is 1000x cleaner than when I was a kid. Our Government really has done an outstanding job in cleaning up emissions/smog etc. There is basically almost zero smog now in LA.

Old 04-24-2024, 11:27 AM

8,357 posts, read 5,521,256 times
That is true. The air is much better in the LA Basin now than it was when I was growing up. Perhaps a lot of the causes just moved to the IE.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:15 PM

Okay, so they used their own formula

While all data analyzed for the list was taken from the EPA, which collects information from states' regulatory air monitors, SmartSurvey's decision to give disproportionate importance in their calculation to "good days" — when air pollution poses little to no health risk to residents — means cities with consistent low-level pollution scored worse than they might have otherwise.

The SmartSurvey report attributed the rankings to the prevalence of industrial and fossil fuel emissions. Scientists, advocates and local governments in the Houston area have frequently decried how the city's lack of zoning has allowed polluting industries to locate adjacent to residential neighborhoods, often in communities of color.

More on Houston
But industry near minorities isn't just an htown issue

Old 04-25-2024, 06:30 AM

26,750 posts, read 26,850,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
One year report (2023?)
Is this survey company legit?
SmartSurvey is legit, but who knows about the study itself. We notice that one can't access the actual method by which the data was obtained.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:00 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,131,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

To top it off, all other jurisdictions in North America and the Western world can thank California for leadership in environmental legislation.

I remember driving on an East West highway, coming from the desert through the hills and witnessing an orange/brownish halo sun setting. This was in 1990, and the lead free fuel had long been established as the standard. Is this still possible apart from wildfires breaking out?

Old 04-25-2024, 05:29 PM

Today's air quality

Let's keep this going
drop the gas lawn equipment, upgrade to better vehicles, stop using fireplaces, etc.. It all makes a difference.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:37 AM

26,750 posts, read 26,850,772 times
The survey quoted in the Bloomingtonian (OP) is in complete contrast to the American Lung Association's survey.

"In addition to the 25 worst cities for each pollutant in the Report Cards section, the 25 most polluted counties for ozone and particle pollution are ranked in the tables below." (Cities in Indiana rank well below the many California cities on this list.)

https://www.lung.org/research/sota/k...olluted-places

https://www.lung.org/research/sota/c...olluted-cities

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...ity-once-again

Old 04-28-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The survey quoted in the Bloomingtonian (OP) is in complete contrast to the American Lung Association's survey.

"In addition to the 25 worst cities for each pollutant in the Report Cards section, the 25 most polluted counties for ozone and particle pollution are ranked in the tables below." (Cities in Indiana rank well below the many California cities on this list.)

https://www.lung.org/research/sota/k...olluted-places

https://www.lung.org/research/sota/c...olluted-cities

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...ity-once-again
DATA
What data are they using?
2020-21 had record wildfires
2022 was an improvement, but it still had wildfires
2023 virtually no fires
The link I posted was about 2023 DATA
Edit
2023 inland empire had the worst air quality according to my link. It wasnt all good news for CA

This morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California