Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:52 AM

324 posts, read 1,707,323 times

Advertisements

I honestly can't imagine having more smoke than what we have! It's thick. And yes, we are supposed to have another dry lightening storm out this way. Very scary! This fire storm has reached historical levels. Finally Arnold is getting us more help. What took him so long???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 AM

189 posts, read 344,369 times
I guess norcalmom101 is right and these fires are sufficient proof that our climate is changing.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,657 times
Here's an informative state government website one of my co-workers shared with me: CAL FIRE Home

I think our climate is always in a state of change, and never stays absolutely constant. Back in 1976 and 1977, just as one example, Santa Rosa had a horrendous drought, receiving only 12 to 13 inches of rainfall each of these two years compared to the normal 29 to 31 inches of annual precipitation. Also, Los Angeles went from 36 inches of rain a couple of years ago to only 3.21 inches in 2006-2007 (LA averages 14 to 15 inches per year).

Fires and floods in California just seem to trade off with one another, and we've got to get through this latest rough time we're having.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:03 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
First, one has to realize that fire is a natural part of the ecosystems involved. Humans tend to look upon wildfire as a disaster, but it was here before we arrived, it will be here after we're gone, and it doesn't care about our presence while we're here.

Secondly, we're just coming out of a wet cycle of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. A lot of homes have been built in the hinterlands that weren't there 30 or 40 years ago during the last episode of successive drought years. So it isn't just that there are more fires, but more fires that endanger human dwellings.

Thirdly, a lot of this land was developed by clearing it in a way that allowed a tremendous amount of brush-tinder to accumulate beneath the overhead tree canopy. Where there's fuel, there'll be fire. Where there isn't, fire will have a more difficult time achieving a sustained burn.
That is a better answer than mine was. I just drove through Santa Rosa and it seemed the smoke was so thick as to obscure the hills one normally sees. Whatever is causing the present situation, it sure is scary. We are keeping the house closed up and the kids inside. Seems worse than yesterday.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
I think people need to recognize that dry conditions do not CAUSE fires. Dry fuel makes them harder to control in the initial attack and harder to control in an extended attack.

A fire needs a point of ignition, whether its stupid human tricks or natural causes.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 PM

"Stupid human tricks" and natural causes being inevitable, wouldn't you agree that continued development in areas which contain unmanaged dry fuel is inadvisable?

Old 06-27-2008, 04:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
"Stupid human tricks" and natural causes being inevitable, wouldn't you agree that continued development in areas which contain unmanaged dry fuel is inadvisable?
Well it needs to be managed is all IMHO. The urban interface which is what the fire service calls this kind of area was named that in the early '70's when we started to get homes built in brushy areas throughout the state. In the State Responsibility Area (SRA...that portion where CalFire has the responsibility for wildland protection) it has always been required to have 30' clearance around your home of flammable vegetation. Last year the requirement went up to 100' or the property line which ever is closest. If development doesn't address defensible space, then it shouldn't be permitted.

The problem lies in the enforcement of this law. Generally most CalFire engines are not staffed year round (there are exceptions) so when fire season begins, the engine company has to train up the crew as well as make inspections. This is the first year my local engine company has inspected my house in the 7 seasons I've lived here. There are probably 2500 structures within their first due area and there's just no way they can get to all of them each year.

Every homeowner that lives in this kind of area should REALLY pay attention to complying with the regulations, but in my business I see a very low compliance rate in my area. Operationally, a fire crew will only attempt to save homes that are defensible, so if the homeowner hasn't done the job, he stands to lose his home.

Against most of the burning rules, I try to make sure that I have a black line around my home by April 1st. I burn out small strips of vegetation (well now it's mostly just leaves) and after 6 years of doing this, I have some pretty darn good defensible space. I replaced my redwood deck with lightweight concrete over a steel pan and replaced the composite roof with a metal one. My plastic skylights are my major concern, although it would take some very serious firebrands and a big wind to really get them afire. I also have a sprinkler system that can fog the area on the side of my home where fires are most likely to come from.

There is a spray on foam product that has been very effective in protecting homes from external fire. I'm thinking about getting one of the systems for my place, but I feel fairly comfortable with the house as it is.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:20 PM

Too bad everyone is not as responsible as you. Sounds like you are really doing a public service, and could help other homeowners by continuing to educate others. Are there any community groups that help people comply?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 PM

56 posts, read 163,585 times
It got way better today here in Truckee / Lake Tahoe, but then there was another fire somewhere nearby this evening. This afternoon I was able to see some blue skies. The evening fire smelled like it was close by compared to the haze from the week. I'm worried about the coming storms! I hope that they dump at least a little rain and don't have lightning, but I bet we wont be so lucky.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:28 PM

253 posts, read 1,332,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Secondly, we're just coming out of a wet cycle of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. A lot of homes have been built in the hinterlands that weren't there 30 or 40 years ago during the last episode of successive drought years. So it isn't just that there are more fires, but more fires that endanger human dwellings.
Exactly right. I remember the 70's drought well - seemed like a brush fire every week near where I lived back then in Marin County. Big fires happened all the time, but there wasn't as much urgency to put them out because far fewer people lived in the danger zones - they would just bulldoze a new fire road and let the blaze burn itself out within its new confines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California