Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 27,890 times

Advertisements

I want to relocate from Florida to California and I need to pick a city. I currently design and sell swimming pools and I would like to continue doing this. Does anyone know where construction definitely is or definitely is not happening? I would also prefer to avoid traffic. Am I dreaming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
Putting pools in was way popular in South Orange County and throughout Southern California for a long time. In my neighborhood of just 60 homes, twelve pools were built from around 2004-2007, including our own. With every home built in new neighborhoods like Ladera Ranch, Rancho, Talega, Aliso Viejo, Irvine etc... came many owners looking to put pools in also. However, the real estate troubles have slowed everything, especially construction. People are not putting money into their homes with pools and stuff until this cools down. Just go to a Home Depot today. Two years ago you could wait fifteen minutes to check out at a Home Depot. Today, the stores can be like ghost towns. All of So Cal is pretty much affected by this market. The richest folks will still put in pools, but that is a tough group to get as clients. They will pay way more for a big name in the pool industry and someone very established. I hate to be grim, but the construction industry is not strong right now. Everything that relates to housing has slowed a ton and I imagine it would be even more difficult to just start out here.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
I imagine where the summers are hot. My guess for a good place to start is the Central Valley. Central CA, from Sacramento down to Bakersfield.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:12 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Pool building is down quite a bit throughout the Central Valley. Most people built them using home equity, the drop in housing values has reduced the demand.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:24 AM

167 posts, read 492,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2Cali View Post
I want to relocate from Florida to California and I need to pick a city. I currently design and sell swimming pools and I would like to continue doing this. Does anyone know where construction definitely is or definitely is not happening? I would also prefer to avoid traffic. Am I dreaming?
Despite the housing slump (which affects the whole country, not just CA), I would say look at areas east of Los Angeles. North CA/San Francisco Bay Area isn't as wanting of cooling down in pools like in the hotter South CA. But LA is already crowded with people and buildings. So look east.

Look at relatively fast growing areas such as the Inland Empire (more specifically, Rancho Cucamonga), the Victorville/Apple Valley area (2nd this year in U.S. population percentage growth after New Orleans), or the ever-growing Palm Springs tourist resorts area.

Within these areas themselves, traffic isn't bad at all. If you plan on commuting in and out a lot, it could be an issue, depending on where you need to go.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2Cali View Post
Why don`t you diversify into storm shelters or safe rooms much more of a market across the country but perhaps not in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California