Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 9,538 times

Advertisements

I've been disabled since I was 32, Im now 36. I've seen the best surgeons in the country, but they have not been able to fix my back.
My disability check is so small that I can barely afford to eat. I can't afford to pay my rent much longer & I don't want to end up living on the street. I've already used up my savings, sold all of my belonging w/any worth, & cashed out my IRA. I expect I should live another 50 years & need to think about survival....ie. MOVING.
PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN MOVE THAT IS CHEAP. FOR THE SAKE OF MY MENTAL HEALTH (LOL) I'D LIKE TO BE CLOSE TO WATER. MY MAIN CONCERN IS THE HARDWARE IN MY BACK, SO I HAVE TO BE IN A WARM CLIMATE. IF YOU KNOW A SMALL TOWN ON THE OCEAN. IF YOU KNOW A SMALL TOWN OR CITYANYWHERE IN SoCAL. IF YOU KNOW A REMOTE DESERT AREA WHERE THE GROCERY STORE IS 40 MILES AWAY....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE IT IS.
I apologize, I've never done this before & don't know how to "blog" or "post threads" I don't have a MySpace page or anything else...so I'm a bit ignorant about how this works. But I do appreciate anyone who took the time to read this & hope you can give me some ideas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:35 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
Try Arizona, cheaper than most any place in California. Check out Yuma, AZ which is a big enough town with hospitals, shopping and other services. The weather is warm all year round with summer temps hitting 110 degrees.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:22 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
Warm, by the ocean and cheap? that's tough.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Warm, by the ocean and cheap? that's tough.
What about the Gulf Coast or parts of Florida?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
Mississippi is warm, by the ocean, and cheap. And the people there are nice, nice, nice.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:10 PM

215 posts, read 544,904 times
why don't you rent a room in a warm desert town from someone?you could place an ad in the local newspaper.PRAY JESUS LOVES YOU.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:25 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Lot of warmth and ocean views in Mexico, Mexico City has a world class hospital.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 9,441 times
I'd definitely avoid the gulf coast if I were you. Mostly because of the humidity. The moisture & changing weather patterns will wreak havoc on your back and joints. I'd recommend you look into the TwentyNine Palms area of California. It's fairly "cheap" for California and is definitely in the desert. Joshua Tree National Forest is right around the corner from there. Also, the area is known for the health benefits. A long time ago, a lot of war veterans went to the area when they were sick & injured because of the healing benefits of the water springs or something like that. The place actually became a town because of the military coming there to get better! I've never been but, want to go because of the health benefits! Palm Springs is to the south and I've heard it is somewhat of a healing mecca in the present day and very expensive.

I pray you find somewhere that will be an environment that you will not only be comfortable but will also thrive. God bless you!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,343 times
Arizona and maybe rural areas of Nevada might be your best bet. A lot of us are just barely getting by right now here in California but it has to be so much harder when you aren't able to work. May God bless you.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbluesea View Post
I've been disabled since I was 32, Im now 36. I've seen the best surgeons in the country, but they have not been able to fix my back.
My disability check is so small that I can barely afford to eat. I can't afford to pay my rent much longer & I don't want to end up living on the street. I've already used up my savings, sold all of my belonging w/any worth, & cashed out my IRA. I expect I should live another 50 years & need to think about survival....ie. MOVING.
PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN MOVE THAT IS CHEAP. FOR THE SAKE OF MY MENTAL HEALTH (LOL) I'D LIKE TO BE CLOSE TO WATER. MY MAIN CONCERN IS THE HARDWARE IN MY BACK, SO I HAVE TO BE IN A WARM CLIMATE. IF YOU KNOW A SMALL TOWN ON THE OCEAN. IF YOU KNOW A SMALL TOWN OR CITYANYWHERE IN SoCAL. IF YOU KNOW A REMOTE DESERT AREA WHERE THE GROCERY STORE IS 40 MILES AWAY....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE IT IS.
I apologize, I've never done this before & don't know how to "blog" or "post threads" I don't have a MySpace page or anything else...so I'm a bit ignorant about how this works. But I do appreciate anyone who took the time to read this & hope you can give me some ideas...
Well i got to say that you might want to look at the Bull head,Az . Golden Valley, Az. area just spent 1 1/2 yrs. there . Property is in expensive, good hospitals (2) great doctors ( i needed foot surgery and neck surgery , cancerious lump removed) every thing went well. If you have an RV you can put it in one park for $305.00 @ month easy access to every thing . It is dry but it is hot also ( june -Oct. could get as high as 122,) but most time it is great, will be going back there for the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California