Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 05:11 PM

378 posts, read 625,994 times

Advertisements

I have a question. How come a big city in California like Stockton doesn't have much racial diversity? Why is Stockton almost Mexicans only? I can go to Sacramento, Modesto, San Deigo, San Francisco, L.A., etc, and they are diverse. But not Stockton. Why is this? Is Stockton a special historical area or something? I'm interested to know the answer. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
It's looks pretty diverse to me.

//www.city-data.com/city/Stockton-California.html

Old 09-16-2008, 10:34 AM

60 posts, read 245,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I have a question. How come a big city in California like Stockton doesn't have much racial diversity? Why is Stockton almost Mexicans only? I can go to Sacramento, Modesto, San Deigo, San Francisco, L.A., etc, and they are diverse. But not Stockton. Why is this? Is Stockton a special historical area or something? I'm interested to know the answer. Thanks.
Well, Stockton like Modesto and Sacramento have roots in agriculture and industry. These blue-collar industries tend to be where immigrants start their journey toward the American Dream. From there, as a "group", they tend to move into the service industry and finally into the "professional" categories. Nearly all immigrant groups have followed this rough pattern as they integrate into American society.

The difference is that LA, SF, SD, and Sacramento have been able to diversify their economies and have much larger population bases. This tends to support a different mix of social-economic classes. Since the social-economic lines loosely follow ethnic-racial lines, what you're observing isn't too surprising.

I think Stockton is still struggling to shift its economy away from its industrial/agricultural roots.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,171 times
It's a big city in the valley. It's as diverse as it gets!

Old 09-26-2008, 01:50 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
What do you mean by lack of diversity? Stockton is more "Diverse" than San Francisco & San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California