Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times

Advertisements

What is wrong with them?

I would have thought that was OBVIOUS!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Damn, where do you live in California?

Oddly enough in a fairly liberal area. I have a huge college nearby (Cal Poly) which is mostly liberal from my understanding, but also have coastal cities which contain a lot of elderly/older conservatives. In addition I'm a bit more inland where ranches and farms are prevalent and the good ole redneck philosophy of 'hate the gays!!' is heard often.

There are McCain/Palin and Yes on 8 banners and giant pieces of plywood with PROTECT MARRIAGE on the side of the freeway along my route to work. I have yet to see an EQUALITY FOR ALL sign as large

Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
You should see South OC. This area already knows Obama is going to carry the state so they figure the next best thing is to go for Prop 8. This area is plastered in "Yes on Prop 8" signs.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,571 times
Default Good News in my humble opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
You should see South OC. This area already knows Obama is going to carry the state so they figure the next best thing is to go for Prop 8. This area is plastered in "Yes on Prop 8" signs.
Good for the Orange County folks! This is a political issue and people have different opinions. What a concept!!!! Aren't you the same folks who extol the virtues of diversity?

I have no problem with gays united in some sort of legal contract that can be legally regarded in the same terms as marriage. I think that's going a long way toward compromise on this issue. What I do have a problem with is calling that union a marriage.

Trouble is compromise just isn't in the vocabulary of the hardline left. You see, they see this as an opportunity to stick their thumb in the eyes of both traditionalism and religion. To accomplish this they have no problem labelling everyone who doesn't view the issue their way as bigots. Its a standard trump card tactic of the left. Everybody else is a bigot except them. This despite the fact that we already voted that marriage was defined as a rite between one man and one woman a few years ago-and that vote was summarily dismissed by a leftist court-more legislation from the bench! Incredible!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:02 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Yeah it not easy looking yourself in the mirror & believe you truly are a bigot but, surprise Just like racism, some poorly educated & mentally insecure people have to have someone to hate. But today it is not considered good taste to overtly say hateful things about Blacks & homosexuals. So instead, Republicans try to use every lame excuse there is to fight against progress & humanism [ie. no such thing as "global warming\ homosexuality is a choice\ Blacks are basically lazy] and I'm sure to can name a hundred more of your biases against others [but spare us please & save it for your Bible study.

You don't like being called a bigot? Good, grow-up & maybe enroll in college and/or therapy to improve your life. Just don't impose your ignorance of the rest of us in California, please.
We had this debate a few weeks ago, but you keep beating that drum.

In many, many ways you actually are a great example of why Montclair has concerns. This "my way or you're a (fill in the blank)" is just so self defeating, and only reflects poorly upon you.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-15-2008 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 AM

85 posts, read 295,656 times
Quote:
... Just like racism, some poorly educated & mentally insecure people have to have someone to hate... Good, grow-up & maybe enroll in college and/or therapy to improve your life. Just don't impose your ignorance of the rest of us in California, please.

Quote:
Prop 8 will not pass in our state since most people here are educated.

Quote:
Get yourself in some college courses as fast as you can otherwise posting ignorance will only evoke laughter.

And why do you post on a gay theme issue? Do you think we will be enlightened by ignorance? Or just a way to spew hatred.
Do we see a theme in these "arguments" here? I guess you just enrolled in some college courses and believe that you are intellectually superior to all those who disagree?

I seriously doubt that those who have a different view on this board are uneducated and would quickly change their minds by taking some college classes. I, for one, question your level of education based on your line of reasoning. Either you are a freshman or have a degree from a school with some extremely poor standards. "People who disagree with me do so because they are not as educated as I am" is usually taught in Logical Fallacy 101 at most colleges.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:11 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
I say we carpet bomb Kern County if the measure passes. Hell, let's do it anyway.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 AM

10 posts, read 15,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I say we carpet bomb Kern County if the measure passes. Hell, let's do it anyway.
Now that's an intelligent, well thought out, well educated, compasionate, and tollerant conclusion.

* * * Can you feel the sarcasm in sentance above * * *

Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post

Trouble is compromise just isn't in the vocabulary of the hardline left. You see, they see this as an opportunity to stick their thumb in the eyes of both traditionalism and religion. To accomplish this they have no problem labelling everyone who doesn't view the issue their way as bigots. Its a standard trump card tactic of the left. Everybody else is a bigot except them. This despite the fact that we already voted that marriage was defined as a rite between one man and one woman a few years ago-and that vote was summarily dismissed by a leftist court-more legislation from the bench! Incredible!
How the hell is a court with 6 REPUBLICAN appointees and ONE democrat a "leftist court"?

"The California Supreme Court has six Republican appointees and one Democrat. Scholars have described the court under the leadership of Chief Justice Ronald M. George as cautious and moderately conservative."
California Supreme Court overturns gay marriage ban - Los Angeles Times

So do conservatives like yourself just automatically assume any court that disagrees with your point of view is "leftist" or full "activist" judges?? I saw this so many times when the decision first came out, a bunch of clueless ignorant fools ranting about "leftist" judges and courts when its dominated by republicans. This is the typical far right, get a bunch of people emotionally worked up and pumping their fists in the air w/o actually looking at any facts.

And you can tell yourself what you want but this isn't about "sticking" it to traditionalism or religion at all. This is about EQUALITY and giving people RIGHTS they deserve.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How the hell is a court with 6 REPUBLICAN appointees and ONE democrat a "leftist court"?

"The California Supreme Court has six Republican appointees and one Democrat. Scholars have described the court under the leadership of Chief Justice Ronald M. George as cautious and moderately conservative."
California Supreme Court overturns gay marriage ban - Los Angeles Times

So do conservatives like yourself just automatically assume any court that disagrees with your point of view is "leftist" or full "activist" judges?? I saw this so many times when the decision first came out, a bunch of clueless ignorant fools ranting about "leftist" judges and courts when its dominated by republicans. This is the typical far right, get a bunch of people emotionally worked up and pumping their fists in the air w/o actually looking at any facts.

And you can tell yourself what you want but this isn't about "sticking" it to traditionalism or religion at all. This is about EQUALITY and giving people RIGHTS they deserve.

That's exactly what I didn't understand! They overruled it because it's unconstitutional, not because of personal or emotional issues!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California