Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Children weren't enough? Now Hillary is involved in this?
I dont know why I said that? Election overdrive I guess.

However, the scorched earth, slash and burn politics, fearmongering She put Obama through is very, very similar to the No on 8 campaign.

I dont think most no people are like that at all, but the message from the campaign is incredibly divisive.

When I first saw a sign that said 'H8', I knew the subject was effectively being changed from "Let us get married' to 'Either your with us, or you are an intolerant bigot'.

Win or Lose, I can't wait for this to be over.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM

28 posts, read 66,983 times
Your right to free religion stops when it imposes upon the rights of others. You want to quote the constitution quote all of it. Just like many of you like to quote certain parts of the Bible while ignoring any inconvenient passages.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
hahaha
Yes, all those Millionaires in the developing world are totally fattening the treasuries of the Mormon Church.
No, but, after a BYU satellite campus or on-line education, their kids might "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and contribute monetarily.

The only reason this is such an irritant is because it's highly likely that your church is a big-backer of this particular ballot measure. Your church has a long list of "shoulds" and, for most intelligent, independent critical thinkers, it's kind of offensive.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Exclusionary in the way they treat non-Mormons and those who don't buy into their program. You chose to bend what I said.

Yes, cosmopolitan and global, because, hey, if they can get people to buy into the "have to reproduce" mentality, it means more Mormons and more $. At least the Catholic church, and practically all other Christian denominations, beyond their Medieval "black eye" or two, and more recently, the Catholic clergy scandals, neither ram marriage, procreation and tithing levels down people's throats. It's considered ideal, not required.

Back to Prop 8. I think that the Mormons back it up because it "represents" the lack of procreation. Whether Prop. 8 makes it or not, it will never change the institution of marriage and the level of procreation. All of these are personal and situational in nature.
Mormons #s are growing because they hit up the poor and uneducated and try to SAVE them (think south american countries in need) and they procreate in such staggaring #s it's almost yanking the uterus right out of the women (but who cares because they are merely the copilot).

I agree with the idea of taking "Marriage" off the books for all people. It really has no use in California and God is most likely not present in about half of all weddings.

I was married at a country club and was married by my brother-in-law.
A gay friend was married in a church by a pastor.

WHO has the REAL marriage between the two? hmm?

Old 11-04-2008, 03:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
When I first saw a sign that said 'H8', I knew the subject was effectively being changed from "Let us get married' to 'Either your with us, or you are an intolerant bigot'.
With an issue like this, it can be that simple. Equality for all people is a basic principle of this society. Voting against that can't really be described any other way.

If people are voting because of church taxes or perversion of children, maybe they aren't hateful bigots. In that case, they're just stupid because they allow themselves to be manipulated by diversion tactics.

So then I guess we agree that not everyone voting YES is a bigot. However, none of them are honorable.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What the hell happened to you? Before you were against 8 and now you're vehemently arguing for 8? What did your family and parents pull some guilt trip on you?
Sounds like the movie "But i'm a cheerleader".

You cannot change ones desires no matter how much god you shove down their throat. These protests sound like an ex smoker preaching on their high horse, all the while fighting desperately to not inhale the second hand smoke wafting by.

What is right is right.

Voting NO on prop 8 is what is right.

Don't take away others freedoms because you are afraid of them. They deserve every happiness and the same rights that us heteros have.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:20 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,299 times
I think the majority of Yes on 8 people are neither homophobe nor bigots or any of the other names that have been hurled towards us. While you do have extremists on both sides, speaking as someone who just voted Yes on 8, I see the prop as simply stating that marriage is between a man and a woman. Since I am a Christian, and this is what it says in my bible. This is how I voted.

However, I don't see my vote as a vote against Gay rights. I would never vote for a Prop that would deny Gays equal rights. I have said time and again, everyone deserves the same rights. What I'm saying is that I can't support redefining marriage. If this was about voting for the expansion of Civil Unions/Domestic Partnerships so that they mirror the rights/penalties of marriage than I'd be all for it. However, that's not what was on the ballet.

I think there has to be some compromise on both sides. Until this is reached, we will always argue over this.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
I would never vote for a Prop that would deny Gays equal rights.
You just did sweetheart. That is precisely what you did. You took away someone else's rights for equality.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:56 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
I think the majority of Yes on 8 people are neither homophobe nor bigots or any of the other names that have been hurled towards us. While you do have extremists on both sides, speaking as someone who just voted Yes on 8, I see the prop as simply stating that marriage is between a man and a woman. Since I am a Christian, and this is what it says in my bible. This is how I voted.

However, I don't see my vote as a vote against Gay rights. I would never vote for a Prop that would deny Gays equal rights. I have said time and again, everyone deserves the same rights. What I'm saying is that I can't support redefining marriage. If this was about voting for the expansion of Civil Unions/Domestic Partnerships so that they mirror the rights/penalties of marriage than I'd be all for it. However, that's not what was on the ballet.

I think there has to be some compromise on both sides. Until this is reached, we will always argue over this.
So you just voted with your religion in mind, not your heart. How is your marriage threatened by my relationship of 29 years becoming valid? Why do you deserve the rights that go with marriage, even if it is your second, third or however many times you have been married. Why should my spouse and I, just because we are of the same sex, have to jump through expensive legal hoops to protect our lives and belongings that we share? And still miss out on benifits, pensions, tax breaks and social security. Why is it that you think you and your rights are more important than mine are? That your religion and its beliefs are better or more right? Is my belief in mother earth less valid than your belief in your god? Do I not have the same rights to religious freedom as you do? Or do I have to believe in a god you think is acceptable. I see proposition 8 to be a threat to religious freedom, it is intended to force one belief upon every one else.

VOTE NO ON 8

Last edited by TheDragonslayer; 11-04-2008 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 11-04-2008, 04:07 PM

62 posts, read 180,992 times
Churches already have religious freedom. The freedom not to be put in jail for believing all that stuff they want to believe. The freedom to live their lives their way.

It ends there.

They have no freedom to create laws that impose on the rights of others.
Heteros can still marry even if Prop 8 fails....they are being denied NOTHING.

Still the bigots hide behind this bogus "lack of religious freedom" crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California