Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Prop 1A should suck money from freeway widenings and suburban street repavings. It should not come from schools.
On this I agree. I'm glad some people are looking at the population growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's connecting LA, Fresno, Bakersfield, the Bay Area, Sacramento, and San Diego, all of the major population centers of CA.

The combined population of those metro areas with the most recent estimates is about 32,229,000 out of a state with about 36,553,000. That is 88% of the states population. The Central Valley, which is where most of the route is located, is currently and is predicted to be the fastest growing region in the state for a while.
While I am concerned about the cost overruns, mismanagement, hurdles and general bungling, the route is a major spine with some bends to get around, or under, some passes (the Pacheco Pass up north and the Tehachapi Mts. down south). The cities/areas on this spine will, in fact, account for 90% of the state's population for a long time to come.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
While I am concerned about the cost overruns, mismanagement, hurdles and general bungling, the route is a major spine with some bends to get around, or under, some passes (the Pacheco Pass up north and the Tehachapi Mts. down south). The cities/areas on this spine will, in fact, account for 90% of the state's population for a long time to come.
but how many of those people actually travel up and down the spine on a consistent basis? enough to warrant another rail line when the surfliner already exists? say what you want about the time of the commute, but the new rail line will have to stop to pick up people just like the amtrak and there is no lack of affordable airfare already while the small regional airports you can fly to and from in many of these areas are literally 5 minute wait from dropoff out front to sitting down in your seat

Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
but how many of those people actually travel up and down the spine on a consistent basis? enough to warrant another rail line when the surfliner already exists? say what you want about the time of the commute, but the new rail line will have to stop to pick up people just like the amtrak and there is no lack of affordable airfare already while the small regional airports you can fly to and from in many of these areas are literally 5 minute wait from dropoff out front to sitting down in your seat

A lot of people travel up and down that spine, LAX to SFO i s one of the busiest air routes in the nation in addition to the tens of thousands of cars that drive between NorCal, SoCal, and the Central Valley. Demand is there and will only increase with population increases.

The Pacific Surfliner doesn't run between Northern and Southern CA. It goes along the coast from SD to SLO, which makes it pretty much useless for anyone in the Central Valley or the Bay Area.

Flying in and out of small airports in more expensive than larger ones, I've searched for tickets to and from smaller airports like Carlsbad and Santa Rosa and they are not cheap.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
A lot of people travel up and down that spine, LAX to SFO i s one of the busiest air routes in the nation in addition to the tens of thousands of cars that drive between NorCal, SoCal, and the Central Valley. Demand is there and will only increase with population increases.

The Pacific Surfliner doesn't run between Northern and Southern CA. It goes along the coast from SD to SLO, which makes it pretty much useless for anyone in the Central Valley or the Bay Area.

Flying in and out of small airports in more expensive than larger ones, I've searched for tickets to and from smaller airports like Carlsbad and Santa Rosa and they are not cheap.
True on both counts.

The Surfliner is a milk-train and SLO to LA alone takes 4 hours...so add another 4 for San Francisco.

The secondary airports are expensive origins/desinations...Chico, Fresno, etc. Not pretty.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Well, unbelievable, but Prop 1 passed. Can anyone spell "penciling it out?"

I was expecting it to lose. I see its merits, especially with population growth. But the timing couldn't be worse. The cost overruns will be a force to be reckoned with. I don't see how laying two parallel tracks and a bunch of overhead cables past a bunch of cows and rows of crops in the middle of the state can get so costly, but could understand such problems to some degree in large urban areas where they have to chisel for the right-of-way.

Large projects tend to characterized by too many fingers in the pie, so I wouldn't expect it to be smooth sailing. Think "The Big Dig" in Boston.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 11-05-2008 at 04:44 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 05:09 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,923 times
Quote:
Large projects tend to characterized by too many fingers in the pie, so I wouldn't expect it to be smooth sailing. Think "The Big Dig" in Boston.
As someone who lived through the Big Dig I figure I can comment.

First off, Boston is different politically than California. In CA there is a little bit less corruption/old boys network and more straight incompetant politics. the problems with the big dig really lie upon people giving their friends contracts even though they had no right to them. Thus it took way longer and cost way more than was anticipated.

Secondly the Big Dig was a massive undetaking and I don't think they accounted for that. They built a tunnel underneath the city.

Thirdly, the Big Dig, while rife with corruption DID start a lot of jobs. Something which CA desperately needs. It is also a boon for general transportation in this state (which this state desperately needs as well).

Regarding the economics I would disagree. The only reason airlines are "cheaper" is due to heavy subsidization. After 9/11 the air industry should have been gonezo but it survived, it is STILL heavily subsidized due to high oil prices and a tumbling economy. Europe and Japan seem to do well with HSR, as does the Northeast.

And yeah I agree that local rail should expand as well, I have a feeling that it's in the works as well.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:44 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,483 times
Quote:
Well, unbelievable, but Prop 1 passed. Can anyone spell "penciling it out?"

I was expecting it to lose. I see its merits, especially with population growth. But the timing couldn't be worse. The cost overruns will be a force to be reckoned with. I don't see how laying two parallel tracks and a bunch of overhead cables past a bunch of cows and rows of crops in the middle of the state can get so costly, but could understand such problems to some degree in large urban areas where they have to chisel for the right-of-way.

But what many people don't understand is that if this didn't pass now, that would mean that it would be much more expensive in the future and also the growing population would trigger a highway expansion which would be around 80 billion instead of the 40 billion for the HSR.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
But what many people don't understand is that if this didn't pass now, that would mean that it would be much more expensive in the future and also the growing population would trigger a highway expansion which would be around 80 billion instead of the 40 billion for the HSR.
If you believe this project is going to cost anything close to what they say it will, I've got a once in a lifetime deal on some swamp land in Florida for you.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:54 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If you believe this project is going to cost anything close to what they say it will, I've got a once in a lifetime deal on some swamp land in Florida for you.
Still, even if it beats the projected highway expansion costs, it will still be far less polluting, there will still be a lot less traffic, demand for density along the route will increase, and it will create 460,000 permanent jobs as well as 150,000 construction jobs. Jobs are a good thing right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California