Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,073 times

Advertisements

Also, to the OP. If your SAT or high school grades are so-so you may be better off going to a local community college doing a good job and then transferring to Cal Poly or even a UC. Both the Cal states and the UC system accept a lot of transfers from California community colleges. Where as transfers between Cal state/UC are accepted in very limited numbers. You'll also save a lot of money.

The education at a bad Cal state really isn't going to be better than that at a community college.

Also, in general Cal state northridge is better than San Diego state. But that isn't saying much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 01:36 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
There is no CSU San Diego, there is a UC San Diego. And UC San Diego is more highly regarded than CSU Northridge but it depends on your major/interests. For the arts, Northridge is better, for science, UC San Diego is better.
CSU San Diego is San Diego State...not UCSD. Both CSUN and SDSU (CSUSD...though most go by SDSU) are better Cal-State schools. SDSU is more of a party school (not a bad thing). CSUN is more engineering and science oriented, whereas SDSU is more economic and health. I personally would pick SDSU since there is a more spirited vibe, then again I went to UC Santa Barbara...so I like the party vibe.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:00 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Even the worst UC (UC Merced) is much better than San Diego State.
Really? Because I knew some kids in high school who got good grades and good SAT scores and didn't get in. Toughness of admissions doesn't always indicate the quality of education.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
CSU San Diego is San Diego State...not UCSD. Both CSUN and SDSU (CSUSD...though most go by SDSU) are better Cal-State schools. SDSU is more of a party school (not a bad thing). CSUN is more engineering and science oriented, whereas SDSU is more economic and health. I personally would pick SDSU since there is a more spirited vibe, then again I went to UC Santa Barbara...so I like the party vibe.
It's in the CSU system but it isn't CSU San Diego. It is officially named San Diego State University and that is how it is known unlike, say, Fresno State which is officially named CSU Fresno but everyone knows by Fresno State. Obviously when I formulated that answer my mind went immediately to the other public school in San Diego, UCSD.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:13 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,942 times
No WAY UC Merced is better than SDSU!!! Honestly the whole UC/Cal State thing...it really does depend on what you want to do. I want to con't on to grad school, so a UC is better tailored for that (not saying that Cal-State students don't go on further. However, UC has a higher percent that gets their post-grad, around 50-55% vs. 20-30%.) But, had I wanted to just obtain my BS, then I would have went to a Cal-State. Having taken classes in high school at Cal-State, and having taken classes at a UC, I can tell you from experience that the teaching level is about the same. Actually, the Cal-State chem labs were more challenging. SDSU and CSUN are both ranked about the same, they would be on par with UCR. The majority of college grads in San Diego are SDSU alumni. CSUN is a good science school. Both are ranked as good research universities. Cal-State schools ARE MUCH CHEAPER!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
The majority of college grads in San Diego are SDSU alumni. CSUN is a good science school.
Point 1 - that makes sense...in fact, I think people attend and then settle there.

Point 2 - right, while I am more familiar with their business program, sciences appeared to be strong.

And, overall, some CSUs are on a par with some UCs (Riverside, Merced) but then, some UCs have become very "ivory tower," such as UCLA and Berkeley, so they are kind of out of reach for the majority of incoming freshmen.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:04 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,757,364 times
Here is how you get in:

CSUMentor - Plan for College - High School Students - Eligibility Index - California Residents

it's basically (10th and 11th GPA average of A-G courses) x800 + SAT or ACT score.

here's mine so far:

3.05 (which on that table is the highest) x800=2400 + ? (i dont my SAT score for November yet)

The minimum index scores for CSUs are 2900. And certain campuses have higher standards such as cal poly pomona and cal poly san luis obispo. Cal Poly SLO takes 80% transfers and has all impacted classes, so it's harder to get into for incoming freshmen. There index score is around 4000. Pomona has 3700 right now, and it used to be at 3600. I could get in if it was at 3600. And it could go up to 3800 which means i wont get in. I may be getting a 3700 index score. That would mean I got a 1400/1600. it's more likely i got a 1200 or 1300 on my SAT score.

San Diego State and Northridge have lower index scores. I would say there about 3200-3400.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:14 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,757,364 times
I plan to be majoring in urban studies and regional planning. I plan to be a city planner when i grow up.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,073 times
Quote:
SDSU and CSUN are both ranked about the same, they would be on par with UCR.
This isn't really true. UCR has gotten a lot better of the years. Some Employers in California don't even take degrees from San Diego state seriously because its bad rep.

Anyhow, to stress this again. At the end of the day you're going to be better off going to a community college and then transferring to a good school then going into a so-so right out of high school. Both the UC and Cal-state systems allow a lot of transfers, in fact often its easier to transfer into a program then it is to get into one right after high school.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,629 times
For some employers like investment banking houses, where you went to school and the schools alumni association will really matter, but those employers aren't going to be recruiting at either CSUN or SDSU. Instead what is going to limit your options is your major. If you study Nursing at CSUN or SDSU you probably won't have any trouble finding a job, the same for some of the more serious majors like Engineering. But there are majors like French or social studies where you ability to find employment will be based upon your general ability to network and aggressively find or create a job for yourself or just how attractive you are - a girl I went to high school with who went to CSUN is now a tv reporter in Utah. Attractive people can lead charmed lives that way. But a lot of these folks in the dead end up jobs are going to end up working for the phone company or in some sort of store manager training for big 5 if they aren't aggressive about knowing what they want to do.

As to social life at the two schools, there is probably more going on at SDSU, but if you live closer to one school or the other what you might save living with mom and dad might make the decision for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California