Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:09 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I plan to be majoring in urban studies and regional planning. I plan to be a city planner when i grow up.
Cal Poly SLO. Seriously, it's the best option for this field. Try your best to get in to SLO and maybe Pomona as a backup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
There is no CSU San Diego, there is a UC San Diego. And UC San Diego is more highly regarded than CSU Northridge but it depends on your major/interests. For the arts, Northridge is better, for science, UC San Diego is better.
There is a CSU in San Diego...It is called San Diego State and it's very competitive to get into.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:14 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
There is a CSU in San Diego...It is called San Diego State and it's very competitive to get into.
Dude, we covered this like ten posts back. San Diego State is in the CSU system but it isn't officially known as or even called a CSU. It's officially known as and called San Diego State.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Dude, we covered this like ten posts back. San Diego State is in the CSU system but it isn't officially known as or even called a CSU. It's officially known as and called San Diego State.
I am not a dude.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I am not a dude.
I could tell. Maybe next time you can read through the thread before making a redundant post.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I could tell. Maybe next time you can read through the thread before making a redundant post.
I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:11 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
which is better? csu northridge, san jose state, or san francisco state?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I like San Jose State the best. I was never that interested in CSU Northridge when I was applying for college but San Jose State is tougher to get into than San Francisco State I believe.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times
Quote:
For a planning major, San Jose State.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,495 times
Thumbs up CSUN alumni; I'm now a Planner

Quote:
I plan to be majoring in urban studies and regional planning. I plan to be a city planner when i grow up.
City, I have both my undergrad and grad degrees in Geography from CSUN. CSUN has a very well-respected geog dept. in geography circles, and in my various planning jobs I've run into other CSUN grads (got my first planning job that way - I recognized the supervisor's name on a Master's Thesis!!!) or people who knew my profs.

They do have an Urban Studies program now that was not available when I was going there. It was started by a prof that I have immense respect for, Dr. Tim Dagodag. I believe he has retired, but if he set up the dept., I would think that it's going in the right direction. He was a great proponent of internships for his students. DO take any internships or work on any projects that you can, it will help you get your foot in the door.

CSUN is primarily a commuter school, so I don't know how student life is on campus. It is not known as a party school. I was a working adult when I attended and was a commuter student.

If you have any further questions please feel free to pm me. I've worked in varied aspects of planning, including state, county, and in private consulting.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California