Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:49 PM

493 posts, read 515,129 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20yo guy in his third year at UC Riverside. Based on the experiences I've had living in Riverside for the last couple years, I've decided I'm getting OUT of the IE and moving somewhere else in California. I find IE people to be a bit too trashy for my tastes.

If I had to stay in the IE, I would only live in Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga, Murrieta/Temecula, Corona, or Redlands.

I'm going to graduate with a degree in political science and history, and I have no plans to attend graduate school in the next few years. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I'm considering moving to the city of LA, OC (not sure what part), or San Diego.

How would job prospects be in those areas in the next couple years, and what fields are strongest there? Also, what are the best neighborhoods for someone like me? Gay-friendly is a plus.

Or should I just pack my bags and move out of state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Texas.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:14 PM

405 posts, read 1,346,192 times
Did you have a plan for that poli sci/history degree? Other than teaching or working in Sacramento, what can you do?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
I'd suggest the DC area. Very gay friendly and we have lots more jobs than most anywhere else. We obviously have many politically oriented jobs here.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
So you want to move out of the IE because the people are too trashy? That's enough of a reason to want out? But for some reason the more suburban-style cities are okay?

In case you hadn't noticed, Riverside is pretty gay-friendly.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:50 PM

132 posts, read 426,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
So you want to move out of the IE because the people are too trashy? That's enough of a reason to want out? But for some reason the more suburban-style cities are okay?

He didn't say he found the people trashy, just most of the IE. Which is true. For the most part. There's some gorgeous parts but when people think of the IE they think San Bernardino right off the bat.

Although Sacramento is definitely gay friendly and is the hub of all politics in California, I know for a fact through myself and friends who have worked for the state and in higher ranking positions with elected officials that now isn't the time to be looking for a job. If you you haven't lost a job yet then you're okay but don't expect on finding something new is the mentality around here.

You should look in to teaching or something otherwise a degree like yours will land you pretty much nowhere. Even places like Target or Walmart are very sporadic about hiring people. There really is not good place to move in the state right now that has work - especially for someone with a liberal arts degree.

Sorry to put it bluntly but I have first hand knowledge given that I'm only a few years older than you and I know people in similar predicaments.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Soup kitchen in West Holywood? Not right away, but who knows?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Consider looking into a development (as in fundraising for nonprofits) job. The entry-level jobs often have high turnover, and there are still some around in this economy. While the work itself isn't related to your degree, your background might give you an edge for some jobs. A lot of development people have liberal arts backgrounds, so you'll fit right in. Salaries can range from terrible to pretty good.

Are you doing any internships now? If not, I'd seriously consider doing one before graduating. Do it in something useful and related to your job so you can demonstrate that you have practical experience.

When it comes to actually applying for jobs you might want to consider applying to jobs in a very broad area, and make your decision on where to move based on where you can find a job. At least you're in the general area now; since you're a college student in the IE you're still pretty local, and you'll be able to relatively easily get yourself to an interview (and then make the move) to anywhere in Southern CA. Work whatever contacts you have at school, too.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 AM

493 posts, read 515,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
Did you have a plan for that poli sci/history degree? Other than teaching or working in Sacramento, what can you do?
Not exactly sure on career plans yet. Still weighing my options.

Quote:
I'd suggest the DC area. Very gay friendly and we have lots more jobs than most anywhere else. We obviously have many politically oriented jobs here.
I've read about how it's the top destination for young, educated people, and it would be an interesting place for me to live but the winters are just too cold for my tastes

Quote:

The UC Riverside campus is, but the city: Not so much. It has some gay venues and is improving, but I definitely wouldn't stay there. Supposedly 90% of UCR graduates leave Riverside after graduation, and I can understand way. Being out in Riverside and Moreno Valley a lot, I would really not want to live amongst many of the people I see (no this is not a racial comment at all).

The more suburban style cities are okay because they are more desirable places to live for me.

Quote:
He didn't say he found the people trashy, just most of the IE. Which is true. For the most part. There's some gorgeous parts but when people think of the IE they think San Bernardino right off the bat.
Exactly. Much of the IE just looks too trashy for me to want to live in. There are definitely nice parts, but most of the IE is not like that.

Quote:
Are you doing any internships now? If not, I'd seriously consider doing one before graduating. Do it in something useful and related to your job so you can demonstrate that you have practical experience.
I'm planning to do an internship later this school year.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:42 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
The UC Riverside campus is, but the city: Not so much. It has some gay venues and is improving, but I definitely wouldn't stay there. Supposedly 90% of UCR graduates leave Riverside after graduation, and I can understand way. Being out in Riverside and Moreno Valley a lot, I would really not want to live amongst many of the people I see (no this is not a racial comment at all).

The more suburban style cities are okay because they are more desirable places to live for me.
I grew up in and went to high school in Riverside, and I had many gay classmates. The Galleria at Tyler seemed like the spot to see gays out and about (at least as of a couple of years ago). Out of any of the places I've lived, Riverside seemed to have the most gays around.

I would think UCR graduates leaving Riverside has more to do with Riverside's job market/economy. Riverside isn't exactly a hub/mecca of anything, except for working/middle class commuters. It's not what you'd call a 'city of professionals'. I'd imagine many graduates flock to bigger cities, as is the case with most colleges I assume.

I felt the same way you did about "the people" of the IE. Like I didn't belong, and that I was so different and better than all of the people there. Now that I've been gone from "home" for awhile, I've realized that no matter what, the IE will always be home and where I will always fit in, and that I'm not drastically different or better than anybody.

What is it about the suburban-style cities that makes them better places to live for you? Is it because they are richer or higher-class? If so, there's some areas of Riverside I think you should explore.

Seriously, every one of those cities you listed scream BORING, especially for a twenty year-old. I should know, I've worked in two of them and lived in two of them. Conformity abounds in those places.

Anywho, good luck, and I hope you find what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California