Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:32 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,452 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering. We have been looking at Idaho for months now for a place to work a while longer and then retire. It is affordable and lots of CA residents are going there. I wonder what other states have low cost homes and living expenses? That other CA residents are finding attractive and are moving too. I have heard mention TX...any other states...and where in TX?

Izzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 03:21 PM

346 posts, read 2,141,269 times
Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Texas, North Carolina

CA residents are moving to wherever is CHEAPEST to get the most bang for their buck. They are sick of having to put up with crime, congestion, pollution and getting 500 sq foot homes for a million bucks.

The ones who prefer their sunny days are moving to Arizona, Nevada. The ones who want colder climates or differing seasons are going to Idaho and North Carolina. The ones who don't mind the rain are moving to the Pacific Northwest (primarily Oregon) and the ones who want the most land the cheapest are moving to Texas. They really are moving everywhere but those are the most concentrated locations people are moving. Where in the state really depends on what you're looking for. I think most Californians are moving to major cities like Boise in Idaho and in Oregon people are moving to Bend because it's a lot like California except they have slightly colder winters.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM

Do you know what cities in Arizona and Nevada? What about New Mexico?

Izzy

Old 12-04-2006, 04:20 PM

Go ahead and check out the forums for those different states. I'm bored all day at work so I go and read all the threads in the different states. The places they are moving to are the places most posted about. I'm not sure about either of those because I'm relocating to Oregon. Go on the Arizona boards. Honestly people are moving all over in these states depending on what they are looking for specifically. In Arizona I've heard that Prescott is really good, I've heard people are moving to Scottsdale and Flagstaff and I've heard from just about everyone to stay out of Phoenix because it's a dump. Nevada it seems that people are moving to Mequite, Vegas and Reno and all over really. I know nothing about New Mexico sorry! Best thing you can do is go on these boards and read over old threads, do searches and ask questions specifically to people looking to relocate there or people living there. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:35 PM

Thanks Des Demona. I will checkout the forums you mentioned. I'm hoping to find a lot of info about states within driving distance to CA. My husband is concerned that idaho may be too cold for him. He works outside a lot as a road mechanic. Me...I'm indoors all the time. I do like pretty scenery around me and I'm use to living in a rural community...with a short commute for hubby to work. Plan to retire in the next 10 years and it won't be in our current home. The payments will be too high. So we are planning a move in the next couple of years...hoping to get in on the lower priced homes.

Thanks again for pointing me in a couple of directions. Didn't have time to check out every state with little ones in the house needing me.

Izzy

Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Izzy, you and your husband might like Southern Oregon. It's pretty close to northern CA and they have pretty decent weather there. It doesn't get too hot or too cold and they have beautiful lush landscapes and greenery. You might check out Medford near Ashland or Grants Pass. It's also quite affordable there. Many people like Southern Oregon because the weather is so similar to Northern Cali weather only it's cheaper and perhaps even prettier. There are a ton of rural communities as well as some bigger ones. You might check that out too. I've seen your other posts and I think you might want to look there... Let me know what exactly you are looking for and I'd be willing to do some research for you. I've got a lot of time on my hands at work and obviously you don't with kids and all. Let me know..

Old 12-04-2006, 06:04 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Thanks Des Demona. I will checkout the forums you mentioned. I'm hoping to find a lot of info about states within driving distance to CA. My husband is concerned that idaho may be too cold for him. He works outside a lot as a road mechanic. Me...I'm indoors all the time. I do like pretty scenery around me and I'm use to living in a rural community...with a short commute for hubby to work. Plan to retire in the next 10 years and it won't be in our current home. The payments will be too high. So we are planning a move in the next couple of years...hoping to get in on the lower priced homes.

Thanks again for pointing me in a couple of directions. Didn't have time to check out every state with little ones in the house needing me.

Izzy
Quite a few Californians are also moving to Hawai'i. Although it's not within "driving distance" of California, you can find some relative bargains here.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Thanks to both of you. We are looking for under $200,000. 3 BR, 2 BA, over 1600 sq. ft. I think that puts Hawaii out of the ball park for us. We can find this in Boise, ID.

I thought oregan was pricer than what we could afford. Hubby has to be near a bigger city. That is where the forklift mechanic work is...until he can retire.

Let me know if you think of any place that can offer that. We will be doing research for awhile. Haven't given up completely on idaho. Boise does sound nice. Just want to do the best I can for my hubby...who works outside.

Thanks,

Izzy

Old 12-04-2006, 09:56 PM

85 posts, read 505,456 times
When I lived in Atlanta I met tons of other "CA refugees". I remember shortly after moving I struck up a conversation with the manager of a Blockbuster video store. When I mentioned I moved there from CA he laughed and said he knew at least 45 customers who had moved from CA since he had been working there (about 3 years)

So, Georgia is yet another destination.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:24 PM

38,904 posts, read 22,900,003 times
Check out the Colorado forums. You'll see LOTS of postings from both transplanted Californians and Californians making inquiries of Colorado living. I get the impression that Colorado is getting to be expensive, but still a bargain compared with the coastal areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California