Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 08:53 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
there are binders full of happy women in SB. one unhappy woman will not be missed.
I see what you did there, and it made me laugh. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
As though Santa Barbara is the only city in California with good weather. SLO all the way to San Diego has the same weather, from Ventura down to San Diego (I don't know about SLO, I have never lived there) has decent people.
Well of course we all have good weather. I live in Oxnard and work in Ventura. It just so happens that from where I work I can look up into the Santa Barbara Channel and get a glimpse of the weather. It is not exclusive to Santa Barbara. You do know that many of us regulars are just joking around with this never ending hate fest of Santa Barbara don't you. It is all in fun and not meant to take away the beauty and enjoyment of other places within the coast.

One thing I will say about the coast line of Santa Barbara lets say near the wharf. The shape of the coast allows for a clear, fog free area many times when fog occurs between Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. The countour of the coastline forces the fog to go around. We were on our way up to Santa Barbara and was thinking that maybe we should find something else to do. When we got there it was clear and I realized that that part of the coast helps block fog coming from the North west. Sure this is not always going to be the case but many times you can find the area of the beach near the wharf to be fog free.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:09 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
One thing I will say about the coast line of Santa Barbara lets say near the wharf. The shape of the coast allows for a clear, fog free area many times when fog occurs between Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. The countour of the coastline forces the fog to go around. We were on our way up to Santa Barbara and was thinking that maybe we should find something else to do. When we got there it was clear and I realized that that part of the coast helps block fog coming from the North west. Sure this is not always going to be the case but many times you can find the area of the beach near the wharf to be fog free.
This is correct. Santa Barbara is a south facing beach town, so it is sunnier than most other SoCal coastal locations. The same is true for Santa Cruz up here in NorCal. Santa Cruz is significantly sunnier with warmer summer afternoons than places like Monterey to the south or Pacifica to the north.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM

9 posts, read 26,475 times
Angry Do us a favor

Do all of us who love Southern California a favor - go back to San Francisco! The first time we went to San Francisco, my daughter asked, "Doesn't anyone work here? Half of the people beg and the other half steal." My husband had his pocket picked on the cable car right after we arrived. I'll take So. Cal. You can keep SF!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagain57 View Post
Do all of us who love Southern California a favor - go back to San Francisco! The first time we went to San Francisco, my daughter asked, "Doesn't anyone work here? Half of the people beg and the other half steal." My husband had his pocket picked on the cable car right after we arrived. I'll take So. Cal. You can keep SF!
My daughter went to school there, she had a place on Nob Hill, worked near Fisherman's wharf. She walked everywhere she went.

I would visit her, we would walk somewhere for supper, then walk back, sometimes later in the evening. Lots of people out and about, women walking or jogging alone. San Francisco is a very safe city. You got your pocket picked because you looked like a tourist and did not take the normal precautions any tourist should take in any city. Wallet goes in the front pocket, wrist watch too..

Median Household income in SF, $71,304. That is higher than San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara. People work, and people tend to do well. Some people, particularly religious conservative people would like to hate San Francisco as they think of it as a place of sin.

I think there are three cities worth visiting in the US, Boston, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Quebec, yeah, I know it is in Canada, and they speak French, but, it is a walled city, and has great food.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
My daughter went to school there, she had a place on Nob Hill, worked near Fisherman's wharf. She walked everywhere she went.

I would visit her, we would walk somewhere for supper, then walk back, sometimes later in the evening. Lots of people out and about, women walking or jogging alone. San Francisco is a very safe city. You got your pocket picked because you looked like a tourist and did not take the normal precautions any tourist should take in any city. Wallet goes in the front pocket, wrist watch too..

Median Household income in SF, $71,304. That is higher than San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara. People work, and people tend to do well. Some people, particularly religious conservative people would like to hate San Francisco as they think of it as a place of sin.

I think there are three cities worth visiting in the US, Boston, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Quebec, yeah, I know it is in Canada, and they speak French, but, it is a walled city, and has great food.
Funny you should say that as someone was just catching flack on C-D for having moved to Boston from CA and not liking it there. I've never been to Boston, but your timing was ironic. Click and Clack are in Boston, so it can't be that bad.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM

I moved to Boston when I was 18, I hated it. Brown brick, hot and humid or cold, really cold. I would take the bus to New Hampshire, to the Presidential Range and go hiking every chance I got. I missed the Sierra, and I missed living in the country. But, I learned to enjoy Boston, I took classes at Harvard, which was very impressive for a small town California kid.

If you enjoy history, Boston is great.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I moved to Boston when I was 18, I hated it. Brown brick, hot and humid or cold, really cold. I would take the bus to New Hampshire, to the Presidential Range and go hiking every chance I got. I missed the Sierra, and I missed living in the country. But, I learned to enjoy Boston, I took classes at Harvard, which was very impressive for a small town California kid.

If you enjoy history, Boston is great.
My co-worker is about to move to Boston. I like brown brick and lots of history (and humidity doesn't bother me), but I reminded her that if it's north, it's going to be much colder. Brrr... We took a ski trip in college to Killington (VT) and other nearby resorts. I thought my face was going to freeze off. Pretty sure that was the first and last time I went to New England, that I can remember. I'm sure it's fabulous in the summer, though.

Anyone hating Santa Barbara should be thankful they're not somewhere cold.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM

If someone hates Santa Barbara, my guess is that their economics weren't too good. As a town, it is a fine place to live, and close to fine places to visit.

There was a winter wind in Boston that was called the Montreal Express, It could take your ears off!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
If someone hates Santa Barbara, my guess is that their economics weren't too good. As a town, it is a fine place to live, and close to fine places to visit.

There was a winter wind in Boston that was called the Montreal Express, It could take your ears off!
You're probably right about economics.

I've never been to Santa Barbara, but from what I know of it from friends, it looks like paradise. I'm bursting at the seams to see it in person! Soon.

That Boston wind sounds as enjoyable as waterboarding. In college, we would get cold winds so bad we had to walk backwards on campus to get to class (no exaggeration). And that's in a state south of MA. I can only imagine what it's like up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California