Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,082,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaaz View Post
When I studied an earthquake map of Southern California, the area of least seismic activity was N. County San Diego. amazing they built a nuclear plant there? no accident I'm sure.
There may be no rhyme or reason. Diablo Canyon (nuclear power plant) was built directly on an earthquake fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 11:29 PM

57 posts, read 209,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
There may be no rhyme or reason. Diablo Canyon (nuclear power plant) was built directly on an earthquake fault.
You simply engineer the containment building such that it will withstand any conceivable earthquake.

The problem with earthquakes isn't that it is impossible to engineer structures that are impervious to anything short of an actual surface rupture appearing beneath them and swallowing them up, but that it is generally cost-prohibitive to do so. It would be cost-prohibitive to engineer the five million private homes in southern California to withstand earthquakes. On the other hand, it's not cost-prohibitive to so protect the sole large nuclear reactor in southern California.

In fact, the containment building at the San Onofre NGS would be an exceptionally safe place to be in the event of a large local earthquake.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:35 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,060,380 times
I've lived in CA my whole life - I was born here...earthquakes have never caused us any damage other than a broken figurine or two in over 50 years...I don't worry about earthquakes at all.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:43 PM

47 posts, read 229,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I've lived in CA my whole life - I was born here...earthquakes have never caused us any damage other than a broken figurine or two in over 50 years...I don't worry about earthquakes at all.
along with 35 million other people. 500,000 people in new orleans didn't worry about hurricanes either. you have never been through a real earthquake, if a broken figurine is the worst you've experienced. congrats. I actually thought earthquakes were fun, and californians were paranoid. but I wasn't laughing during the northridge quake. I didn't expect to live through it.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:40 AM

107 posts, read 1,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaaz View Post
along with 35 million other people. 500,000 people in new orleans didn't worry about hurricanes either. you have never been through a real earthquake, if a broken figurine is the worst you've experienced. congrats. I actually thought earthquakes were fun, and californians were paranoid. but I wasn't laughing during the northridge quake. I didn't expect to live through it.
I thought earthquakes were fun until Northridge. That one still scares me. The sound....do you remember the sound? Like a huge roar....it was awful. I was in North Hollywood, in a third floor apartment, and the building bounced up and down and side to side- everything was thown around. My then 1yo was spending the night at his babysitters...in Northridge. He got a concussion from a bookcase falling on his head

I am not looking forward to dealing with earthquakes again. We don't have much in the way of disasters where I currently live, in rural Northern AZ. Wildfires are about the only concern....and those don't take you by surprise.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:09 AM

Default that sound

well, its one of those things that if you haven't been through it, you can't describe it, and people don't really believe you. (when it was over, I immediately called my mom in TX, told we had a huge quake, that I thought it was the 'big' one and she would see it on the news, but we lived through it. then the phones went dead.)

just like folks who have never been through a major hurricane. they have hurricane parties, instead of getting the hell out. that is actually how a lot of those thousands of galveston folks died in 1900. drowned from storm surge while having hurricane parties.

yes I'm in AZ too. part of the decision had to do with not waiting around for the next big quake in CA. even if you live through it, if you own property, you're wiped out financially. a lose lose proposition. and at least with the wildfires, yes, there is some warning.

with earthquakes, they could happen any second. there is no way to be prepared at every moment.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,328,487 times
Yes, until you have gone through an earthquake it's VERY hard if not impossible to pass any judgement on anyone who has gone through a major earthquake. I can't say they are fun, maybe exciting, IF you are farther away from it and only get a few broken figurines. But I promise you, to be in a major earthquake can change a persons life.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:55 AM

208 posts, read 980,087 times
no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no hot sticky humid weather, no bugs...

the very infrequent earthquake that usually does no harm is a small price to pay for the most beautiful state in the nation

Old 03-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no hot sticky humid weather, no bugs...

the very infrequent earthquake that usually does no harm is a small price to pay for the most beautiful state in the nation
yes I would agree with you. if it were true.
here is a little recent info for you

"A new estimate of the effect of an earthquake along the Puente Hills fault shows that damage could occur on an unprecedented scale.
An earthquake of magnitude 7.2 to 7.5 would result in 3,000 to 18,000 deaths, 142,000 to 735,000 displaced households, and up to $250 billion in property damage, according to research by the U.S. Geological Survey and the Southern California Earthquake Center at the University of Southern California. The disaster would be the costliest in U.S. history.

The damage would be especially severe due to the fault's location under Los Angeles County and adjacent to Riverside and San Bernardino counties. In addition the fault runs under older, more vulnerable commercial and industrial structures.

By contrast, the most heavily shaken areas in the 1994 Northridge earthquake consisted mainly of wood-frame residential structures.

Estimated damages would also be greater than for a repeat of the historic 1857 San Andreas Fault earthquake"

http://www.physorg.com/news4263.html

Old 03-12-2007, 01:31 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,082,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collideascope View Post
You simply engineer the containment building such that it will withstand any conceivable earthquake. ...the containment building at the San Onofre NGS would be an exceptionally safe place to be in the event of a large local earthquake.
Well, it better be. Hardly a second chance with a nuclear accident. To me the gamble is way to high to have nuclear power plants in California. But that's me; I'm risk averse. Anyway, the plants are here now, so what can one do? I've heard talk that Diablo might be converted to gas. Couldn't be soon enough for my sensibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California