Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:20 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times

Advertisements

More and more coastal cities have their taps running dry such as Cambria. Northern California has the city of Bolinas out of water this month.

What is the future for SLO county and beyond? Will the grapes and crops go away?

Which cities in the area have good water supplies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 03:07 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
The state water pipeline came throught SLO Co. abot 12 yrs. ago. Not sure all the communities that hooked up. You might want to look into that. There is a big pipeline project going on right now to take water from Lake Nacimiento. I believe for the city of SLO, not sure where else. Los Osos and Cambria have water issues. That I know for sure. Morro Bay and the city of SLO should be covered. I believe Morro Bay recieves state water and also has a desalination plant for emergencies. I'm really not eductaed on this subject fro the county as a whole.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
The state water pipeline came throught SLO Co. abot 12 yrs. ago. Not sure all the communities that hooked up. You might want to look into that. There is a big pipeline project going on right now to take water from Lake Nacimiento. I believe for the city of SLO, not sure where else. Los Osos and Cambria have water issues. That I know for sure. Morro Bay and the city of SLO should be covered. I believe Morro Bay recieves state water and also has a desalination plant for emergencies. I'm really not eductaed on this subject fro the county as a whole.
I have a friend that lived in Cambria a few years back and he said all of their water came from 2 small streams that flow past the town and a well or 2. I could see why they had problems! Also, i knew someone in Atascadero and she said their water comes from wells located in the Salinas river bed. That seems "iffy" also as the last time I went by the riverbed was dry. It appears that unless a town hooks up to California canal that their water situation is dependent on the scant rainfall.

So, that said I am surprised at any of the Central Coast cities promoting any kind of meaningful growth. i think SLO County has a 2% cap on growth but will have to research that a little more.

Thanks for your information.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I have a friend that lived in Cambria a few years back and he said all of their water came from 2 small streams that flow past the town and a well or 2. I could see why they had problems! Also, i knew someone in Atascadero and she said their water comes from wells located in the Salinas river bed. That seems "iffy" also as the last time I went by the riverbed was dry. It appears that unless a town hooks up to California canal that their water situation is dependent on the scant rainfall.

So, that said I am surprised at any of the Central Coast cities promoting any kind of meaningful growth. i think SLO County has a 2% cap on growth but will have to research that a little more.

Thanks for your information.
Is the Salinas River the one we used to innertube down thru Camp Roberts many years ago? Also from many years ago, I remember sitting by the creek in downtown SLO having lunch just a few hours after a rare heavy rain, watching all that water flowing steadily out to the ocean. Not being used for anything. Seemed like such a waste.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:58 AM

961 posts, read 2,566,765 times
Santa Cruz is starting to ration water.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Is the Salinas River the one we used to innertube down thru Camp Roberts many years ago? Also from many years ago, I remember sitting by the creek in downtown SLO having lunch just a few hours after a rare heavy rain, watching all that water flowing steadily out to the ocean. Not being used for anything. Seemed like such a waste.
Nacimiento River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Could have been the Nacimiento also.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:06 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times
Quote:
Is the Salinas River the one we used to innertube down thru Camp Roberts many years ago?
The Salinas River is the longest underground river in the US, you inner tubed the Nacimiento.

Also from many years ago, I remember sitting by the creek in downtown SLO having lunch just a few hours after a rare heavy rain, watching all that water flowing steadily out to the ocean. Not being used for anything. Seemed like such a waste.
Water reaching the ocean is a waste? How do you think the Ocean got all that water in it?

The water in SLO creek reaches the ocean, SLO Creek has steelhead runs.
The water in AG creek does not reach the ocean, not steelhead in the AG creek.

If creeks do not reach the ocean and deposit sediment, beaches disappear, worth thinking about.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
It's all a cycle. Every 25 years or so we get a drought.
Yes, runoff water could be better managed but there is a whole ecology based on brackish water, which is where the fresh meets salt water.

We could use some desalinization plants. There was plans for CA to build one in Baja Mexico.
Catalina Island has one, been working for some 30 years plus I understand.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 AM

268 posts, read 817,467 times
Arroyo Grande uses 99.5% of all it's water. They are just one step below shutting off all water use in landscapes. Not good.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:46 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Monterey County is working on desalination plants ...

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_11598150
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California