Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,625 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Me and my husband might be moving to California for a mechanical engineering job at Northrop Grumman at Edwards Air Force base. Can anyone tell me more about this company? How much do you work? How is the company culture? Their benefits? Or anything else that you might think its interesting. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Well,

Those are a lot of good questions. But normally HR is best suited to answer the specifics abouts benefits, etc... That will vary a lot depending on position and sector. You see NG is a huge company which really consists of a number of smaller companies (sectors) under one larger umbrella.

An example of this is when I started with NG right after they purchased TRW. Basically NG left TRW as is because the company was very successful - same management, same employees, same basic practices, different name. And as NG has grown and aquired more companies this has continued for the most part. However there is One NG initiative to centralize and standardize practices across all sectors. But this is a huge undertaking and takes time to change. So even things like vacation time and holidays still vary from one sector to the next.

I really like working for the company as a SW engineer. They have provided good benefits, compensation and the opportunites to work on a large variety of assignments. I was also able to live in three separate areas (Carson, Colorado Springs and now Monterey) while working for them.

The corporate culture is typical DoD really. I normally work in groups of ppl from 3-4 other contracting companies such Raytheon, Boeing, etc... But they do seem to take care of their employees and so you will have a lot of long timers (10-20+ years).

No company is perfect. But NG is one of the best I have worked for if not the best. Edwards AFB is in a beautiful part of the state as well. Jobs are hard to come by in that region of the central coast. So I think you guys will be fortunate if things work out.

I thought I had heard about a big reduction in staff at Edwards. But apparently they are still hiring for some positions.

Derek

Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 AM

Hi Derek,
Thank you for your answers. Northrop Grumman came to our college. They had interviews yesterday, and they interviewed my husband who graduated in December. They said that we might expect a call these days. If that happens, I agree, we will be very fortunate. Thank you so much.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Hi,
Me and my husband might be moving to California for a mechanical engineering job at Northrop Grumman at Edwards Air Force base.
Do you know what working at EAFB will be like? Are you familiar with the region, the housing options, the school systems in the vicinity, etc?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you know what working at EAFB will be like? Are you familiar with the region, the housing options, the school systems in the vicinity, etc?
No, we are not familiar. We figured if they offer us ( him ) a position, we will go out there and check it out before we agree to anything. When it comes to my college, I can do the rest of my classes online. We researched a little bit on housing, but not much yet. However, the school systems would be something important for us if we plan to have children later. If you have information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
No, we are not familiar. We figured if they offer us ( him ) a position, we will go out there and check it out before we agree to anything. When it comes to my college, I can do the rest of my classes online. We researched a little bit on housing, but not much yet. However, the school systems would be something important for us if we plan to have children later. If you have information, it would be greatly appreciated.

EAFB is in the Mojave desert. Very important: There are several informative threads on relocation to EAFB on the CA and maybe the LA City-Data forums. Tons of information. Suggest you work the search tool.

Northrop Grumman has tons and tons of jobs in Southern California; If you are working on Program A and it gets canceled you may be able to get on Program B. However, the NG sites are spread out all over the place and I don't know of too many near EAFB, maybe Palmdale airport as I think Boeing is there, maybe NG is there too. NG is huge in Redondo Beach (old TRW), Woodland Hills, Azusa, and several others. Different sectors though so eventhough it is Northrop Grumman the new job could be in a different sector and it is almost like applying and working for another company.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 PM

When my husband asked him where do usually engineers live if they work there, do they live in the Mojave city, because it is close to the map of where EAFB is, he said that most of them live in Palmdale, although some of them live in the Mojave. I guess maybe that is where that sector is?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
When my husband asked him where do usually engineers live if they work there, do they live in the Mojave city, because it is close to the map of where EAFB is, he said that most of them live in Palmdale, although some of them live in the Mojave. I guess maybe that is where that sector is?
Palmdale, Lancaster, Rosamond, Mojave, maybe Tehachapi.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Palmdale, Lancaster, Rosamond, Mojave, maybe Tehachapi.
The recruiter mentioned those sectors...How is the housing situation in those areas that you mentioned?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
The recruiter mentioned those sectors...How is the housing situation in those areas that you mentioned?
Check out these tools on a thread I created. Look at redfin for houses and the school performance maps.

Useful Househunting tools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California