Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 PM

23 posts, read 112,242 times

Advertisements

Just how much snow is there around Yreka in the winter? Is all wheel drive essential or will front wheel drive be adequate in Siskiyou County? I'm hoping to be up there by summer. Also, does anyone know if there are more apts. in summer? Looking through the local papers there isn't much to rent except a few houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 07:08 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
Snow... absolutely...about 20 inches a year average... but it also depends where you live... it can get heavy outside of town and going into Oregon (a couple of miles north).. it will also be VERY heavy in Mount Shasta.. a larger town, to the south.. it can also be VERY heavy in Ashland/Medford (major shopping ) in Oregon to the north, While the 5 freeway is a major route it gets closed by chp because of snow.. chains and 4 x 4 are required at times... BTW it also gets bloody hot in the summer

There are so many off road situations you might encounter there that a 4 x 4 would be a worthwhile, nearly necessary, investment... IIRC there is only one car dealer there.. its a ford dealer..

There aren't alot of apartments.. mostly smaller homes in town from my recollection,,,,it appears a nice very small town..almost un california like... 1 supermarket.. Raleys.. you can drive main street in 30 seconds
My wife was the operator for their 4th of July fireworks show,,, at that time we met the mayor and he talked up the town highly.. he also works on the chamber of commerce.. I would contact them (him) and get all the info you need. http://www.yrekachamber.com/

hope this helps

Old 04-13-2007, 10:47 AM

23 posts, read 112,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Snow... absolutely...about 20 inches a year average... but it also depends where you live... it can get heavy outside of town and going into Oregon (a couple of miles north).. it will also be VERY heavy in Mount Shasta.. a larger town, to the south.. it can also be VERY heavy in Ashland/Medford (major shopping ) in Oregon to the north, While the 5 freeway is a major route it gets closed by chp because of snow.. chains and 4 x 4 are required at times... BTW it also gets bloody hot in the summer

There are so many off road situations you might encounter there that a 4 x 4 would be a worthwhile, nearly necessary, investment... IIRC there is only one car dealer there.. its a ford dealer..

There aren't alot of apartments.. mostly smaller homes in town from my recollection,,,,it appears a nice very small town..almost un california like... 1 supermarket.. Raleys.. you can drive main street in 30 seconds
My wife was the operator for their 4th of July fireworks show,,, at that time we met the mayor and he talked up the town highly.. he also works on the chamber of commerce.. I would contact them (him) and get all the info you need. http://www.yrekachamber.com/

hope this helps
NotMeOfficer: You are a tremendous help! Looks like Siskiyou and Yreka in particular is for retired people or people with lots of cash. I have to be able to drive to work and make a living (which I choose to look at as a fortunate thing, rather than not). Thanks for responding.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,702 times
Quote:
NotMeOfficer: You are a tremendous help! Looks like Siskiyou and Yreka in particular is for retired people or people with lots of cash. I have to be able to drive to work and make a living (which I choose to look at as a fortunate thing, rather than not). Thanks for responding.
I have only been there a few times. I think most people there are blue collar and work locally or nearby. We looked into moving there because my DH could transfer to an area about 30 minutes away. Housing prices all over CA have followed the big cities and have gone up dramatically. But housing in some areas, especially rural, is starting to fall. What you see the houses advertised for, isn't what they might finally sell for. I think its a cute little town and in a great location. 25 miles to Ashland, OR (we love that place), and not too far from the town of Mt. Shasta, also a cute little town.

Enjoy your visit. There are alot of outdoor recreational activities within an hour of there.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 AM

60 posts, read 365,127 times
Default sex offenders

We love Yreka and have considered moving there, but why are there so many registered sex offenders living there? The ratio is scary. Is there a prison nearby where they are housed? When I've looked at other cities, even smaller ones, the ratio is in the thousands to one. Can anyone answer this, please?

Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 53,036 times
Yreka is a hick town, full of rednecks. Why else would you think there are so many sexual offenders here? I work here, I know. Hate to bust your bubble.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 73,461 times
Hey NOTMEOFFICER: It's been awhile since you've been here. (Yreka)Or you didn't look around. Mt Shasta City is actually smaller than Yreka by about 3000 +/- people. We have three grocery stores, and some wonderful new homes. A four wheel drive is not necessary, unless you want to travel over the pass into Oregon. Or go Snow sking. The snow on the roads actually only last a day or two at the most. There pretty good about keeping the main roads clear. I' never been unable to travel with my two wheel drive. As for rentals in the area, there arn't many. Income property would be a great investment. Now is probably The time to invest, the place is growing. The old timers around here better get used to it. because it is coming. any way Sorry for getting off the subject.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:58 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
Feankie...
thanks for the update... I dont get there often,,, usually pass on by.. I had a friend who was a deputy up in happy camp.. and we would go up and visit him because he was going buggy dealing with the Indians and loneliness ,, and he was young and full of **** and vinegar.. he eventually transferred down to Shatsa County for more life

I like some of the places on the river going out of town to the west... I just havent done enough exploring to make a qualified judgment about living there.. so again.. thanks for chiming in
I believe in being self sufficient and prepared.. and I personally wouldnt consider living anywhere rural without a four wheel drive.. especially when it does snow heavily closeby.. we know the five freeway does close and chains or 4 x 4 are required for winter travel in you are going north or south

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM

36 posts, read 284,028 times
hummmm? sounds interesting as to all these comments; both " negative" and " positive" and just in between . right no I am here in way too expensive, way too fast paced but not as bad as NY city; western connecticut/southbury. [ but loads of yuppie " career type" jobs if you've got that degree/experience and "office-politics" atttiude and enjoy stewing daily in traffic.]

I don't and in fact, am on SSDI and trying to get my home business on ebay going and so, being that I am transgender and seeking both a small town lifestyle and someplace reasonably affordable in a trans-friendly state; am considering rural northern california. oregon was a thought, but in CA , my SSDI/SSI checks would increase to $894[ more next year] , up from $643/mth here in CT where what our state's DSS gives you would hardly pay the rents on anything around here[ try $850 for an " efficiency apt" LOL $650 for 1 BR BUT that is WATERBURY (: " the hoods" ]

rednecks? are we talking south carolina types? [ one of nearly 40 states in USA that I , as a transgender woman , would never even think of . ] maybe paxton florida style? [ lived in orlando 13 years hated the city lifestyle and know florida's back roads and hick towns well ] southbuty CT seems to be mostly yuppie family people now, always in this fast paced " new york hurry"; but believe me, southbury still has it's " CT yankee rednecks", many in fact whom see me as " *****" which I am proudly[ the men seem worse- the working class townie women more accepting]

and being that the only place around here, much like CA it seems ; to find affordable rentals , is to go upstate new york toward chenango counties and west ; which, speak of REDNECKS ; "upstate" [ central and western] new york has plenty of them, no jobs at all; and about 180 days of SNOW with an avg. 8-9 feet a year!

but, like yreka area and outlying they've got plenty of trailers/small homes for rent on land and in parks, which, to me, sounds way better then being in some cramped " studio" apt. personally, I am learning that if you haven't got the money to do anything " nightlife wise" as in all this theatre stuff all over CT and especially down in NYC ; and you don't work steady except for having an online business; then why live in the suburbs or cities if that is where you find life most frustrating and lonely? in a way some of the stuff that the so-called " rednecks" believe in is true-at least in the ECONOMIC SENSE . [ yeah I'm a fan of gretchen wilson, dixie chicks, carrie underwood, and lynyrd skynyrd as well as of that ani di-franco, led zeppelin, and even marilyn manson. ]

difference seems to be the weather is hotter and dryer in summer, well maybe not hotter as in the east we've got hot , HUMID SUMMERS with mosquitoes galore! and, like upstate NY area, I would probably have to drive a ways to find an endocrinologist [ hormone MD ] , as all there seems to be online is in SF or portland OR. and , from what I see, ashland OR seems to have a decent GLBT community . I rarely go to malls to shop as I see all the trendy, high-femme fashion clothes at macy's,ann taylor loft, etc. as either " yuppie-uptight business/cocktail party" or "preppie-jock hippity-hop" , can deal with wal mart/K-mart being the only clothing shopper's big choice and that bike path they show in the photo of yreka looks real nice. connecticut sure is pretty , true, but when you can't enjoy it either in a car with those tailgaters on the busy " country" roads or on a bike because of the traffic volume due to all the new, $799,000 yuppie palaces being built all over the place; what's the sense?

been to redding many years ago in sept 1996 , but coming from florida on the greyhound and having no car nor valid license then [ suspended]; I could not get out and about the see the rest of northern california such as weaverville or yreka . but I was strongly considering it, as redding looked to me more like another orlando, filled with malls, fast foods , subdivisions and apartments[ but did seem to have friendlier people than here in the suburban "success-belt" northeast or orlando, fla. where many seem about what they do for work, civic activities, and who they know.]

I guess I'll have to get out there and just look around for myself ; meanwhile live someplace temporarily. besides craigslist, and the siskiyou daily news online, any ideas of where to find country rentals in the siskiyou county area?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:39 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
I stoped into Yreka just about a week ago. I don't know much about rentals there. I just wanted to say there I found the downtown area very nice with all those leaves changing color on the many trees there. I'm not sure if they are maple trees but they look like something similar.

We just made a quick stop to get gas,but it looked nice enough that I'd like to go back and explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California