Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,335 times

Advertisements

Since people are loosing their jobs left and right, loosing their homes, and people moving out of CA why are daycares still so expensive? When will the fess be less? I have two kids and for childcare pay $1600/mo. and I think those are good prices but not in this economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Since people are loosing their jobs left and right, loosing their homes, and people moving out of CA why are daycares still so expensive? When will the fess be less? I have two kids and for childcare pay $1600/mo. and I think those are good prices but not in this economy!
I doubt you will see much change unless they start losing a lot of business. Why would they drop prices, either mom and dad are both working and need child care of one is not working and it makes little difference how much it costs, they are not using it. Do I think the prices are crazy? Sure do, but don't look for a big drop. Do you expect the doctors, private schools, dentists and restaurants to start dropping prices?

Well restaurants maybe will offer most 2 for 1s, but otherwise many servises will keep their prices about the same, even the cost of stamps are going up.
Nitra

Old 03-01-2009, 01:03 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,335 times
Oh-man! You make sense, but one can wish!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Oh-man! You make sense, but one can wish!
Well I wish for you the prices would go down. I just can't believe what you are paying, it is almost highway robbery but I know you have to put your little ones in a place that you feel is safe and good for them..Our children are our most prized possessions. (my mind is blank, I don't think I spelled that right, but you know what I mean anyway.)

Nita

Old 03-01-2009, 03:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
My sister in-law runs a daycare from her home, the amount of money she charges is amazing and she has a waiting list of people wanting her to watch their children, if you like kids and want to make a lot of money it's a good buisness to be in.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Consider the costs to the daycare; have they gone down?

Has the rent or lease or mortgage of the daycare gone down? The salaries to the daycare's employees gone down? The utilities, supplies, and maintenance costs? Does the daycare need to purchase new technology (computers, musical instruments, etc.)?

So, if those haven't gone down, how can its prices come down?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:39 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,952 times
Have you actually tried shopping around? How about posting an ad on craigslist and seeing what type of offers you get. I know college students would probably be willing to take care of your kids for less than 1,600/month depending on the requirements. College students generally have the highest unemployment rates.

You are right that unemployment is high but a business isn't going to lower their prices until they absolutely have to.

Quote:
Has the rent or lease or mortgage of the daycare gone down? The salaries to the daycare's employees gone down? The utilities, supplies, and maintenance costs? Does the daycare need to purchase new technology (computers, musical instruments, etc.)?

It is all about competition. If the market says we need daycare and we are only paying 1,200 per month then the market will find a way to satisfy the demand. Competition will find a way to satisfy the demand. Maybe instead of leasing a building the babysitter will just come to your house, no need to lease a building or pay utilities. You can see what I mean. As for the primary day care, if they can't pay the bills then they go out of business.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM

421 posts, read 1,726,630 times
$1600 a month for two children is a steal. From my experience lower prices often mean substandard care.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:46 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,952 times
Quote:
From my experience lower prices often mean substandard care.
Yup, no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Consider the costs to the daycare; have they gone down?

you have a good point, I still think the prices are a bit out of line, but again, I don't know. Here is a situation that does blow my mind: our granddaughter pays $130.00 per week for one child in OKC> This is a mom and daughter who do it out of thier home and are licensed for 12 children, which they always are full. The daughter gets wick because she is low income (now remember how much they get per child) the mortgage is the same whether they have X number of children or are not even in business. Just this past week they infomred our granddaughter prices are going up to $150 a week. They are not raising them for the kids they have now, but all future kids will be $150 and if our granddaughter and hubby have another baby the price will be $150 per child..

They really would love to have another baby next year after granddaughter graduates from nursing school this summer. She got her BS a few years ago but decided to return to get a nursing degree..He plans to go back to school full time in the fall. If they have a second child between child care and student loans they will never have a penny. THis is not the fault of the child care gals but with the cost of child care they are thinking about not even having a second child...

Something is wrong here..child care giver on WICK, probably making about $600 per week clear (no taxes) and the working mom and dad can barely make ends meet.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California