Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:07 PM

93 posts, read 317,887 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chowchilla at the end of the month. I considered moving to one of the larger cities in the area, but renting from a distance, I just had no way to find out enough about about the different parts of those cities to know what would be safe and comfortable for me. I know a few people in Chowchilla and had been through the town when I was out there over the holidays. It's small, but that made it easier to figure out where I should rent. I grew up in a small town, and I love hot weather, so I think it'll be fine for me. I'm hoping to move to the foothills at some point, but it was impossible to sort that out from the east coast. So Chowchilla it is for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I remember that a school bus filled with 26 children was kidnapped from Chowchilla and buried in 1975 or 1976. I think they were buried in an adjacent town, if I remember correctly. I believe the kids and the bus driver were able to dig themselves out and were rescued. It was on national news way back then. For some reason, I've always remembered this incident.
So, what you are saying is that Chowchilla is not exactly kid-friendly??

Unfortunately it is another valley town with as said above poor air quailty and a screaming hot summer with high humidity from farm irrigation.

I would second the advice that if you have to work there try to live maybe in the foothills around Mariposa.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
So, what you are saying is that Chowchilla is not exactly kid-friendly??

Unfortunately it is another valley town with as said above poor air quailty and a screaming hot summer with high humidity from farm irrigation.

I would second the advice that if you have to work there try to live maybe in the foothills around Mariposa.
No, I don't know anything about Chowchilla. I just read this and had a flashback!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicurious View Post
My husband is a farmer, and we hear that is an excellent farming area.
It truly is one of the best farming areas in the world. If you're coming from an ag/farming background, you will find MUCH to like about the area.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Sorry to answer: "Is Chowchilla . . a nice area?" - not really
It's known mainly as an place where old people go to die. Seriously, lots of retirement homes.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,146 times
Let me describe Chowchilla this way.

One of the biggest events in town is the Western Stampede. It is a 5 day roping and barrel riding competition.

The start of the Stampede is a cattle drive right though the center of downtown Chowchilla.

In other words it is still a true farming town.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
I like Merced, myself. In fact, that's where I was living when my first husband just HAD to move to Texas, I wish I could go back. But Fresno does have its nice areas.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:03 PM

198 posts, read 653,776 times
Chowchilla is cow/wine country... nothing to do there... at all.. being close to Merced says nothing.. Merced is garbage... Fresno is 30 minutes away but really doesnt impress anybody from a large city.. Do everything you can to NOT move there.. the area is known as the arm pit of California... kind of drags you down with it.. if your not a rich farmer or farmers kid...

Last edited by Lyrsc; 03-24-2009 at 12:15 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,208 times
Chowchilla is fine, however the police department is typical small town bullies with tunnel vision.

There are good schools and mostly good people. I would avoid the golfcourse community. The clubhouse/restraunt is far from a "country club" atmosphere. More like a beautifully painted "diner".

Many Dairies. Great property values in the country. I would but here now. We purchased 11 years ago in the gated community of Greenhills and will never, ever, make up the loss of the housing decline.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:25 PM

93 posts, read 317,887 times
Well, here's a little followup from my previous post!

So I've been living in Chowchilla for a little over a month now, as I completed my cross-country move on the last day of March and got settled into a little rental house and my new job during April. All is going well! I've been visiting Yosemite regularly, just as I'd hoped, and the sun and the hot weather have been absolutely incredible. I've been out some evenings looking at an incredible sunset, and on many days I can see the snow-covered Sierras. I've found nice places to bike and run, and I'm starting to feel that optimism that comes with living in the sunshine. I like my job, I like my house, my animal companions are happy, and I'm doing things I've always wanted to do.

Sure, Chowchilla may leave some things to be desired as far as ambiance go--I'm not a big fan of some of my animal-abusing neighbors and the (what seem to me to be) ridiculously wasteful lifestyles and whacked priorities that a lot of people here are living, but that's a difference that I find most places, so it's not all that difficult for me to cope with. I've met some people who are like me, too, and my coworkers are great.

Given where I've been and where I am now and the simple life I prefer, I have all my heart's desires. I made it to California! I've visited Merced and Fresno, and I have to say that I feel more content in Chowchilla, where it's small and not so busy and full of traffic. I'm a small-town girl, though, so others may prefer the hustle and bustle.

I'm growing a couple of fruit trees on my back patio and thinking about training up for a local half-marathon. Simple pleasures. Life is good for me in Chowchilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California