Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 11,695 times

Advertisements

We are renting a home and we found out via a call from a realtor, that home is in foreclosure. Feeling the pressure, we looked at a new rental found on craigslist, and decided to rent. Met property owner at home, she had a lease which we discussed. We paid deposit of $4000; last months rent $2500, $1500 deposit, and total amount was called a security deposit. She said husband had to sign lease and we would get a copy when we had final walk through and we were given keys.

Property owner not only continued to list home on craiglist, but also listed it for more money $2650 per month]

One week before we were to take possession, we changed our mind. Property owner said okay and that she would return security deposit. Now after she has not been able to rent for 3 weeks she wants to return only 1/2 the security deposit.

We never received an executed copy of lease, never had final walk through, and never took possession of home. Is she entitled to keep any of the security deposit?

Last edited by tanyah53; 04-15-2009 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: html shown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
Likely not, you should contact an attorney to discuss all of your options.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Did you sign the lease? If so... she may be entitled to keep part of it.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyah53 View Post
One week before we were to take possession, we changed our mind. Property owner said okay and that she would return security deposit. Now after she has not been able to rent for 3 weeks she wants to return only 1/2 the security deposit.
That sounds kind of "scammy" to me. One big concern: do you know for a fact that the "property owner" actually owns the property?

I guess you don't need me to tell you that you were very sloppy in your business arrangement. You didn't state whether you paid by check or cash. If you paid cash that would be worse. If you paid cash and didn't get a receipt then you might as well kiss your money goodbye. (Nobody could be that stupid. However, it happens all the time if TV "judge" programs are any indication.)

As already stated, you need to discuss this with an attorney.

Of course I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of California law is that it is a legal requirement that you should be furnished with a copy of the agreement.

Good luck, but I fear that you're going to need more than good luck to get a refund.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,695 times
We are not that stupid! Yes they are the property owners, we have checked. The property is husband's family home they have been renting since parents died. Paid by check, and have had no trouble keeping in contact property owners and they have offered to return $2000. My question is; if we never received an executed copy of the lease is it really executed?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I think you have your answer, yes, if you signed it, that's it. Right now, more than taking our word for it, contact an lawyer...

Nita

Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyah53 View Post
We are renting a home and we found out via a call from a realtor, that home is in foreclosure. Feeling the pressure, we looked at a new rental found on craigslist, and decided to rent. Met property owner at home, she had a lease which we discussed. We paid deposit of $4000; last months rent $2500, $1500 deposit, and total amount was called a security deposit. She said husband had to sign lease and we would get a copy when we had final walk through and we were given keys.

Property owner not only continued to list home on craiglist, but also listed it for more money $2650 per month]

We never received an executed copy of lease, never had final walk through, and never took possession of home. Is she entitled to keep any of the security deposit?
DING < DING, DING . Da! do you think you got scamed ??? why do people keep on renting homes on cregs list when so many scamers are using that site . what kind of an apartment was it for $2650.00????

Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,068 times
Just because you didn't receive a copy of the lease doesn't make the lease invalid.
Contact the local housing authority and explain the situation; they should be able to give you the answer.
IMO, if she is only keeping 1/2 the deposit, then you are lucky. She should be able to keep all of it since you backed out 1 week before taking possession.

BTW, even after I have money and a signed lease I keep my advertising in place because people do back out before moving in. I like to have back up tenants, this is not unusual.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Just because you didn't receive a copy of the lease doesn't make the lease invalid.
I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that the above is correct. It might be some sort of procedural error to not give you a copy of the lease, but I'm pretty sure that if you signed it you're stuck with it. Even worse, because you don't have a copy you don't even know what you're stuck with.

BTW I'm sorry if it seemed that I was implying that you (OP) are stupid, which was not my intent. However, it's plain to see that you've been very careless in your business dealings, and it's likely to be an expensive lesson. I think you will be doing well to get the $2,000 part back.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
1. File a Lawsuit in Small claims court. Don't waste any time. Make sure you have a copy of the listing, the times it was advertised. Also, make sure you have a copy of the check verifying it was paid. A lawsuit might motivate them to resolve this with you.
2. Consult with your local housing authority. They should be able to give you some advice over the phone.

Since you signed on the dotted line this is a problem but not a big issue. Do you have a copy of what unsigned version of the document? When was the anticipated move in date? How much notice did you give them after you signed and before it was time to move in that you no longer wanted to move in?

Security deposits are to be used in lieu of collecting unpaid rent and damages. Deposits are not meant to be held for any other reason. Since you never got a copy of the final version you and the other party were not of like minds and you should make this statement at your hearing. You don't know if everything changed except for your signature section. You can go over how you tried calling the owner for a copy and your wishes to cancel the agreement because you no longer felt very comfortable. According to you, the deposit was suppose to be for $1500, if the owner is willing to give you half of that GREAT but if not I'd take them to court. The last month's rent ($2500) they should absolutley give back to you as you never occupied the unit.

Do you know if the place has been rented out? The judge might find that the owners could not rent it out or had to put it back on the market and your notice didn't give the owner enough time to find a new tenant. So they might make you pay a reasonable rental amount which is equal to one month of rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California