Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:20 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times

Advertisements

I am starting to do some research on my relocation to California next year. I have searched around online but could not really find what I needed.

I am looking for reccomendations as to where to live, I am familiar with the LA and San Diego area, but other than that I am clueless.

I am looking for a smaller town, nothing like LA but closer to Santa Barbara or smaller. I am looking for a laid back place. I work in the hospitality business, so it at least to have some hotels there.

I would like to live within 30 minutes of the beach. I am looking to spend around $1000 a month for rent for a condo/house, from what I found on craigslist that seems easily doable in this economy.

A few towns I was considering were Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Ventua, Oxnard, Santa Cruz, and Oceanside, but obviously I am open to suggestions.

Thanks Guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 04:47 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Given the job situation I'd go to where I could find a job (located in cities that meet your general parameters, I mean). Any of those places would be fine, although some are more expensive than others. Around Oceanside there is also Carlsbad, Encinitas, etc. In southern OC there's San Clemente. That may also be of interest.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:25 PM

I am looking at transfering right now, but obviously different positions will be open around when I want to move, so I guess I just have to wait.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:51 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I am starting to do some research on my relocation to California next year. I have searched around online but could not really find what I needed.

I am looking for reccomendations as to where to live, I am familiar with the LA and San Diego area, but other than that I am clueless.

I am looking for a smaller town, nothing like LA but closer to Santa Barbara or smaller. I am looking for a laid back place. I work in the hospitality business, so it at least to have some hotels there.

I would like to live within 30 minutes of the beach. I am looking to spend around $1000 a month for rent for a condo/house, from what I found on craigslist that seems easily doable in this economy.

A few towns I was considering were Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Ventua, Oxnard, Santa Cruz, and Oceanside, but obviously I am open to suggestions.

Thanks Guys!
I am in Santa Cruz county.
I love it.
It's a wonderful combination of "mountains" (more like hills if you're used to the Sierra or Rockies), ocean, redwoods but enough of a city vibe in Santa Cruz to suit me.
The air is clean.
It's a very tolerant and diverse community but there are plenty of "regular" folks too.
Consider the entire county ... Aptos and Soquel and Capitola are great communities and a bit less crazy. Aptos and Soquel are particularly mellow relative to S.C. and parts of Capitola.
S.F. is less than 1 1/2 hours to the north and Monterey is just down the road ... less than an hour to the south. ( potentially longer during morning and evening commute depending on which direction you're headed).
Rentals are expensive here although prices have dropped just a bit and there's a bit more availability as well (compared to last summer anyway).
I pay more for rent that i'd like but it's worth it. I just cut back on other expenses.
Check out Craigslist (S.F. Bay area > Santa Cruz).
There are many places in Watsonville (also part of S.C. county) that are much less expensive but many parts that you might not want to reside in.
Winter brings the rain but with plenty of beautiful stretches of sunny and relatively warm days.
Summer is warm (no rain) but never super hot. The closer to the ocean the cooler and in late spring/ summer/early fall the fog rolls in and out but it's wonderful ... great for the skin and hair and just lovely.
The Monterey / Carmel area might suit you as well. There may be more work in your field than here in S.C. county.
Capitola is a hopping little tourist beach town and S.C. is a place to go especially in the summer but there are more high end hotels, etc. in the Monterey / Carmel communities.
Think Pebble Beach.
Big Sur (heaven) is just a bit to the south. There are some incredibly nice places there in your line of work as well as mid and "low" level accommodations
In my opinion central and northern CA are much preferable but i'm not a lover of SO. CA.
Good luck.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 PM

13 posts, read 42,895 times
I live in San Diego. There are a ton of moderate and upscale hotels here (I heard that up to a third of our population leaves when tourist season is over). That being said, there does appear to be a slowdown in their occupancy now (as with everywhere). If you do choose SD, do not move to Oceanside; it is just way too high crime. There are a ton of other cities in the county that are beautiful, and a lot safer.

Totally agree with the poster who recommended Monterey / Carmel. It is super gorgeous, very artistic resident population, and, of course, a ton of tourists, so there is a thriving hospitality industry. Only thing to know is that, it being so close to the water and farther north than So. Calif., the weather is cooler in all seasons, and the summer fog is slow to burn off, and quick to come in. If you thrive in sunshine, you may want to live inland a little bit more (true of most California beach towns).

Good luck! I think you will love it here. The people, the weather and the natural beauty are all the best!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the tips, I am researching these areas now. The Big Sur area sounds wonderful. I am a beach bum, i plan on spending most of my days off sitting on the beach.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 PM

7 posts, read 19,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post

Thanks Guys!

You should look into Santa Maria. its located between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, its 15 mins. from pismo beach, and the weather is good all year long. Look into it.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
[quote=KarmaPhx;8755813]Thanks for the tips, I am researching these areas now. The Big Sur area sounds wonderful. I am a beach bum, i plan on spending most of my days off sitting on the beach.[/QUOTE]

Memo to the FTB: Find a way to tax it!

That aside, I'd strongly suggest you find the job and, hopefully, the place will fall in line. These are not good times in the employment market.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
There are plenty of great places to check out, but the best advice anyone can give you is to come out, rent a car and start touring.
You can leave out Oceanside, btw. Just thought I'd save you a little on gas money there.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,619 times
Check out Stockton. The home prices are positively cheep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California