Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:02 PM

341 posts, read 689,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
You've got it right... I don't know anyone, even living withing a block or two that isn't chauffeured to school.

Parents that walked to same school as a child now drop their kids off in the morning on the way to work and a Grandparent is there to pick them up

I know they say it isn't safe... just look at the things that happened to children in the 50's and 60's and 70's... each generation feels unique... I guess.

An offshoot to this is everyone with kids has an SUV or Mini Van... I know it's not everyone... but looking at the school lot it seems that way...

Mom drove on a couple of field trips as did other parents... we all did in High School with a car load of our fellow classmates... I can still remember piling 10 or 12 from the baseball team into the back of the station wagon or coach's truck... Now that would be child endangerment...

Everything has a cost... and that's why.
When my kids were in high school they were just mortified that I wouldn't take them to school when there was bus service (10miles) They said nobody rides the bus and they would be made fun of it they did. I said if there's no one riding the bus then who's going to see you. They seemed to find rides 99% of the time. I couldn't believe when I saw the student parking lot. These kids were driving cars I still only dream of having. We were really abusive, our kids had to be able to pay for half of a used car and cover the extra insurance cost. They all three were working by the time they were 16. No cell phones till they could pay for them. Me thinks that some kids think that parents owe them this stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,547,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
Maybe if the jobs dried up and they couldn't recieve any aid they would pack up and leave and not cost us a dime. Sounds almost too simple. If I couldn't get a job and they would not enroll my kids in school and I couldn't get health care because I couldn't show citizenship I might think I had it better off in my own country
I think that would have a huge impact, but I doubt it would eliminate it altogether. You'd have to think that there will always be employers paying people under the table to avoid paying taxes - which means continued opportunities for illegals. And even that small opportunity is going to attract a large number of illegals, since the opportunities back home are basically non-existent.

And for this to happen, the voters would have to pass a proposition that penalizes businesses and forces them to take on additional operating costs and risk - something that was shot down here in Colorado a few years back, surprisingly.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,394,059 times
California's problems, in my mind, stem from the fact that it has bifurcated into a land of haves and have-nots. It has become too hard to do business there and its once large and healthy middle class seems to be fading.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,547,380 times
Quote:
When my kids were in high school they were just mortified that I wouldn't take them to school when there was bus service (10miles) They said nobody rides the bus and they would be made fun of it they did. I said if there's no one riding the bus then who's going to see you. They seemed to find rides 99% of the time. I couldn't believe when I saw the student parking lot. These kids were driving cars I still only dream of having. We were really abusive, our kids had to be able to pay for half of a used car and cover the extra insurance cost. They all three were working by the time they were 16. No cell phones till they could pay for them. Me thinks that some kids think that parents owe them this stuff!
That's how I grew up and how I plan on raising our kids. We'll see if that's how it works out though. I'm finding that it's tough balancing between giving them a better life than what you had yourself and also teaching them to value the simple things they might take for granted. I'm hoping we can get it right.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I think that would have a huge impact, but I doubt it would eliminate it altogether. You'd have to think that there will always be employers paying people under the table to avoid paying taxes - which means continued opportunities for illegals. And even that small opportunity is going to attract a large number of illegals, since the opportunities back home are basically non-existent.

And for this to happen, the voters would have to pass a proposition that penalizes businesses and forces them to take on additional operating costs and risk - something that was shot down here in Colorado a few years back, surprisingly.
I have hope after this last election that the voters may be ready for a proposition that penalizes the businessess. You know say you will lose police, firefighters and schools if you don't vote for it. Since apparently that's all we have to cut, or so they tell us

Old 05-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
That's how I grew up and how I plan on raising our kids. We'll see if that's how it works out though. I'm finding that it's tough balancing between giving them a better life than what you had yourself and also teaching them to value the simple things they might take for granted. I'm hoping we can get it right.
Good luck, they have a clever way of playing you. Just remember material things do not make a better life. We were called cheap by our kids many time. They are in their mid 20's and all are self sufficient and earning good livings. One had a house with roomates when she moved out the first time a roomate left a light on she put a post a note on the switch "25 cents if left on" (a policy from their youth) They are all good savers and somewhat frugal in their lifestyle, which has proved helpful in this economy. I wish you the best in raising your kids and enjoy the journey

Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
Quote:
I have hope after this last election that the voters may be ready for a proposition that penalizes the businessess. You know say you will lose police, firefighters and schools if you don't vote for it. Since apparently that's all we have to cut, or so they tell us
I work with several contractors on a regular basis... none would hire an illegal... it's just too much liability, especially if they are injured on the job.

It's completely different with Homeowners... Go to any Home Depot or Lowes on a Weekend and you will see Home owner's picking up day laborers...

Old 05-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Saw an article from the OC register dated 5/20/09

"currently, economic conditions are resulting in massivelosses for all investments, with calPERS losing 28% of its value. No big deal to calPERS-taxpayers must pick up the slack and make good on the unsustainable pension benefits promised by politicians who curry favor with unions.
In Orange County public safety officials can retire at age 50 with 90% or more of their final year's pay guaranteed by taxpayers. Other employees can retire with 81% of their final year's pay at age 55 after 30 years of work. By contrast, private-sector employees are given a particular contribution by their employer, and the pay-out depends on the performance of each employee's investments. with degined-benefit plans, union-dominated retirement systems have every reason to maximize risk.
If the investments do well, then the employee's benefit, If they don't, it's the taxpayers problem."
Many have incomes of $200,000 or more
former Vernon official Bruce Malkenhorst Sr. earns almost $500,000.
The average benefit is only 16,000, but that reflects the large number of employees who only worked for the government for a short time.
Thousands of public workers earn more than $100,000 a year in retirement and most workers receive cadillac-style health benefits.
Also, from the OC Register "One million state workers and family members have special license plates that allow them to evade road tolls, parking fees, and often speeding tickets and even DUIs"

Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
we are not done. we still have our most powerful tool, denial.
btw as to curtailing spending, have you ever seen one of our women throw a tantrum?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-29-2009 at 05:09 PM..

Old 02-27-2010, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 12,002 times
If the behavior from our 'leaders' that got us here does not change and change soon we are indeed done IMHO.

I don't know what it will take for this to happen, protest, voting the right people in/out, or a full on revolt.

Matters not to me. I am what some on this thread would call a 'runner'. Whatever. I am not native. I could not care less. This once awesome place to live has become probably one of the hardest places to make it in, to raise a family in and forget about buying a house. Unless of course you simply enjoy throwing your money away. Speculators can kindly remain silent.

I'm taking my California salary and going home. Working remotely from the place I was born/raised.

It's a great day to be me!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California