Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 AM

8 posts, read 15,017 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum. Nowadays I am much interested in the solar energy in California area. Could anyone who has installed the solar panels at home sharing some information about the experience on the installing?

And which company could I count on to install that?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 AM

Smile Why there is no place for renewable energy only?

I think I have read through the whole forum,but I did not find the section for renewable energy only.

Maybe I did not find it here. Who can show me for I am more interested in the solar energy in US, and I want to know more about the energy in US.

Thanks so much.

Best wishes.

Helen

Last edited by 2goldens; 05-30-2009 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics

Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Where in California? I live on the coast and Solar is not something that you would want to invest in for your property. We have too much fog and cloud cover during the year. Hear on the coast in June we have what is called June gloom. California is a big state though, so it just depends where you want to put up the panels.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:37 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
There are basically three kinds of applications for solar energy:

-Passive solar architecture for heating your home with sunshine.
-Solar hot water heaters
-Photovoltaic panels for generating electricity

Solar hot water heaters are generally the most cost-effective application for someone making a first foray into the world of solar. They are relatively affordable and have the shortest payback schedule.
The economic justification for PV is more complex. Part of the decision will come down to what rebates and incentives are available to you locally and what kind of net metering terms you can get from your utility. Contrary to what many people think, PV electricity is generated from photons, not solar heat. If there is enough light for you to see, your PV panels will generate electricity even if not a full capacity (often at about 50% efficiency in coastal fog). While clear days offer the best generating capacity in theory, PV panel efficiency drops when the panels get hot, so full sun is a mixed blessing.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:45 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
V=IR.

R=f(T).

Old 05-22-2009, 02:50 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
don't have it but a few friends installed panels for electricity, it's costly and will take many years to benifit from so it's only for someone planning to live in their house for many years. At the time my friends paid around 20 thousand dollars and did the install themselves but at that time there was a large government rebate and I think they said their cost after the rebate was only arounf 7 thousand dollars, the bad news is that rebate is not available any longer but you never know Obama may bring it back.
both of them still pay around 1200 to 1800 dollars a year for electricity but they both have large houses with dual air units. Pg&E has also altered their contracts on the electricity you do not use, it was 1.5 times return but i think they may have dropped that also.
best i can give you.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times
We have solar panels on our home. They were installed by a company called SunPower, I believe. They were installed when our home was being built, so I wasn't there for the day-to-day of the installation process. We have an inset (meaning they are set into the roofing tile as opposed to hovering on top of them) group of panels on a south-facing roof and a converter in the garage.

Our energy prices are insanely low, thanks to these panels. Well worth it, IMO. And the tax rebate was great, too.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:29 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
The federal solar tax credit 30% of the cost of the system Department of Energy - Tax Breaks. Until 2008 there was a $2000 cap but not anymore. Your power company, county and state may have additional rebates.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:09 AM

Smile Thanks so much !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
We have solar panels on our home. They were installed by a company called SunPower, I believe. They were installed when our home was being built, so I wasn't there for the day-to-day of the installation process. We have an inset (meaning they are set into the roofing tile as opposed to hovering on top of them) group of panels on a south-facing roof and a converter in the garage.

Our energy prices are insanely low, thanks to these panels. Well worth it, IMO. And the tax rebate was great, too.
Thanks so much for your reply. I do know Sunpower. But the panels from Sunpower seem not only too expensive but also hard to buy which is told to me by some of my friends.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:26 AM

44 posts, read 154,835 times
We should all be able to have that option anymore. Sure, it may be more expensive to build, but it surer would be worth it in the end. My brother and sister-in-law has a huge solar powered house and their power bill is only about 30.00 month, even with all the stuff they have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California