Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:29 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi guys! I've been hearing all the bad news coming out of CA and had to ask: What the hell happened?

When I was a kid (80s and 90s) California always seemed like this awesome place full of opportunity, prosperity and good weather. But now I hear all about social problems, budget crises and rising unemployment. How did California get into this mess? Is it even really that bad?

I've never been to California, but it always intrigued me and I'd really like to go someday. I look forward to any responses,

mackinac
Fundamentally, California has gotten lazy and corrput.

The following newsweek article gives a good overview of how the current problems have been building for decades. I think the author is too soft on illegal immigration, but otherwise gets it right:

Understanding California's Crisis | Newsweek Business | Newsweek.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 02:45 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,477,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Growing up in the 70's I had the "California Dreamin" spirit. After visiting many times since it is still my favorite state. The coast drive is awesome, as well as Napa and southern California. I have been shocked and discouraged recently not by all of the financial woes there but by the Prop 8 vote. I am not Gay but California can do much better! Man, that was horrible! Anyway I will always have fond memories of your state and we are all hoping that Prop 8 thing is overturned soon!
Not knocking what you're saying at all, but I really find it interesting how much heat CA is taking by the court of public opinion since Prop 8 passed. I think it sucks that it passed, but 5 years ago there wasn't even ONE state that allowed same-sex marriage until after Gavin Newsom did his little stunt and handed out marriage licenses. And then CA ended up being only the second state after MA to allow it (although temporarily), so it was a pioneer in this whole issue.

What's strange to me is that now CA seems to be getting shunned as though its archaic in this respect when seemingly 15 minutes ago it was taking all sorts of negative criticism for helping to lead the charge on this same issue. I mean I think it isn't right that one day it allowed equal rights and then the next it took them back, but the attitude I seem to keep coming across is CA should get with the times and it is somehow an oddball for upholding the same laws that currently exist in 46 other states. I'd like to see Prop 8 overturned at this point, but the critics will always find a way to bash CA one way or another.

I'm not saying you're doing any of this as I agree with what you had to say, I'm just making an observation in regards to this issue.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:04 PM

226 posts, read 894,073 times
I would have to write a book. California is a beautiful place except for the central valley and desert area, IMO, but it was having problems already and the recent economic downturn made it worse. A beautiful place no doubt but the politicians and green environmental people make bad policy and spend into debt and ask the Californians for more to spend.

California was skinny dipping and the water receded so now the problems are more evident than ever.

The economy has been in a downturn for years, the housing boom was just a bubble and it was a crutch and false sense of prosperity while it lasted before it popped.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:16 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,965 times
Some of our leadership is still out of touch.

In today's LA Times there is an article about Assembly Speaker Karen Bass (Dem-Los Angeles).

One of her quotes just really struck me wrong:
"Now, she said, voters "are coming after us with 'Why don't you get rid of your cars, why don't you do this, why don't you do that?. . . . What the members of my caucus feel, and frankly I agree, is that we're never going to be able to give up enough.""
California speakership isn't the prize it once was - Los Angeles Times

People are losing their jobs, cars, and homes and the Democratic Caucus feels they are never going to be able to give up enough of what they get?!?

They need to feel some of the same pain a lot of others feel in order to realize change is needed. Change like cutting the budget like regular people are having to do at home.

Maybe they need to lose THEIR jobs to understand?

Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
What's strange to me is that now CA seems to be getting shunned as though its archaic in this respect when seemingly 15 minutes ago it was taking all sorts of negative criticism for helping to lead the charge on this same issue. I mean I think it isn't right that one day it allowed equal rights and then the next it took them back, but the attitude I seem to keep coming across is CA should get with the times and it is somehow an oddball for upholding the same laws that currently exist in 46 other states. I'd like to see Prop 8 overturned at this point, but the critics will always find a way to bash CA one way or another.
Yes, good point. CA is still ahead of the curve on the gay marriage issue. And it is my understanding that whether you call it marriage or "domestic partnership" the applicable CA laws are almost completely or entirely the same either way (Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Old 05-30-2009, 03:37 PM

5 posts, read 13,635 times
California is hurting like the rest of the U.S.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:28 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,033 times
mysticaltyger, how it has been explained to me is that domestic partnership and marriage don't give you the same rights. When you are married if your spouse is on his or her death bed you can visit them in the hospital and or make decisions for them and that is not the case in a domestic partnership. I think the other differences would be social security payments if a spouse dies and who gets the property. Even if the property is left to the domestic partner the next of kin who may also be a brother or sister can claim the property of the person that has died and not the domestic partner. There are other issues but I think those were the main points.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:34 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Some of our leadership is still out of touch.

In today's LA Times there is an article about Assembly Speaker Karen Bass (Dem-Los Angeles).

One of her quotes just really struck me wrong:
"Now, she said, voters "are coming after us with 'Why don't you get rid of your cars, why don't you do this, why don't you do that?. . . . What the members of my caucus feel, and frankly I agree, is that we're never going to be able to give up enough.""
California speakership isn't the prize it once was - Los Angeles Times
I'm a Democrat and find Bass to be an embarrassment. Her whole reign as Assembly Speaker has been a fiasco because she's a twit. How did she get that position? It would be like the GOP giving the U.S. House minority whip job to Heather Wilson, who is only slightly less loony than Michele Bachmann. Or the RNC head job to Michael Steele. Oops, they did give the RNC post ot Steele!

At least Bass isn't Fabian Nunez. Check this article out for some info on THAT.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Too much the land of opportunity, the land of the Beach boys and girls and the land of anything goes, eventually everything that comes around goes around. The charm is gone for many, the state is filled with crime, corruption, lazy people who think the term "laid back" means take from the government, smoke Pot, go surfing, hang out and live on berries and booze. I know I am probably over-doing it, but the once awesome place to live is gone for the time being. You still read about he hord of people, mostly kids in their 20s that think they can goes to California, make it big or can just lay back and enjoy the good life. I do think, eventully things will swing back and i do not think all of California has gone by the wasteside, I just think the entire state needs to wake up to realitiy.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 12:16 AM

14 posts, read 38,281 times
too many people in too quick of a time period... and those "too many people" choose not to assimilate by learning to read, write, speak the majority language. "Too many people" are bearing "anchor babies" and then relying on the government to supplement their health care costs/education costs/housing. "Too many people" and the hands that control the education system take valuable instruction time away from documented citizens to teach the majority language to an anchor baby who in-turn becomes the family translator. "Too many people" are rearing teens who turn to the streets for their identity. These teens become adults who perpetuate crime in their communities, over-extend our jails and county services and leave babies at home while the "baby's daddy" does time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California