Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 13,877 times

Advertisements

Hey, Im going to be moving up to Humboldt county for school and was wondering as to the best place for myself to live; which city and neighborhood?

Here's my info and desires:

--I will be attending College of the Redwoods and would like to have an easy commute; by bike or car.

--I dont have much money. ($500/month, for rent and utilities)

--I'm 21 yrs old and not an outrageous partier.

--Need to be able to get away from crowds, people and responsibility.

--Want to have a veg garden w/ a couple 215 plants.

--Would like to continue drumming, so I need to be able to be loud.

--I am an outsider artist and would like to support myself some day with my painting, drawing, music or whatever.
Portfolio = ]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

--Would like to have easy access to groceries and Pharmacies.

--Im also not big on getting stabbed by meth-heads. But keep in mind I've lived in San Fran in the mission district.

Last edited by Kurtsea; 05-28-2009 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Have you been to CR? If you have,you know it's not set up for a good bike commute;you'll be on the freeway. Better plan on driving. It sounds like you need a place in the country. If you have good credit or your parents can cosign for you you can find something through a rental agency maybe in Loleta (not much there) or Fortuna. The real amenities are in Eureka and Arcata. Plan to spend some time looking and you'll find something.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
Just stumbled on this thread.

I can't offer tips - not knowing the urban layout there.

Can help with your album though - you added an extra bracket on the right side of the URL - try this:

Photos of Projects by Kurtsea

Cheers.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:22 PM

thanks eureka1, I've never been to the school but knowing its the commuter type is actually really helpful; I'm taking a trip up soon. I just found out through financial aid that I could recieve the money to pay my tuition so Im kinda rushing this move.
---------------------------------------------
and mdvaden, gratsi as well.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 PM

Does eureka seem dangerous? after living there yourself. Do you feel comfortable walking around at night everywhere, or are some places too creepy?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:58 PM

19 posts, read 85,419 times
Default former Eurekan

Kurtsea, having lived in Eureka for 17 years previously I can tell you it is pretty small. The population within the city limits is probably not even 50.000 people. I graduated from CR in 2000 from the nursing school there. My kids (adults) and grand-daughter still live there. Probably best to not walk at night through the "projects" the area down around Winco.
CR is a pretty campus but quite a distance from Eureka, about 15-20 minutes by car depending on where you live so biking isn't an option especially since it is located off Hwy 101. Loleta is probably closer and maybe less expensive or Ferndale or Fortuna. Cutten is a bit nicer and bit more inland, not sure about rents anymore though. Try checking with Professional Property management I think it is located on or around 6th or 7th and E street.
You do get a fair amount of rain there too so be prepared for that and fog! As far as your planting plans, good luck. You should check out the old town area too.
Good luck!

Old 05-30-2009, 11:58 AM

Previous poster is right on,there are good and bad areas. But even in Cutten, where I live,we are locking our doors now where we didn't used to because there have been drug murders (marijuana-related) within a mile or two. On you way into Eureka,on the left, PAST the big mall,you will find a Chamber of Commerce welcome center that will have lots of free maps. Get one and DM me when you get here. I'll buy you coffee and redline the "no-go" zones for you.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:02 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
I'm following the Eureka stuff, simply because it's on my list to drive to again next time or two into the redwoods. I get to the redwoods about every 6 weeks on average it seems.

You know what I liked about Eureka? Petty thing ... but it has a Winco store. I love shopping at Wincos. Not just the prices, but the wide isles and room to get around. That's the first place I went to last November on my way to Rockefeller Forest, to stock up my cooler with steaks, ice, juice, bacon, cheeses, etc..

All in all, the town had a nice feel to it. One stretch of highway had some gorgeous old Eucalyptus. Pretty sure that was Eureka.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Old 05-31-2009, 04:10 PM

That's the stretch of road between Eureka and Arcata. Caltrans is trying to cut those trees down.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Eureka, like any city, anywhere has some bad areas but it is basically safe and a good place for someone who wants the slower paced life with lots of liberal influence.

Someone said 50,000 people, I think it is probably closer to 30,000 at the most. By the way, the drive from Eureka to College of the Redwoods is awesome.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California