Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:39 AM

7 posts, read 35,798 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Mendocino or inland, around Yuba City. It's just myself and my 15 year old son. I grew up in CT, lived in WY for one year, then southern NH for 5 years (loved it, but very expensive...probably worth it for what you get) and now and in rural NW Arkansas the last, almost 2 years. I am now out of a job. I am a renter so I feel that we can go anywhere, at this point. My two older kids have recently moved to San Diego and are surviving but working hard. I figure that if I am willing to work hard, we should be able to make it. Having lived a few different places, I realize it takes a long time to settle into a new home, get to know the people and feel "at home". But people ARE different everywhere and for me, living in the Bible Belt (although beautiful country living in an old country house) just isn't for me. The school is terrible and I hate to say but I find the people quite boring. I am not a drinker but I do enjoy socializing and having some culture & fun around me. Here, I could drive 3 hours and still be NOWHERE. There's nothing here. I don't feel like working at a Tyson factory plucking chicken feathers off of dead chickens....so the job market for me here is limited. I may be a "country girl" in many ways (love heating with wood, lots of wonderful flowers, my beautiful birds, deer & bunnies in the yard) but I grew up with more culture and socializing than here and need more. Hey, I drove by "Revival" yesterday.....ah, decided not to go....just one of those things I don't feel a need to see! Besides, if I stay here too long, I'm going to end up talkin' like these folks and forget proper English! As in, I'm fixin' to go to the market....it's just a bit too much!!! I look for the best when I move and I ususally find it. Funny how this state is full of ex Californians...amazing...I don't understand it. If you have lots of money, can buy a huge piece of property and don't mind being alone, love the country then this is a goood place for you. But for myself and my son...we need more...better weather, intelligent people, beautiful nature and some opportunity for socializing!! I may be 47 but I'm not dead yet....I need some "life" back in my life. So, does anyone think a single Mom can somehow "make it" in that N. California area? Not everyone can possibly have tons of money to survive there, can they? I am more than willing to drive up to an hour for work. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. I am getting my belongings together, to sell and see if I can do this. My son is heading North to see family for the summer so I'm hoping maybe he can just fly to Cali at summer's end and meet me out there! Any ideas, thoughts? Thanks again! Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 AM

138 posts, read 510,862 times
Well number one...just don't say cali. We californians never say that when refering to the state.Yuba City is quite boring. It is however close to Sacramento where there are many more things to do.There was a glut of housing built during the housing boom of several years ago so you could probably get housing real cheap. I have heard the schools ar not so good. You also mentioned Mendocino. Did you mean the city or the county.Not as many things to do there and housing might be a problem.It is very mush a laid back life style, in the town of Mendocino.Very foggy most of the yaer but the people are great. I grew up in Sonoma county near by and spent alot of time out at the coast. Great fresh seafood but otherwise kind of pricey for your basic needs. After living out here on the east course for the last few months (and moving back later this year) I have come to realize there are just as many expensive palces to live besides california. Housing costs maybe higher there but other needs can be equally pricey. I too have teenagers and they cannot wait to move back home.Not just because they miss their friends but they miss the weather and access to so many things to do, festivals and great palces to visit. I say go for it. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 AM

Default Thanks so much!

Cali....I got that from my kids....OOPS! so I won't say that again!! Thanks for that info! It reminds me of when we moved here....to remember to say Missouri instead of Misery...lol.

I was told that Marysville, near Yuba City is fairly cheap so that's what got me looking in that area. My sister says that Mendocino (the town) is thee place to go. But it seems that it is also more expensive to live there. I don't mind rural living, might even prefer it but want to have the ability to drive an hour and actually BE somewhere!!

I'm not a high dollar earner and don't need fancy living arrangements but I do want clean & safe. I am pretty handy and am willing to fix a place up as long as it doesn't need a total overhaul!

It was 1750 miles driving here and almost 2000 from here to there...so, I'll have a long drive and am trying to figure out how to let many of my "favorite things" go.....take what I really, really want/need and go from there. I may be able to trade my car for a pickup and maybe send out what I can't fit in my vehicle.

I must be crazy, even thinking of doing this but what the hell? It's not like I know anyone here or have a job now anyways....If I have to start over, it might as well be somewhere better. The schools couldn't possibly be worse! The Spanish teacher tells my son that the Muslims hate ALL of US. I told the school they may hate YOU but they don't hate us! Don't assume we are ALL Christians here. My son & I don't care what religion someone is, as long as they're a good person. They also don't believe in Global Warming or evolution.....a bit too Bible for us....and when you're talking "Bible" here.....it's different than anything I've known!

My son has 3 more years of HS and I want him to finish up in a better place than here....somewhere better, more open...where there may be better opportunities for life, in general. This isn't it.

Thanks again,
Lisa

Old 06-01-2009, 07:42 AM

6 posts, read 28,806 times
Have you ever considered leaving the county, there is a great island between aruba and trinidad called Margarita Island. It has the cheapest cost of living in the world. It is also the most livable island in the caribbean, and gas is 4 cents a gallon.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 AM

6 posts, read 28,806 times
Real estate here on the island is still going up 30% a year, and its very cheap.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:45 AM

Default Maybe in 3 years!!

Ah, when my youngest leaves the nest, anything is possible....yea, a remote island in the middle of the ocean.....you never know.....Too bad I'm not a big seafood fan! Darn...Thanks for the idea though. I'll consider anything about now!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
I love Mendocino, but there is not a lot of work there. It seems to be a great place to retire. The town relies on tourism for it's survival.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM

138 posts, read 510,862 times
I cannot imagine having my kids attend a school with that attitude. The change from one state to the next can be amazing and shocking.The drive cross country is definately doable . I did it with 3 kids. My husband drove himself with the pets. I think he got the better deal.Anyway my point is if you think it is the best thing right now do it. But I would definately recommend visiting these 2 very different locations and talk to locals before you haul it all the way there. I would advise you fly into sacramento if you could and then rent a car to drive around to various locations. you could also look at the sacramento Bee for job lisiting in the marysville/yuba city/sacramento locations. I am not sure of the most local large paper for the town of Mendocino but you could look at the Santa Rosa Press Democrat for Sonoma County information . This is the Next county down from Mendocino , I believe.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
The town of Mendocino, and Mendocino County, are both very remote. The biggest cities in the county are small towns (Ukiah and Willits) and jobs are kind of scarce. That being said, it is really beautiful country, an odd mix of very conservative country folks and very liberal hippies who somehow get along (at least most of the time.) If your objective is to have a major city within an hour, Mendocino County might not be your first choice. But there might be enough for you to do in a place like Mendocino. If you're a country girl at heart, it definitely qualifies.

Marysville/Yuba City (the two towns are "twins," just across the river from each other) is a small valley city, not in fabulous shape but not too bad either. Marysville is a little longer on charm and historic character, while Yuba City is more industrial in character. Valley towns tend to be more conservative than coastal and urban areas, although I'm not sure how they stack up compared to the deep Bible Belt. The valley has its own sort of beauty too, and it's close to the Sierras (and the world's smallest mountain range, the Sutter Buttes), so while it's not quite as scenic as Mendocino County it isn't without its charms.

While some might argue whether Sacramento constitutes a major city, it is large enough to have a lot of attractions compared to Mendocino County.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Default Thanks to everyone!

I greatly appreciate all of this advice. I certainly have a lot to think about. I'm not really in a financial position to "visit first" but will definitely be doing my research. Did someone say Mendocino is considered remote? It's so funny, because I wonder what "remote" means there. It has a different meaning in other places so I can't quite picture it yet. Remote here is NOT being able to get anywhere decent for at least a 3 hour drive and that only gets you to Little Rock...not my thrill. Thirty minutes to a town that has the standard real stores besides convenience/gas and Flea Markets.

I like the sound of the mix of Mendocino...I really do enjoy LOTS of different types people and like the hippie attitude....I enjoy a good mix.

I appreciate the info. on Yuba City & Marysville, too. Those areas may be cheaper and realistic for me but unfortunately not near the coast. I know of a woman who lives in Marysville, I'm trying to reach so that would be some connection. I wonder about all the little towns from the coast, inland. I wonder if I can find work within an hour ride from those places and how the commute would be.

To live near the ocean would be a real pleasure.

I am very much a people person but need some "nature space" (solitude) in my life, too.

Thanks again..so much.
Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California