Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:42 AM

8 posts, read 17,028 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm 18 and I'm considering moving to California. I'm bored here in Texas, and on TV California seems so fun and young. On CW and MTV, the shows are always based in Los Angeles or whatever, and I want to join them! My parents think I should stay in Texas and go to community college, but that's boring. I want to go to school in California and live there too.

My problem is, is this a good idea? I really only have till September to make my decision. Should I stay in Houston or move to California
Considering that California is larger than Texas as far as population, life must be easy there, right? Well, easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 11:09 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgrl View Post
I'm bored here in Texas, and on TV California seems so fun and young. On CW and MTV, the shows are always based in Los Angeles or whatever, and I want to join them!
You watch too much TV.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
TV can't even be relied on for accurate news coverage. You think what you see on fictional shows is real?

If you believe CSI Miami everything is richly colored green, blue and red. Every female in the police department has a great body and shows cleavage at the office too. EVERYTHING on TV shows is an exaggeration.

So if you move to California how will you afford to live? You expect your parents to pay your bills?

I kindly suggest that you stay put, advance your education, and find something to do. Houston isn't a boring city.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,662 times
STAY IN TEXAS. Browse these forums if you need reasons why.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
You're clueless. Listen to your parents.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Hi, I'm 18 and I'm considering moving to California. I'm bored here in Texas, and on TV California seems so fun and young. On CW and MTV, the shows are always based in Los Angeles or whatever, and I want to join them! My parents think I should stay in Texas and go to community college, but that's boring. I want to go to school in California and live there too.

My problem is, is this a good idea? I really only have till September to make my decision. Should I stay in Houston or move to California
Considering that California is larger than Texas as far as population, life must be easy there, right? Well, easier.
oh my, another one that is watching too much TV. First, if you don't have a job you should get one, 2-stay in Texas for the next few years at least, 3-without an education and good training you can get no job in California, even with training it would be almost impossible and 4-you can't go to college in Cal even community college without paying out of state tuition. Are your parents ready for you to pay thousands of $$ for community college? Where will you live, do you have a huge savings?

oh and one more thing: what do you mean you want to join them, do you mean join the show or join, what you think would be fun?

I think you get the picture...

Nita

Old 06-16-2009, 12:03 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
TV glamorizes California...it is not all it's cracked up to be. Trust me I use to live there in Southern California. Stay put and explore the area you are at right now. Things are not that bad where you r now. Also the stuff you see on MTV and the CW is from the Warner Bros lot not the real world. And all the other shows like Cribs and such a person like you and I couldn't even drive yet alone afford to get close to that world. And the beaches are just as bad as the Texas Coast beaches. Nasty, dirty and there is cigerette butts everywhere and trash. Only a few private beaches up the coast off hwy 1 are nice...but they are PRIVATE all you can do is drive by them.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 17,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh my, another one that is watching too much TV. First, if you don't have a job you should get one, 2-stay in Texas for the next few years at least, 3-without an education and good training you can get no job in California, even with training it would be almost impossible and 4-you can't go to college in Cal even community college without paying out of state tuition. Are your parents ready for you to pay thousands of $$ for community college? Where will you live, do you have a huge savings?

oh and one more thing: what do you mean you want to join them, do you mean join the show or join, what you think would be fun?

I think you get the picture...

Nita
I don't really watch much TV, well not as much as I used to. I was just referencing. What's wrong with California? Okay, so maybe not now, but what if I move after college? I'm thinking there's a lot of jobs and more opportunity?
I was on Craigslist looking at some rooms around L.A. and I guess I should wait. Who would pay more than $2000 in rent for a one bedroom, when I can pay $1000 in Houston for a 3 bedroom. I know California is expensive, but I think most of the property there aren't worth their price. All the apartments there are so small. I don't know, I really want to go there. And your governor is always advertising here for us to move there. Looks really attractive.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
I don't really watch much TV, well not as much as I used to. I was just referencing. What's wrong with California? Okay, so maybe not now, but what if I move after college? I'm thinking there's a lot of jobs and more opportunity?
I was on Craigslist looking at some rooms around L.A. and I guess I should wait. Who would pay more than $2000 in rent for a one bedroom, when I can pay $1000 in Houston for a 3 bedroom. I know California is expensive, but I think most of the property there aren't worth their price. All the apartments there are so small. I don't know, I really want to go there. And your governor is always advertising here for us to move there. Looks really attractive.
What's wrong with California right now is that it's over-crowded, under-employed, over-priced, over-lawed, over-taxed and over-regulated. Other than that its got nice weather and just about every type of topgraphy you could wish for. The trick is finding a job that will pay you enough to live and enjoy some of its features and then keeping 9it in the face of the current recession.

Like photography models and actors, California has been made up and air-brushed by the media. While it certainly has it's good features, it also has its warts and scars and at age 18 without extensive work experience and/or a college education, you'd be landing right in the middle of them. I won't go on to describe where that will lead.

By the way, I'm a native Californian, as is my wife, and we are moving to another state as soon as she recovers from recent surgery. The Golden State has tarnished for us and for many.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Okay, so maybe not now, but what if I move after college? I'm thinking there's a lot of jobs and more opportunity?
Now you're talking. But make that a 4 year degree instead of a 2 year community college degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California